Thread: Hello from New York

Bookmark and Share
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello from New York

Greetings all. I've used this site for reference in the past and I've decided to join. Wagner is my passion but I'm a fan of opera from Monteverdi to Glass, and I'm learning more as each day passes. My passion for Wagner's music goes beyond anything I've ever experienced before, but not at the expense of Mozart, Puccini, or other greats. My choice of "Sachs" as a name here is out of respect for a great character. A man with an idealist's heart and a realist's mind. Through Sachs, Wagner signaled his understanding of the changing of times and the evolution of music. He predicted the modern musical scene without having any way of truly understanding it. I also believe Wagner tailored many of his famous characters as either how he saw himself, who he wanted to be, or as a justification for (or at least an understanding of) his own flaws. I am not a blind Wagner loyalist, but I'm also not blind to the intricate and complicated genius that was Richard Wagner. Either way, I'm excited to be here and engage in discussion about music that is such a huge part of my life.

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Sachs,

That was a nice introduction (for both yourseld and Wagner!) and I'm looking forward to hearing more of your interests. Welcome to this side of the forum (as opposed to just reading).

- - - Updated - - -

oh and like you, my interests are all over the place; "hearditis" - I like whatever I heard last!

3. Likes Sachs, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Sachs and welcome to the forum!

I struggle with Wagner and I look forward to learning from you in the hope of one day 'getting' him.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

5. Likes Hoffmann, Sachs liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Sachs. My favorite Wagner operas are Meistersinger, Hollander, and Lohengrin. But I am also real big on Beethoven's Fidelio, Donizetti's Three Queens and Sonnambula, and Rossini's Barber of Seville among others.

Like your avatar. I think I have the DVD with that Sachs, but haven't watched it yet. It is my second Meistersinger DVD.

My avatar is Figaro from the Beverly Sills VHS of Barber of Seville with Sarah Caldwell conducting.
    Necessities of life: food, water, air, shelter, and opera.

7. Likes Sachs liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Sachs, look forward to reading your posts.
    Natalie

9. Likes Sachs liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to Opera Lively, Sachs.

I love Wagner as my #1 opera composer, and paradoxically I write very little about him or his operas. It is in part because I am in such awe of his music that I feel somehow speechless. It is hard to comment on something so visceral. Another reason is that the Ring with its 2,000 leitmotivs is so complex that I feel unqualified to talk about it. Finally, I don't like to listen to fragments of Wagner's music (with exceptions) so when someone is mentioning some specific bit or posting a clip of it, I tend to pass. I think Wagner's operas make sense when you listen to a full one from start to end, in one sitting. All of this is very idiosyncratic so I tend to just shut up about it, to avoid bothering others with these strange stances of mine.

That is not to say that I don't enjoy reading about him, so I look forward to your posts.

So, we share this interest... it's just that I don't talk much about it.

We also share the idea of liking everything from Monteverdi to Glass - and the latter is indeed one of my favorite composers (I have a thing for music with repetitive structures). I also enjoy many other contemporary composers. I'm an omnivore and love all periods from early Baroque to the latest new operas and everything in-between.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

11. Likes Sachs, Hoffmann, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Sachs!

Welcome to OL! I was missing in action all last week as I had a houseguest visiting from Hong Kong here in DC for WNO's Ring. I hope that's a good excuse, anyway.

I join you in prizing Wagner above other composers, but not at their expense. Since you've been following here for a while, you might recognize that I'm a big fan of Rossini's Opera Seria, particularly Semiramide and La Donna del Lago. I don't yet count contemporary opera as a passion, but continue to try and develop my ear.

I'm looking forward to your posts!

13. Likes Sachs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the welcomes. I see there are some people here with similar preferences. I also prefer to not split up Wagner but Tannhauser and Lohengrin do have some juicy cuts. I'd love to hear about the WNO Ring, as I just read about it this week. I check Bachtrack often to look for dates I can work with. I also struggle with some contemporary opera (and music in general) but I also keep an open mind when exploring. I'm still not familiar with large portions of the standard repertoire though so there's always somewhere to turn. Verdi is still largely unknown to me but I always know where to go for suggestions.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sachs View Post
    Tannhauser and Lohengrin do have some juicy cuts.
    That's precisely why I said "with exceptions." We agree on another point!
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)