Thread: What opera have you purchased recently?

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Involved Member Nervous Gentleman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Carl Zeller's "Der Obersteiger" (1894) has finally appeared in a complete recording. This was the followup to his very popular "Der Vogelhändler" (1891) which has long reigned as one of the favorite Viennese operettas. This new CD is of the highest standard and compares favorably with the classic series of Electrola recordings from EMI (http://www.emiclassics.de/electrola_collection/releases). Unlike the Electrola reissues, however, this first ever complete recording of Zeller's charming "Der Obersteiger" contains a translation of the libretto (albeit for the songs only and with synopses in place of the spoken dialogue).

Name:  61Bt7tm-DYL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  27.0 KB

For those unfamiliar with "Der Vogelhändler," let me say that you are missing one of the genuine delights of the past 200 years of musical history (if that does not sound too hyperbolic). Not all of us wish to wallow in endless repetitions of Wagner and other of the more dreary exemplars of opera.

Here are two clips from the wonderful (and scarce) 1967 West German telefilm featuring Renate Holm and Lucia Popp (both of whom shine):

Renate Holm:

Lucia Popp:

2. Thanks Marschallin Blair, Soave_Fanciulla thanked for this post
    Likes Marschallin Blair, MAuer, Clayton liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Handel: Orlando
    Owen Willetts (Orlando), Karina Gauvin (Angelica), Allyson McHardy (Medoro), Amanda Forsythe (Dorinda), Nathan Berg (Zoroastro)
    Alexander Weimann: Pacific Baroque Orchestra

Caccini: Euridice
    Silvia Frigato, Furio Zanasi, Giampaolo Fagotto, Luca Dordolo, Sara Mingardo, Monica Piccinini, Antonio Abete, Matteo Bellotto & Mauro Borgioni
    Rinaldo Alessandrini: Concerto Italiano

de Nebra: Amor aumenta el valor

Olalla Alemán, María Eugenia Boix, Marta Infante, Agnieszka Grzywacz, Soledad Cardoso, Ana María Otxoa & José Pizarro
    Luis Antonio Gonzales: Los Musicos de Su Altessa

Duron La Guerra de los Gigantes
    Eva Juárez, Camilla de Falleiro, Anna Freivogel & Maria Weiss
    Rogerio Gonçalves: A Corte Musical

David: Lalla Roukh
    Marianne Fiset, Emiliano Gonzalez Toro, Nathalie Paulin, Bernard Deletré, David Newman, (Andrew Adelsberger
    Ryan Brown: Opera Lafayette

And two showcases for Karina Gauvin

Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; April 20th, 2014 at 06:44 AM.
    Natalie

4. Likes Clayton liked this post
    Senior Member Involved Member Revenant's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    That was one of the first operas I ever saw, when NYCO used to tour to the Kennedy Center each spring. By the time I saw this production (Tito Capobianco, if I remember correctly), in the late 70s, Samuel Ramey was singing Mefistofele. I used to rave about him, and a fellow in my office, who was much older, would say "You should have seen Norman Treigle". I also saw the NYCO productions of Barber of Seville with Beverly Sills, Turandot, and the only time I've seen La Fanciulla del West.
    Indeed, you should have seen Treigle. The man was possessed (almost literally). He was certainly beset by demons. He died from "an overdose of sleeping pills" in a hotel room just two years after this production. I also have the non-HIP (of course) Giulio Cesare, again conducted by Rudel. Capobianco crafted that GC production to be the breakout performance by Treigle. Instead, it became the breakout for Sills, which rankled Treigle beyond measure. His "entrance" in the stage production of Gounod's Faust was shocking and unforgettable. One of Faust's cadavers on the dissection table suddenly springs up and bellows out his arrival as Mephistopheles. Treigle apparently modeled himself after Fyodor Chaliapin, that other great singing actor of the first part of the 20th Century.
    Never try to teach a pig to sing. You will waste your time and you will annoy the pig.

