Thread: What opera have you purchased recently?

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    As long as I don't have to kill myself because someone doesn't love me/someone is blackmailing me into bed/someone is planning to murder my no-good ex lover/someone blew a horn, I'm all good with that.
    I bet communicating in operatic verse makes everything more dramatic. For example, imagine asking the daughters if they had finished their homework in a soprano tessitura!
    “The hand of Providence creeps among the stars, giving Slothrop the finger.”
    ― Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow

2. Likes MAuer, Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tyroneslothrop View Post
    I have it on CD and DVD and it is great! Have you seen it already? The plot is actually very similar to the one in Written on Skin.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    I have it on CD and DVD and it is great! Have you seen it already? The plot is actually very similar to the one in Written on Skin.
    No. I am quite unhappy with it actually. According to the back of the DVD box, there are subtitles in 4 different languages. The Amazon Instant Video has ZERO subtitles. That makes it useless except for someone that speaks Italian. Worst, the only available libretto is only in Italian.

I've sent an email to Amazon.com insisting they return my $7.99 and take it back. Amazon.com Instant Video supports close caption and subtitles. I don't know what they were thinking when the genius that set this up on there decided to do without the subtitles. I'll order the DVD instead.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    No. I am quite unhappy with it actually. According to the back of the DVD box, there are subtitles in 4 different languages. The Amazon Instant Video has ZERO subtitles. That makes it useless except for someone that speaks Italian. Worst, the only available libretto is only in Italian.

I've sent an email to Amazon.com insisting they return my $7.99 and take it back. Amazon.com Instant Video supports close caption and subtitles. I don't know what they were thinking when the genius that set this up on there decided to do without the subtitles. I'll order the DVD instead.
    The way Sciarrino works the vocal lines with elongated vowels and abrupt, fast delivery of the last part of the words (a very strange and interesting effect, you'll see what I'm talking about once you watch it) knowing Italian or not makes no difference since the words are utterly incomprehensible even for a native Italian speaker. So, yes, you do need the subtitles especially because the libretto is very interesting and you don't want to miss that.

Yes, these morons who keep skipping subtitles are complete idiots. Often you see no subtitles when an opera is in English and often, not as bad as what Sciarrino does but still, even native English speakers can't understand anything depending on how the operatic singing goes, so, operas almost always need subtitles; these morons need to understand this!

I remember someone talking about a Hansel und Gretel with the libretto translated into English (something you and I hate) for the sake of the children watching it:

"Well, in order to prevent the need for the children to read subtitles in order to understand the opera sung in German, we did an English version so that now the children need to read subtitles in order to understand the opera sung in English."
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    Wanted the liner-notes:

Senior Member Involved Member Itullian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The new anniversary issue of the Bohm Ring. each act of Siegfried now on separate discs. woooohooooo

Furtwangler Scala Siegfried and Gotterdammerung to complete that series.

The Bohm Meistersinger live from Bayreuth.
    My Meister collection grows again

9. Likes Amfortas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Name:  51BSd1iT6-L._AA190_.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  10.1 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Diamond in the rough, normally opera d oro label has live recordings that range from bad to OK sound, but this 1959 Lammermoor is a professional studio recording never released on major label, a hidden gem!

Very young Renata Scotto. Stephano, Bastianini at bargain price......

Senior Member Involved Member Itullian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Angel View Post

Diamond in the rough, normally opera d oro label has live recordings that range from bad to OK sound, but this 1959 Lammermoor is a professional studio recording never released on major label, a hidden gem!

Very young Renata Scotto. Stephano, Bastianini at bargain price......
    Is it cut or complete?

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Name:  51BSd1iT6-L._AA190_.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  10.1 KB
    I have seen this on the interwebs. Tell me if you make any sense of it. I'm not buying it because I simply can't listen to Bo Skovus, but I seem to remember the production was interesting if bewildering.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    I have seen this on the interwebs. Tell me if you make any sense of it. I'm not buying it because I simply can't listen to Bo Skovus, but I seem to remember the production was interesting if bewildering.
    Soave's 7,453rd's version of Don Giovanni.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Itullian View Post
    Is it cut or complete?
    Not sure if 100% complete Lammermoor, listened to last night only real fault is some singers are miked more closely than ideal but it is a studio recording

Post Thanks / Like
    We can now get a Bo Skovus Da Ponte trilogy for Mozart, a special gift perhaps......

(it is hard to mess up Le Nozze but I think M22 version has done just that)