Thread: What opera have you purchased recently?

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Newest Didonato CD only $6.99 Amazon USA prime......crazy low price I suggest you act fast!
    (Presto UK has "special sale" price of $15.50)

Prime members get free 2 day shipping, so like buying for $3.99 from another Amazon seller

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HarpsichordConcerto View Post
    Here is my November DVD/Blu-ray haul (Arthaus Musik)

Including the promo-cheapo Rigoletto

HC is there any reason for buying only Arthaus label discs......do you have a secret sale you are hidding from us?

Senior Member Top Contributor Member HarpsichordConcerto's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Angel View Post
    HC is there any reason for buying only Arthaus label discs......do you have a secret sale you are hidding from us?
    Presto was having a normal sale on Arthaus but it was not those crazy deep discount sales, so I picked up a few items. I think I better make it a habit to PM a few of my fellow members here when these sales take place without making the forums feel commerical. Shall do next time.

Senior Member Involved Member brianwalker's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

5. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Presto was having a normal sale on Arthaus but it was not those crazy deep discount sales, so I picked up a few items. I think I better make it a habit to PM a few of my fellow members here when these sales take place without making the forums feel commerical. Shall do next time.
    Sure, thank you for thinking of letting us know (I've bought a few products based on your hints, in the recent past). But let's think about this a little more - is there really a need to confine these hints to PMs?

There's nothing wrong with publicizing legitimate vendors' sales, in my opinion. The operatic community benefits from the sale, and these legitimate vendors need to do well in business so that they see the operatic market with more sympathy. It's a win-win situation. Selling and buying stuff is part of the free market and is good practice. I'm always surprised when people seem to see the regular conducting of business as something that is somehow not reputable. Someone putting up shop, buying and selling merchandise while paying royalties and taxes is not shameful. We do want a strong operatic marketplace; we do want recording labels to sell well, and vendors to thrive. It's all good for the art form.

It's only when vendors are pirates / bootleg makers who curtail copyrights that it is objectionable to publicize them on Opera Lively. A Presto sale is, of course, fair game. Besides, of the thousands of posts on Opera Lively, just a tiny percentage of them will mention sales and merchants; I don't think we're about to be seen as some sort of spammers who are only interested in commercial advertising. We have enough content to be clearly seen as a serious community of members who love the art form, so, no worries there.
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); November 20th, 2012 at 12:25 PM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, just to demonstrate:

Yep, like DA said, Joyce's CD is amazingly priced on Amazon.com - $6.99, I just got mine. Link [here]

Actually same as buying for $3 from another vendor. Isn't shipping usually $3.99? Or is it $2.99? I haven't had any shipping charges for years now, I've been a Prime member for a long time.

By the way, I'm irritated that Amazon.com doesn't offer Riccardo Muti's book on Verdi. I contacted them to solicit the inclusion. I can order it from Amazon.it but with shipping and currency conversion it will be more than $35, while if they carry the Kindle edition here, it will be less than $10. If Spain and the UK have the Kindle e-book, why not the USA site? I've learned that we can't buy Kindle editions across the pond, so, I'm waiting to see if they'll offer it here before spending $35 for a hard copy that will take some 3 weeks to arrive.
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); November 20th, 2012 at 05:26 AM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brianwalker View Post
    Yaaaay!!!! That is fabulous!!!
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Almaviva View Post
    Sure, thank you for thinking of letting us know (I've bought a few products based on your hints, in the recent past). But let's think about this a little more - is there really a need to confine these hints to PMs?

There's nothing wrong with publicizing legitimate vendors' sales, in my opinion. The operatic community benefits from the sale, and these legitimate vendors need to do well in business so that they see the operatic market with more sympathy. It's a win-win situation. Selling and buying stuff is part of the free market and is good practice. I'm always surprised when people seem to see the regular conduct of business as something that is somehow not reputable. Someone putting up shop, buying and selling merchandise while paying royalties and taxes is not shameful. We do want a strong operatic marketplace; we do want recording labels to sell well, and vendors to thrive. It's all good for the art form.

It's only when vendors are pirates / bootleg makers who curtail copyrights that it is objectionable to publicize them on Opera Lively. A Presto sale is, of course, fair game. Besides, of the thousands of posts on Opera Lively, just a tiny percentage of them will mention sales and merchants; I don't think we're about to be seen as some sort of spammers who are only interested in commercial advertising. We have enough content to be clearly seen as a serious community of members who love the art form, so, no worries there.
    Noted. I am more than happy to post what I come across right here for the benefit of our wallets. All legitimate open market sales via the internet, just don't blame me if your bank manager comes looking for you!

Senior Member Veteran Member Aksel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Angel View Post

Newest Didonato CD only $6.99 Amazon USA prime......crazy low price I suggest you act fast!
    (Presto UK has "special sale" price of $15.50)

Prime members get free 2 day shipping, so like buying for $3.99 from another Amazon seller
    If you haven't bought this, you are seriously missing out what has got to be one of the best recordings of the last decade. At least.

Senior Member Involved Member emiellucifuge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ive just received the Colin Davis Tosca with Caballé and Carreras, do you have an opinion on it?

Banned Top Contributor Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by emiellucifuge View Post
    Ive just received the Colin Davis Tosca with Caballé and Carreras, do you have an opinion on it?
    It's as good as you can expect from recording with singers of such class as Carreras or Caballe, but there are so many Toscas with great singers that this one is hardly one of the top. Even from Toscas with Carreras I prefer one with Ricciarelli in title role. And I don't think Wixell's voice fits the character of Scarpia.

13. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Banned Top Contributor Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aksel View Post
    If you haven't bought this, you are seriously missing out what has got to be one of the best recordings of the last decade. At least.
    I'd even say it's one of best recordings of last 500 years... I would hesitate to say last 800 though.

15. Likes Aksel liked this post
    Staff Writer & Reviewer - Life-time Donor Veteran Member Jephtha's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by emiellucifuge View Post
    The one advantage I feel this performance has is that it includes the quiet chords just after 'Vissi d'arte', which I had never heard anywhere else. I love Caballe, but I prefer a slightly more frenzied approach to the role. And pace Anne, for me Wixell's Scarpia is a marvelous characterisation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aksel View Post
    That good? If you say so, then I will have to buy one. Lovely picture of her.

Senior Member Veteran Member Aksel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    That good? If you say so, then I will have to buy one. Lovely picture of her.
    It's amazing. Her best recording to date. Although I am of the opinion that the woman cannot do anything wrong.