Thread: What opera have you purchased recently?

          
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #586
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member HarpsichordConcerto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    25 Brook Street, Mayfair (London)
    Posts
    1,125
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bought quite a number of recordings, amongst the more recent include

    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 93
Size:  36.1 KB

    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 78
Size:  70.1 KB



    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 78
Size:  36.2 KB

  2. #587
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio USA
    Posts
    1,286
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have made an initial test purchase of two Pristine Classical 32 bit XR remasters (with ambient stereo) of a couple Callas classics, 1953 Lucia di Lammermoor and 1955 live Norma.

    They cost a small fortune but the sound quality from extended samples is truely amazing!

    http://archive.constantcontact.com/f...303244015.html

  3. Likes Nervous Gentleman liked this post
  4. #588
    Senior Member Involved Member Itullian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    So. Cal.
    Posts
    419
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Angel View Post
    I have made an initial test purchase of two Pristine Classical 32 bit XR remasters (with ambient stereo) of a couple Callas classics, 1953 Lucia di Lammermoor and 1955 live Norma.

    They cost a small fortune but the sound quality from extended samples is truely amazing!

    http://archive.constantcontact.com/f...303244015.html
    that sounds fantastic DA. but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to navigate that site.

  5. #589
    Senior Member Involved Member Itullian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    So. Cal.
    Posts
    419
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey DA,
    I spent a little time on the Pristine site and was finally able to figure out
    how to get around there.
    Now i just have to wait to receive the Kraus Ring i just ordered to see if i can hear a big difference in sound.
    What I heard of the Ring sounded a little strident up top to me.
    What did you think?
    And you're right, the cds do cost a small fortune.

  6. #590
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio USA
    Posts
    1,286
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Itullian View Post
    Hey DA,
    I spent a little time on the Pristine site and was finally able to figure out
    how to get around there.
    Now i just have to wait to receive the Kraus Ring i just ordered to see if i can hear a big difference in sound.
    What I heard of the Ring sounded a little strident up top to me.
    What did you think?
    And you're right, the cds do cost a small fortune.
    Don't expect to hear any noticeable improvement in sound with deluxe opera d oro release of Krauss Ring, the main attraction is full size booklet for each opera.

    The Pristine Classical 32 bit XR remaster of Krauss Ring is such a large improvement in sound I almost can't believe it, they have 10-15 samples for each opera on website, my plan is to buy Krauss Gotterdammerung (not the entire ring) to supplement the opera d oro deluxe set.

    To help finance this I have sold the new Orfeo remaster of Krauss Ring which for me was not much of an improvement, at least compared to the Pristine Classical remaster

  7. #591
    Senior Member Involved Member Itullian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    So. Cal.
    Posts
    419
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Angel View Post
    Don't expect to hear any noticeable improvement in sound with deluxe opera d oro release of Krauss Ring, the main attraction is full size booklet for each opera.

    The Pristine Classical 32 bit XR remaster of Krauss Ring is such a large improvement in sound I almost can't believe it, they have 10-15 samples for each opera on website, my plan is to buy Krauss Gotterdammerung (not the entire ring) to supplement the opera d oro deluxe set.

    To help finance this I have sold the new Orefeo remaster of Krauss Ring which for me was not much of an improvement, at least compared to the Pristine Classical remaster
    Are you going for the ambient stereo as well?
    And what was the main improvement you heard in the sound?
    fullness? clarity? etc.
    i only see one sample for each opera?
    thanks

  8. #592
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio USA
    Posts
    1,286
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Itullian View Post
    Are you going for the ambient stereo as well?
    And what was the main improvement you heard in the sound?
    fullness? clarity? etc.
    thanks
    I am listening to the Pristine Classical Krauss Gotterdammerung sample now as I type, I can actually hear fine details in the string section and full rich brass tones, there is actually bass details to hear, woodwinds dance and cymbals shimmer. Varnay and Windgassen as clear voiced with rich overtones and vocal colors sounding very fleshed out and natural.

    By comparison every previous release is boxy and murky sounding very opaque with huge amounts of detail and nuance buried in noise and distortions, this is especially true of orchestral sections which sound very bad. Vocals are clearer but sound thin and not natural, unable to hear any fine color or nuance, sounds like typical below average mono radio broadcast from 1953

    The difference I hear is huge, improvements so big I almost can't believe it is the same performance
    I will get the ambient stereo version

  9. #593
    Senior Member Involved Member Itullian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    So. Cal.
    Posts
    419
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Angel View Post
    I am listening to the Pristine Classical Krauss Gotterdammerung sample now as I type, I can actually hear fine details in the string section and full rich brass tones, there is actually bass details to hear, woodwinds dance and cymbals shimmer. Varnay and Windgassen as clear voiced with rich overtones and vocal colors sounding very fleshed out and natural.

