Thread: What opera have you purchased recently?

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jephtha View Post
    I worked at Tower Records in San Francisco for three years after college, and it was like paradise. With the hefty employee discount, my collection of recordings grew by leaps and bounds. There were also free promo copies of brand new recordings that were meant to be played in-store, but after a few months they were distributed amongst the employees. Those were the days!

The problem with Amazon is that, unless you know exactly what you are looking for, it is inconvenient to browse since it takes so long. The odds of finding unexpected treasures were far better at brick-and-mortar venues.
    I used to farm at the Tower also, and since I live in the Washington DC Metro Area, Hoffman may recall the old cavernous "Olsson's Books and Records" (R.I.P. John Olsson 1932-2010) before that, where I spent many a summer during my wasted youth (also known as "high school") browsing its wonderful aisles... yet, I absolutely do not agree with you (respectfully ).

To make my case, I only have to point out the left-most search/selection bars of these Amazon pages here, here, and there, as examples.

Furthermore, Amazon is constantly adding impressive new features, such as auto-ripping, which has recently transformed my buying of music (although perhaps, not as much as this), and citations in the case of books.

As a result of these features, I browse Amazon daily (very OCD I know, but that is another story) and pre-order items such as this, this, and that the day they are posted to Amazon. As a result, Amazon has done greater injury to my wallet than Tower or Olsson's ever had! Since 2003, which is as far back as Amazon's past orders feature goes back, I can see I've spent at least mid five figures on that site in total. Unfortunately, Amazon is too clever to give us a total expenditures button on that past orders page, probably in fear that people would be completely shocked at how much they spend on the site!

Schigolch
    I very rarely visit a physical recordings store anymore.

3. Likes tyroneslothrop liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Where I live, it would be difficult to find a physical, "bricks and mortar" recording store any more -- at least one devoted to the classical market. The stocks at Barnes and Noble, the one surviving big chain bookstore, are pretty meager. When I lived here in the '80s, things were different, and I often haunted the classical department at The Record Theater out in one of the suburbs. The bulk of my LP collection comes from there. And mention of Washington, D.C., brings back happy memories of Serenade Records, from whom I mail-ordered a number of opera recordings back then.

But, yes, Amazon has made things much easier (and a lot harder on the bank account).

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    From Presto UK and Amazon USA, all blu ray format (Presto has blu ray sale now)

6. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Angel View Post
    Considering all of these. Let me know which one(s) I can't do without.

8. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Staff Writer & Reviewer - Life-time Donor Veteran Member Jephtha's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tyroneslothrop View Post
    I used to farm at the Tower also, and since I live in the Washington DC Metro Area, Hoffman may recall the old cavernous "Olsson's Books and Records" (R.I.P. John Olsson 1932-2010) before that, where I spent many a summer during my wasted youth (also known as "high school") browsing its wonderful aisles... yet, I absolutely do not agree with you (respectfully ).

To make my case, I only have to point out the left-most search/selection bars of these Amazon pages here, here, and there, as examples.

Furthermore, Amazon is constantly adding impressive new features, such as auto-ripping, which has recently transformed my buying of music (although perhaps, not as much as this), and citations in the case of books.

As a result of these features, I browse Amazon daily (very OCD I know, but that is another story) and pre-order items such as this, this, and that the day they are posted to Amazon. As a result, Amazon has done greater injury to my wallet than Tower or Olsson's ever had! Since 2003, which is as far back as Amazon's past orders feature goes back, I can see I've spent at least mid five figures on that site in total. Unfortunately, Amazon is too clever to give us a total expenditures button on that past orders page, probably in fear that people would be completely shocked at how much they spend on the site!
    Oh, I wish you hadn't told me this! Now that all obstacles have been removed from browsing, I am staring potential destitution in the face! And Amazon certainly are smart not to reveal one's total expenditures, though I am afraid that would not stop me from continuing to buy any and everything.
    How far that little candle throws his beams!
    So shines a good deed in a naughty world.

The Merchant of Venice, V, i.

10. Likes MAuer, Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post
    Considering all of these. Let me know which one(s) I can't do without.
    I think you can do without the Rigoletto. The Vegas slant is OK but there are some hilarious bits, notably Monterone as an Arab sheik which made me giggle rather than shudder.

The Vespri is a good traditional staging with adequate singers (though Nucci was very good), it depends whether you already have a version you like. I think you'd enjoy the way the staging extends into the auditorium, it's well done and allows them to put on grand opera in a small theatre.

I really like the Onegin, Opolais is fantastic and the staging is very beautiful. There is an older Onegin (the figure in white on the front cover) observing the action all the way through - the most successful of the three "Onegin as a flashback movie" productions that I've seen so far ( the other two being the ROH version with Keenlyside and the Herheim production)
    Natalie

12. Thanks Amfortas thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    I really like the Onegin, Opolais is fantastic and the staging is very beautiful. There is an older Onegin (the figure in white on the front cover) observing the action all the way through - the most successful of the three "Onegin as a flashback movie" productions that I've seen so far ( the other two being the ROH version with Keenlyside and the Herheim production)
    And from the clips I've heard, Ruzinski sings Onegin beautifully. OK, you've sold me--I'm pulling the trigger on this one!

14. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    And from the clips I've heard, Ruzinski sings Onegin beautifully. OK, you've sold me--I'm pulling the trigger on this one!
    Report back when you've seen it.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Opolais looks very good, the production has reggie elements but tastefully used to enhance visuals and serve the story line.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Angel View Post
    Opolais looks very good, the production has reggie elements but tastefully used to enhance visuals and serve the story line.....
    Yes, yes, but does it have a dancing bear in it?

Cuz . . . I can only watch productions of Eugene Onegin that have a dancing bear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, yes, but does it have a dancing bear in it?

Cuz . . . I can only watch productions of Eugene Onegin that have a dancing bear.
    But only if he brings along Captain Kangaroo and Mr. Green Jeans.

Post Thanks / Like
    Svetla Vassileva in two Tutto Verdi releases.....
    The raven haired beauty wears wig for Joan of Arc

Listening to CD version now of Joan of Arc, very tuneful with plenty of dramatic arias, shame it is not performed or recorded more often

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    But only if he brings along Captain Kangaroo and Mr. Green Jeans.
    You think he's joking, don't you?

Curtain call, Eugene Onegin from de nederlanse opera
    Natalie

21. Likes Amfortas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    You think he's joking, don't you?

Curtain call, Eugene Onegin from de nederlanse opera
    Well, I guess we should be thankful it wasn't a real bear, though nothing would
    surprise me any more. (Bet the poor person inside that bear costume was roasting!)

23. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post