Thread: What opera have you purchased recently?

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    More Callas, another large boxset to complement complete EMI studio boxset, 64 CDs covering 30 operas. Retails for $80 new at Amazon sellers, there is CD ROM booklet disc plus track info on each opera digipak.

Amazingly high quality packaging (much better than EMI studio boxset) with operas grouped by composer in smaller individual boxes each with nice photo, each individual opera inside has its own digipak with individual photos from that opera, sweet!

The reason this compliments studio set is this Membran label set mixes in live and studio recordings giving you different performances, also includes older performances before Callas signed 1953 EMI recording contract going back as far as 1949

Name:  P1010318_zps99610964-1_zpsd589c12f.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  76.2 KB

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Angel View Post
    More Callas, another large boxset to complement complete EMI studio boxset, 64 CDs covering 30 operas. Retails for $80 new at Amazon sellers, there is CD ROM booklet disc plus track info on each opera digipak.

Amazingly high quality packaging (much better than EMI studio boxset) with operas grouped by composer in smaller individual boxes each with nice photo, each individual opera inside has its own digipak with individual photos from that opera, sweet!

The reason this compliments studio set is than this Membran label set mixes in live and studio recordings giving you different performances, also includes older performances before Callas signed 1953 EMI recording contract going back as far as 1949
    Wow D_A that is fabulous! When you break it down to cost per opera it's very reasonable & you get goodies as well.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Senior Member Involved Member brianwalker's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Name:  falstaff.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  22.0 KB

I'm loving this so much I might even concede to Aksel that Falstaff is better than Otello, and I never admit that I'm wrong, to anybody, ever.

Senior Member Top Contributor Member HarpsichordConcerto's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The reason this compliments studio set is than this Membran label set mixes in live and studio recordings giving you different performances, also includes older performances before Callas signed 1953 EMI recording contract going back as far as 1949
    Wow, that's looks like worth getting. Let us know what you think of the recorded sound, especially the much older recordings when you can.

Senior Member Veteran Member Aksel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brianwalker View Post
    I'm loving this so much I might even concede to Aksel that Falstaff is better than Otello, and I never admit that I'm wrong, to anybody, ever.
    RESULT! I haven't actually listened to this recording, but it looks very tempting indeed just looking at the cast and conductor. I prefer the Karajan '52 recording with Gobbi, Schwarzkopf and a very young Anna Moffo myself.

Banned Top Contributor Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aksel View Post
    RESULT!
    Final result of antinomy ; feelin' like a prince among peasants...disgusting..!!My master,conduct the world!!!Conduct the this Babylon!!!!

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brianwalker View Post
    Name:  falstaff.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  22.0 KB

Aksel is never wrong

And you should get this one as well, it's my favourite (until that is, they release the new Robert Carsen which I saw last year)

"The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

8. Likes Aksel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Solti one is lovely as well.

Staff Writer & Reviewer - Life-time Donor Veteran Member Jephtha's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I prefer the Karajan '52 recording with Gobbi, Schwarzkopf and a very young Anna Moffo myself.
    I think I have heard every studio Falstaff, and IMO none of them can approach this recording that Aksel has cited. Even the much-lauded Toscanini falls flat beside this one, at least to my ear.

11. Likes Aksel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jephtha View Post
    I think I have heard every studio Falstaff, and IMO none of them can approach this recording that Aksel has cited. Even the much-lauded Toscanini falls flat beside this one, at least to my ear.
    I do agree. I may not have heard as many recordings (although I've heard quite a few), and none of them comes close in terms of characterisation and general orchestra playing. The winds are just incredible. Really, everything fits.

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    RESULT! I haven't actually listened to this recording, but it looks very tempting indeed just looking at the cast and conductor. I prefer the Karajan '52 recording with Gobbi, Schwarzkopf and a very young Anna Moffo myself.
    For the record the Falstaff you are describing is a 1956 stereo recording from Kingsway Hall London......going to give it a spin now

Because Verdi's 2nd opera the comedy Un Giorno di Regno was received so badly he nearly gave up opera composing and did not attempt another comedy till his final work Falstaff........

14. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    For the record the Falstaff you are describing is a 1956 stereo recording from Kingsway Hall London......going to give it a spin now
    Yes. Sorry. I was unsure of the year of that recording.

Senior Member Top Contributor Member HarpsichordConcerto's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sample of my first haul for 2013, beginning with Handel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maskarade is such a wonderful opera! Do enjoy it, HC!

18. Thanks HarpsichordConcerto thanked for this post
    Banned Top Contributor Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maskarade is such a wonderful opera! Do enjoy it, HC!
    Do not enjoy it HC... or perhaps just a little bit. Just remember who you are.

20. Likes Aksel, HarpsichordConcerto liked this post