Thread: What opera have you purchased recently?

          
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #1261
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,475
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good man - Can see the effect of various recommendations here (Prince Igor, Salome!)

    But please tell me that Presto is not going to go out of business. I simply couldn't bear it.

    (PS that Solomon is so beautiful it SHOULD be an opera). The RInaldo is pretty amazing too.
    Natalie

  2. #1262
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,475
    Post Thanks / Like
    Instant gratification downloads from Presto:



    Natalie

  3. #1263
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Berkhamsted, UK
    Posts
    4,256
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Good man - Can see the effect of various recommendations here (Prince Igor, Salome!)

    But please tell me that Presto is not going to go out of business. I simply couldn't bear it.

    (PS that Solomon is so beautiful it SHOULD be an opera). The RInaldo is pretty amazing too.
    Sensei Soave_Fanciulla recommendations are always well noted, so thank you and keep them coming!

    I would think Presto Classical is definitely doing good business! So good that the store is having to concentrate on it's core business of instruments and sheet music, leaving the CDs to their warehouse (internet). The store was packed with boxes of new deliveries of instruments and needed to work around them to find the CDs!

    Helen the nice lady in the store did offer to run over to the warehouse to get anything we wanted but I am afraid that the lady she offered to help and myself were too shy to ask her to do that...

    I will continue to buy the CDs off their web site and maybe visit the store in the summer as a day out seeing Castle Kenilworth just 10 minutes down the road from the store.

  4. #1264
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,613
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    Long awaited trip to Leamington Spa today.

    Absolutely terrible weather.

    Must be a complete fruitcake to travel in this weather.

    Anyway, I made a few purchases.
    Was this to Presto?

    Edit: Answered my own question. But this has given me an idea for a day out in the summer.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

  5. #1265
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Berkhamsted, UK
    Posts
    4,256
    Post Thanks / Like
    We had a very wet day out. Too wet to wander around finding a nice lunch spot like the last time we went ("Gustav's coffee" I think, which was lovely) and ended up at the very mediocre chain store Rouge Cafe.

    Though I would like to visit the castle. Maybe in the summer with a picnic and a Donizetti opera (Castle of Kenilworth?) on a portable device...

  6. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
  7. #1266
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Berkhamsted, UK
    Posts
    4,256
    Post Thanks / Like
    The very good selection they had in store was box collections...

    All the ones that I have been tempted to buy recently. INCLUDING

    Maria Callas: Complete Studio Recordings: Deluxe Edition [Box Set, Limited Edition]

    Name:  Maria Callas Complete Studio Recordings Deluxe Edition.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  47.0 KB

    GBP 280 (the only one I have seen so far in the UK is GBP 400+)

    But it was on the FLOOR and out of its box; so I thought no thank you.

    I was stuck staring at the Gardiner complete BACH cantata set for about 300 seconds... (GBP 180)

    Then remembered retirement means TIME rich, CASH poor and left it.

  8. Likes Dark_Angel liked this post
  9. #1267
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio USA
    Posts
    1,286
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    Long awaited trip to Leamington Spa today.

    Absolutely terrible weather.

    Must be a complete fruitcake to travel in this weather.

    Anyway, I made a few purchases.



    This could be dangerous, you may find that you like these as much as the Italian Handel operas....and there are many more to buy!

  10. #1268
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio USA
    Posts
    1,286
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    The very good selection they had in store was box collections...

    All the ones that I have been tempted to buy recently. INCLUDING

    Maria Callas: Complete Studio Recordings: Deluxe Edition [Box Set, Limited Edition]

    Name:  Maria Callas Complete Studio Recordings Deluxe Edition.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  47.0 KB

    GBP 280 (the only one I have seen so far in the UK is GBP 400+)

    But it was on the FLOOR and out of its box; so I thought no thank you.

    I was stuck staring at the Gardiner complete BACH cantata set for about 300 seconds... (GBP 180)

    Then remembered retirement means TIME rich, CASH poor and left it.
    You have proven your devotion to the Callas cult, you now have no money but you do at least have many operas to enjoy!

  11. #1269
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Berkhamsted, UK
    Posts
    4,256
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Angel View Post
    This could be dangerous, you may find that you like these as much as the Italian Handel operas....and there are many more to buy!
    Yes, maybe...

    Though much more suitable for me (Clayton) to say;

    "I live life on the edge, I love to listen to Vivaldi..."

    Then say,

    "I live life on the edge, I'm trekking across the Himalayas with only a can of baked beans..."

  12. #1270
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Berkhamsted, UK
    Posts
    4,256
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    ...
    Maria Callas: Complete Studio Recordings: Deluxe Edition [Box Set, Limited Edition]

    GBP 280 (the only one I have seen so far in the UK is GBP 400+)

    But it was on the FLOOR and out of its box; so I thought no thank you.
    ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Angel View Post
    You have proven your devotion to the Callas cult, you now have no money but you do at least have many operas to enjoy!
    Did you misread my post or have I proven my devotion otherwise?!

  13. #1271
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio USA
    Posts
    1,286
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    Did you misread my post or have I proven my devotion otherwise?!
    I missed that minor detail, you came home empty handed.......
    You could "negotiate" a discount for boxset being opened

    It is much cheaper on Amazon USA website $219.99 look for this photo


  14. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
  15. #1272
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,475
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Angel View Post
    I missed that minor detail, you came home empty handed.......
    You could "negotiate" a discount for boxset being opened
    Oh dear, Clayton, you are in DA's bad books and I warn you, he has a fully functional Lord of the Rings sword.
    Natalie

  16. #1273
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio USA
    Posts
    1,286
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Oh dear, Clayton, you are in DA's bad books and I warn you, he has a fully functional Lord of the Rings sword.


  17. Likes Clayton liked this post
  18. #1274
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,475
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Angel View Post
    Aaargh. Two swords!!!!!



    Get back to Presto asap and scoop up that Callas box set!
    Natalie

  19. Likes Clayton liked this post
  20. #1275
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Berkhamsted, UK
    Posts
    4,256
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Oh dear, Clayton, you are in DA's bad books and I warn you, he has a fully functional Lord of the Rings sword.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Aaargh. Two swords!!!!!
    Oh that will do. That fits right into the image I have of Dark_Angel.

    Name:  Dark_Angel.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  42.7 KB

    - - - Updated - - -

    By the way,

    Is there anyone on this forum that Almaviva can give a clean bill of health to?

  21. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. What vocal music have you purchased recently?
    By Clayton in forum Other Classical Vocal Music
    Replies: 310
    Last Post: October 30th, 2017, 08:15 AM
  2. I've been fond of drawing beavers recently
    By Aramis in forum Off-topic discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: April 17th, 2012, 05:57 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


free html visitor counters
hit counter




Official Media Partners of Opera Carolina

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Opera Carolina

Official Media Partners of NC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of North Carolina Opera

Official Media Partners of Greensboro Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Greensboro Opera

Official Media Partners of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute and Piedmont Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute
of the University of North Carolina School of the Arts and Piedmont Opera

Official Media Partners of Asheville Lyric Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Asheville Lyric Opera

Official Media Partners of UNC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of UNC Opera
Dept. of Music, UNC-Chapel Hill College of Arts and Sciences

www.operalively.com

VISIT WWW.OPERALIVELY.COM FOR ALL YOUR OPERA NEEDS