Thread: What opera have you purchased recently?

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Necessities of life: food, water, air, shelter, and opera.

2. Likes MAuer, Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonata View Post

I'm looking forward to getting this one in the mail on Tuesday
    This DVD comes with a special 'extra'. At the interval and after the curtain call, the camera pans the audience and I'm there, looking suitably awestruck!

[Good job I didn't pull a sickie]

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    This DVD comes with a special 'extra'. At the interval and after the curtain call, the camera pans the audience and I'm there, looking suitably awestruck!

I never got this one because... Angela. Not a big fan. But the above is reason enough to buy it! Wow!
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

5. Likes Hoffmann, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Senior Member Veteran Member Povero Buoso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was waiting until the first opportunity to get this and did so immediately

Name:  91vZIvp2lmL._SL1500_.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  95.7 KB

I think im going to take a break from watching new operas for a little bit. My funds cannot keep up with all the recordings i need for my ipod!
    "Non sono in vena" Rodolfo summing up P.B's feelings on his dissertation.

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post

posted in wrong thread?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post

posted in wrong thread?
    I did just purchase it a few days ago, and am listening to it from a library copy while I wait for it to be delivered.

Senior Member Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    I never got this one because... Angela. Not a big fan. But the above is reason enough to buy it! Wow!
    Her CDs aren't anything special for me, but I've enjoyed her acting in video performances of La Boheme and La Traviata Besides....Jonas Kaufmann.

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

This one is in my UWP. I just looked and can't find the interval, which I think you mean is the intermission. I did see that she gives Scarpia a second thrust when he refuses to drop dead.

12. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone have a relatively traditional Tannhauser or Lohengrin DVD they recommend? A new-to-opera friend was telling me that they found German opera hard to get into and I blurted "I'll lend you some DVDs!" before realizing that I only own regie productions for Tannhauser (the Sasha Waltz one where everyone dances all the time, the Baumgarten human waste recycling one) and Lohengrin (the Jones builder one, the Neuenfels rat one). I do quite like the Met's very traditional Tannhauser from a couple seasons back, but that one's not out on DVD yet.

... actually, I've just bought the Robert Carsen artist Tannhauser, but haven't watched it yet

Senior Member Involved Member Nemorino's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dichteurehalle View Post
    Does anyone have a relatively traditional Tannhauser or Lohengrin DVD they recommend? A new-to-opera friend was telling me that they found German opera hard to get into and I blurted "I'll lend you some DVDs!" before realizing that I only own regie productions for Tannhauser (the Sasha Waltz one where everyone dances all the time, the Baumgarten human waste recycling one) and Lohengrin (the Jones builder one, the Neuenfels rat one). I do quite like the Met's very traditional Tannhauser from a couple seasons back, but that one's not out on DVD yet.

... actually, I've just bought the Robert Carsen artist Tannhauser, but haven't watched it yet
    I enjoyed the Lehnhoff/Nagano Lohengrin production; it was my very memorable introduction to Waltraud Meier and Klaus Florian Vogt. The production is minimalistic but visually striking. And you can stream it off Amazon, for *free* if you have a Prime account.

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do quite like the Met's very traditional Tannhauser from a couple seasons back, but that one's not out on DVD yet.
    I think that Met Tannhäuser has been around for a while. Tannhäuser is not an opera the Met - or any opera house, for that matter - does very often if for no other reason than there aren't many tenors that can handle the role (I've seen a Jonas Kaufmann interview, which I believe is posted here somewhere, in which he states that he's unsure he will ever be prepared to sing the role).

That said, I saw the Met's Tannhäuser when the production was new in the late 1970s - I don't recall most of the cast except that Grace Bumbry sang Venus and Bernd Weikl sang Wolfram. That Otto Schenk production, which is so traditional it would make Richard Wagner's heart go pitty-pat, was awesome and set a standard of excellence that all productions should meet (In my mind, I can still see the foggy Wartburg...). The timing of Tannhäuser's re-entry at the end, but only at the last possible second, with the Pilgrims' Chorus hitting its stride, and his staff held high with leaves sprouting at the tip, can still keep me awake at night. What a night at the opera!

16. Likes Dichteurehalle, Nemorino liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemorino View Post
    I enjoyed the Lehnhoff/Nagano Lohengrin production; it was my very memorable introduction to Waltraud Meier and Klaus Florian Vogt. The production is minimalistic but visually striking. And you can stream it off Amazon, for *free* if you have a Prime account.
    I also enjoyed the Nagano production with Meier. However, I also like Frey and Studer for a more traditional performance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh haha yes, the Otto Schenk is from the 70s, I meant the recording they made of the 2015 vintage.

I may never be able to join WERMA as a result, but I love this production! And (like you) I really enjoyed Act 3 - the dim outlines of trees on the mountain in the distance, the procession of pilgrims that ends without any sign of Tannhauser, Elizabeth slowly walking up the leaf-strewn path for the last time, as we hear the beginning of Wie Todesahnung, and the very end when the women of the chorus sing with refrain of the Pilgerchor. It was so wonderful! I remember watching an interview where Gunther Groissbock said that he had hoped to sing in this production ever since he first saw it as a student in Vienna.

It's one of my opera regrets that, for whatever reason, I only watched it once in 2015, RIP Johan Botha. Hopefully it's not too long until we get the next revival!

19. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dichteurehalle View Post
    Oh haha yes, the Otto Schenk is from the 70s, I meant the recording they made of the 2015 vintage.

I may never be able to join WERMA as a result, but I love this production! And (like you) I really enjoyed Act 3 - the dim outlines of trees on the mountain in the distance, the procession of pilgrims that ends without any sign of Tannhauser, Elizabeth slowly walking up the leaf-strewn path for the last time, as we hear the beginning of Wie Todesahnung, and the very end when the women of the chorus sing with refrain of the Pilgerchor. It was so wonderful! I remember watching an interview where Gunther Groissbock said that he had hoped to sing in this production ever since he first saw it as a student in Vienna.

It's one of my opera regrets that, for whatever reason, I only watched it once in 2015, RIP Johan Botha. Hopefully it's not too long until we get the next revival!
    I can't believe the Met never committed this to DVD! I love Regie/cutting edge productions, but this is a serious traditional effort that really captures the essence of the opera, bringing home the theme of redemption so that it is unforgettable. Met! Get a grip!