Thread: What opera have you purchased recently?

          
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #451
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio USA
    Posts
    1,286
    Post Thanks / Like
    More Callas, another large boxset to complement complete EMI studio boxset, 64 CDs covering 30 operas. Retails for $80 new at Amazon sellers, there is CD ROM booklet disc plus track info on each opera digipak.

    Amazingly high quality packaging (much better than EMI studio boxset) with operas grouped by composer in smaller individual boxes each with nice photo, each individual opera inside has its own digipak with individual photos from that opera, sweet!

    The reason this compliments studio set is this Membran label set mixes in live and studio recordings giving you different performances, also includes older performances before Callas signed 1953 EMI recording contract going back as far as 1949


    Name:  P1010318_zps99610964-1_zpsd589c12f.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  76.2 KB


  2. #452
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,632
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Angel View Post
    More Callas, another large boxset to complement complete EMI studio boxset, 64 CDs covering 30 operas. Retails for $80 new at Amazon sellers, there is CD ROM booklet disc plus track info on each opera digipak.

    Amazingly high quality packaging (much better than EMI studio boxset) with operas grouped by composer in smaller individual boxes each with nice photo, each individual opera inside has its own digipak with individual photos from that opera, sweet!

    The reason this compliments studio set is than this Membran label set mixes in live and studio recordings giving you different performances, also includes older performances before Callas signed 1953 EMI recording contract going back as far as 1949
    Wow D_A that is fabulous! When you break it down to cost per opera it's very reasonable & you get goodies as well.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

  3. #453
    Senior Member Involved Member brianwalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    129
    Post Thanks / Like
    Name:  falstaff.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  22.0 KB

    I'm loving this so much I might even concede to Aksel that Falstaff is better than Otello, and I never admit that I'm wrong, to anybody, ever.

  4. #454
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member HarpsichordConcerto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    25 Brook Street, Mayfair (London)
    Posts
    1,125
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Angel View Post
    More Callas, another large boxset to complement complete EMI studio boxset, 64 CDs covering 30 operas. Retails for $80 new at Amazon sellers, there is CD ROM booklet disc plus track info on each opera digipak.

    Amazingly high quality packaging (much better than EMI studio boxset) with operas grouped by composer in smaller individual boxes each with nice photo, each individual opera inside has its own digipak with individual photos from that opera, sweet!

    The reason this compliments studio set is than this Membran label set mixes in live and studio recordings giving you different performances, also includes older performances before Callas signed 1953 EMI recording contract going back as far as 1949
    Wow, that's looks like worth getting. Let us know what you think of the recorded sound, especially the much older recordings when you can.

  5. #455
    Senior Member Veteran Member Aksel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    925
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brianwalker View Post
    I'm loving this so much I might even concede to Aksel that Falstaff is better than Otello, and I never admit that I'm wrong, to anybody, ever.
    RESULT! I haven't actually listened to this recording, but it looks very tempting indeed just looking at the cast and conductor. I prefer the Karajan '52 recording with Gobbi, Schwarzkopf and a very young Anna Moffo myself.

  6. #456
    Banned Top Contributor Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,458
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aksel View Post
    RESULT!
    Final result of antinomy ; feelin' like a prince among peasants...disgusting..!!My master,conduct the world!!!Conduct the this Babylon!!!!

  7. #457
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,632
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brianwalker View Post
    Name:  falstaff.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  22.0 KB

    I'm loving this so much I might even concede to Aksel that Falstaff is better than Otello, and I never admit that I'm wrong, to anybody, ever.
    Aksel is never wrong

    And you should get this one as well, it's my favourite (until that is, they release the new Robert Carsen which I saw last year)

    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

  8. Likes Aksel liked this post
  9. #458
    Senior Member Veteran Member Aksel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    925
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Solti one is lovely as well.

  10. #459
    Staff Writer & Reviewer - Life-time Donor Veteran Member Jephtha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Jose, California
    Posts
    541
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aksel View Post
    I prefer the Karajan '52 recording with Gobbi, Schwarzkopf and a very young Anna Moffo myself.
    I think I have heard every studio Falstaff, and IMO none of them can approach this recording that Aksel has cited. Even the much-lauded Toscanini falls flat beside this one, at least to my ear.

  11. Likes Aksel liked this post
  12. #460
    Senior Member Veteran Member Aksel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    925
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jephtha View Post
    I think I have heard every studio Falstaff, and IMO none of them can approach this recording that Aksel has cited. Even the much-lauded Toscanini falls flat beside this one, at least to my ear.
    I do agree. I may not have heard as many recordings (although I've heard quite a few), and none of them comes close in terms of characterisation and general orchestra playing. The winds are just incredible. Really, everything fits.

  13. #461
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio USA
    Posts
    1,286
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aksel View Post
    RESULT! I haven't actually listened to this recording, but it looks very tempting indeed just looking at the cast and conductor. I prefer the Karajan '52 recording with Gobbi, Schwarzkopf and a very young Anna Moffo myself.
    For the record the Falstaff you are describing is a 1956 stereo recording from Kingsway Hall London......going to give it a spin now

    Because Verdi's 2nd opera the comedy Un Giorno di Regno was received so badly he nearly gave up opera composing and did not attempt another comedy till his final work Falstaff........


  14. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
  15. #462
    Senior Member Veteran Member Aksel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    925
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Angel View Post
    For the record the Falstaff you are describing is a 1956 stereo recording from Kingsway Hall London......going to give it a spin now
    Yes. Sorry. I was unsure of the year of that recording.

  16. #463
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member HarpsichordConcerto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    25 Brook Street, Mayfair (London)
    Posts
    1,125
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sample of my first haul for 2013, beginning with Handel.




















  17. #464
    Senior Member Veteran Member Aksel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    925
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maskarade is such a wonderful opera! Do enjoy it, HC!

  18. Thanks HarpsichordConcerto thanked for this post
  19. #465
    Banned Top Contributor Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,458
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aksel View Post
    Maskarade is such a wonderful opera! Do enjoy it, HC!
    Do not enjoy it HC... or perhaps just a little bit. Just remember who you are.

  20. Likes Aksel, HarpsichordConcerto liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. What vocal music have you purchased recently?
    By Clayton in forum Other Classical Vocal Music
    Replies: 312
    Last Post: November 19th, 2017, 07:24 PM
  2. I've been fond of drawing beavers recently
    By Aramis in forum Off-topic discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: April 17th, 2012, 05:57 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


free html visitor counters
hit counter




Official Media Partners of Opera Carolina

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Opera Carolina

Official Media Partners of NC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of North Carolina Opera

Official Media Partners of Greensboro Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Greensboro Opera

Official Media Partners of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute and Piedmont Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute
of the University of North Carolina School of the Arts and Piedmont Opera

Official Media Partners of Asheville Lyric Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Asheville Lyric Opera

Official Media Partners of UNC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of UNC Opera
Dept. of Music, UNC-Chapel Hill College of Arts and Sciences

www.operalively.com

VISIT WWW.OPERALIVELY.COM FOR ALL YOUR OPERA NEEDS