6. Likes Hoffmann, MAuer, Clayton liked this post
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Revenant;39197]Indeed, you should have seen Treigle. The man was possessed (almost literally). He was certainly beset by demons. He died from "an overdose of sleeping pills" in a hotel room just two years after this production. I also have the non-HIP (of course) Giulio Cesare, again conducted by Rudel. Capobianco crafted that GC production to be the breakout performance by Treigle. Instead, it became the breakout for Sills, which rankled Treigle beyond measure. His "entrance" in the stage production of Gounod's Faust was shocking and unforgettable. One of Faust's cadavers on the dissection table suddenly springs up and bellows out his arrival as Mephistopheles. Treigle apparently modeled himself after Fyodor Chaliapin, that other great singing actor of the first part of the 20th Century.[/QUOTE

The good old days of the NYCO - Rudel was great. I can't recall seeing - or hearing about - a Met production that took those kind of chances or theatricality. The NYCO's closing is a serious loss.

8. Likes MAuer, Revenant liked this post
    Senior Member Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    I'm not sure what the exact qualification is for "opera buff" but you're well on your way with that shopping list!

I'll stake my jam sandwich on the fact that you'll be very pleased with your 8.99 Bellini purchase.

Gluck's Paride ed Elena is a really beautiful opera.

Be sure to report back with your thoughts on all of these!
    It turns out I love Gluck's opera music, I think he is one of my favorite opera composers. I have four of his operas now, and I intend to add two more, Armide and Iphigenie en Tauride.

Bellini I've only gotten to Adelson et Selvini and Norma. The Adelson has so much static it's barely listenable, but there are nice moments. Norma was very good.

I'll update more as I go!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Great list, Sonata.
    Make sure you get our guide to Les Troyens to enjoy it more. [here]
    I'll check it out for sure

10. Likes Hoffmann, Clayton liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Latest Vivaldi opera release for Naïve label, 3CD makes it a pricey addition but I must have all of these!

12. Likes Revenant, Clayton liked this post
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Filling in a few more holes in the collection:

Name:  Ilcorsaro.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  12.4 KB

Name:  Iduefoscari.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  13.1 KB

Name:  Lecoqdor.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  9.0 KB

Post Thanks / Like
    This went for a lower pricetag than a solo set of the same Athalia. I'm learning. Not enough but I'm learning.

Name:  Handel_4_Oratorios.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  37.2 KB
    Never try to teach a pig to sing. You will waste your time and you will annoy the pig.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
    This went for a lower pricetag than a solo set of the same Athalia. I'm learning. Not enough but I'm learning.

Name:  Handel_4_Oratorios.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  37.2 KB
    Sutherland nearly ruins that Athalia for me - though I love Emma Kirkby and Aled Jones in it.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Sutherland nearly ruins that Athalia for me - though I love Emma Kirkby and Aled Jones in it.
    [Sigh] That's what I was afraid of, seeing the late date of the recording. I bought it only because it was bundled with three other oratorios.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
    [Sigh] That's what I was afraid of, seeing the late date of the recording. I bought it only because it was bundled with three other oratorios.
    Just ff through the Sutherland bits. It's a wonderful oratorio so you are bound to get pleasure from it.
    Natalie

18. Thanks Revenant thanked for this post
    Likes Revenant liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My recent orders:

20. Likes Clayton, Soave_Fanciulla, MAuer liked this post
    Senior Member Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bellini I've only gotten to Adelson et Selvini and Norma. The Adelson has so much static it's barely listenable, but there are nice moments. Norma was very good.
    very strange, you've listened only the best and the worst Bellini Opera. There is a world of music between them.
    "I Puritani" is as good as "Norma" but you must listen it sung by great singers (Decca Bon Suth Pav)
    One very peculiar aspect of Bellini is that Bellini style is unmistakable, but his four main operas (Norma, La Sonnambula, I Puritani, Beatrice di Tenda) are very different from each other. There are two early works (il Pirata e I Capuleti e I Montecchi) which I find very pleasant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post
    My recent orders:

If that Death in Venice doesn't knock your socks off I don't know what will.

I'm toying with getting this - report back!
    Natalie

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    If that Death in Venice doesn't knock your socks off I don't know what will.
    It's the only one I've received and viewed so far, and yes, it's fantastic. I bought it largely on your recommendation.

I'm toying with getting this - report back!
    I've got the Simon Rattle filmed version, which I enjoy, but couldn't pass up this, the first live performance available on DVD.

24. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post