    By comparison every previous release is boxy and murky sounding very opaque with huge amounts of detail and nuance buried in noise and distortions, this is especially true of orchestral sections which sound very bad. Vocals are clearer but sound thin and not natural, unable to hear any fine color or nuance, sounds like typical below average mono radio broadcast from 1953

    The difference I hear is huge, improvements so big I almost can't believe it is the same performance
    I will get the ambient stereo version
    Wow, that sounds unbelievable. If thats the case I'll be getting one opera per month until I have the whole set.
    Then for the Furtwangler
    Imagine what they could do with the Knappertsbusch Ring!

  10. #594
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio USA
    Posts
    1,286
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some Handel english oratorio added to my collection





    Selling points the fine counter tenors:
    Solomon - A Scholl
    Saul - DL Ragin

  11. #595
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,479
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Angel View Post
    Selling points the fine counter tenors:
    Solomon - A Scholl
    Saul - DL Ragin
    I love that Solomon - Scholl is great. But I also love this one for the wonders of Nancy Argenta and Barbara Hendricks. it's a gorgeous work.

    Natalie

  12. Likes Nervous Gentleman liked this post
  13. #596
    Senior Member Involved Member Itullian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    So. Cal.
    Posts
    419
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Angel View Post
    I know nothing about this......but I see the listing at Amazon USA
    There is nothing really bad about the sound of Decca budget boxset so I will not be a buyer

    since my purchases are pretty much confined to Wagner and Strauss these days I think I may give the new Bohm remaster a shot.

  14. #597
    Senior Member Involved Member Nervous Gentleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Posts
    256
    Post Thanks / Like
    Giuseppe Verdi - Don Carlo

    Telecast performance, Sept. 2, 1967
    Conductor - Oliviero De Fabritiis
    NHK Symphony Orchestra (Tokyo)

    Don Carlo - Sándor Kónya
    Elisabetta di Valois - Gwyneth Jones
    Filippo II - Nicola Rossi-Lemeni
    Rodrigo - Sesto Bruscantini
    La principessa Eboli - Biserka Cvejic

    Name:  KIBM-1048.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  52.6 KB

    NHK DVD/King Records
    Hardcoded Japanese subs only
    Note: Despite B&W image above, the video is in color.

    As mentioned in another thread, this video was set to be released by VAI with English subtitles; the title was announced and a cover was prepared (see below). However, at the last minute complications arose and the release was cancelled. Hence, the only legitimate release of this video available is the Japanese disc. Despite the absence of English subtitles, I still highly recommend this DVD.

    Name:  7769647.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  15.6 KB

  15. #598
    Senior Member Involved Member Nervous Gentleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Posts
    256
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Angel View Post
    I have made an initial test purchase of two Pristine Classical 32 bit XR remasters (with ambient stereo) of a couple Callas classics, 1953 Lucia di Lammermoor and 1955 live Norma.

    They cost a small fortune but the sound quality from extended samples is truely amazing!

    http://archive.constantcontact.com/f...303244015.html
    Hey, thanks very much for the link! I'm always glad to find these small labels that really go all out to restore early recordings, be it classical, jazz or popular music.

  16. #599
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member HarpsichordConcerto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    25 Brook Street, Mayfair (London)
    Posts
    1,125
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Angel View Post
    Some Handel english oratorio added to my collection
    Great buys there, DA! I have all four of them. Excellent recordings all round.

  17. #600
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio USA
    Posts
    1,286
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HarpsichordConcerto View Post
    Great buys there, DA! I have all four of them. Excellent recordings all round.
    You would not believe how much Handel I have added in last couple weeks, I knew you would already be proud owner of those above

    Seems whenever I purchase many Handel operas/oratorios the record companies punish me by releasing same performances in large budget boxsets, but we must carry on and not worry about silly little things like money......

Similar Threads

  1. What vocal music have you purchased recently?
    By Clayton in forum Other Classical Vocal Music
    Replies: 312
    Last Post: November 19th, 2017, 07:24 PM
  2. I've been fond of drawing beavers recently
    By Aramis in forum Off-topic discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: April 17th, 2012, 05:57 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


free html visitor counters
hit counter




Official Media Partners of Opera Carolina

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Opera Carolina

Official Media Partners of NC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of North Carolina Opera

Official Media Partners of Greensboro Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Greensboro Opera

Official Media Partners of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute and Piedmont Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute
of the University of North Carolina School of the Arts and Piedmont Opera

Official Media Partners of Asheville Lyric Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Asheville Lyric Opera

Official Media Partners of UNC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of UNC Opera
Dept. of Music, UNC-Chapel Hill College of Arts and Sciences

www.operalively.com

VISIT WWW.OPERALIVELY.COM FOR ALL YOUR OPERA NEEDS