Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: William Christie is angry!

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

William Christie is angry!

At the national auditorium in Madrid, Wednesday’s performance of Handel’s Messiah was interrupted by a mobile phone going off in a side-row close to the stage during the aria He was despised.

‘Out!’ yelled Christie at the phone owner. ‘You have just ruined one of the most beautiful passages of one of the most beautiful works ever written.

Full report here (in Spanish).
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

2. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not as bad as throwing human ashes in the orchestra pit, but certainly very rude. Unfortunately, people can easily forget to turn their phones to silent, or better yet, off!
    Necessities of life: food, water, air, shelter, and opera.

4. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I get out so little. These days, do they typically have reminders about cell phones at opera performances, as they do before movies? That would give the culprit less of an excuse.

I have to admit, the mental picture of William Christie, of all people, losing it--is almost worth it.

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post
    I get out so little. These days, do they typically have reminders about cell phones at opera performances, as they do before movies? That would give the culprit less of an excuse.

I have to admit, the mental picture of William Christie, of all people, losing it--is almost worth it.
    In the opera houses and concert halls I've been to, there has been an announcement. In a concert hall in The Netherlands, the announcement was preceded by a very very loud bell which certainly caught people's attention. There's absolutely no excuse, you just turn the damn thing off!!
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

7. Likes Florestan liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post

Of all people? I have the impression that William Christie is a quite feisty fellow. Just an impression, since he's one I've never interviewed.

Yes, in many live opera performances they ask the audience to remind to turn off their cell phones. Most do. I've seen the occasional patron keeping his/hers on and bothering others with some glare and even text-messing during the performances, and I remember two recent performances in which there was cell phone ringing. Some people never learn
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Of all people? I have the impression that William Christie is a quite feisty fellow. Just an impression, since he's one I've never interviewed.
    Could be. I've always envisioned him as soft spoken and even tempered, but I'm not even sure what that's based on--perhaps the odd DVD interview here and there.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Same phone went off TWICE in the last concert I attended - but there had been no reminder.
    Natalie

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Same phone went off TWICE in the last concert I attended - but there had been no reminder.
    The punishment should be that their phone is confiscated and stomped on--especially with some of the atrocious tunes people use for ringers!
    Necessities of life: food, water, air, shelter, and opera.

12. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    The punishment should be that their phone is confiscated and stomped on--especially with some of the atrocious tunes people use for ringers!
    I'd volunteer for that job!
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

14. Likes Soave_Fanciulla, Florestan liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Festat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lucky it was Christie, though. Imagine being told off by Gardiner, or even worse, the screaming skull himself Sir Georg Solti. The man probably would die on the spot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Festat View Post
    Lucky it was Christie, though. Imagine being told off by Gardiner, or even worse, the screaming skull himself Sir Georg Solti. The man probably would die on the spot.
    Actually Harnoncourt is the one who genuinely scares me. He'd just need to look at me lugubriously and I'd sink into the ground.
    Natalie

17. Likes Festat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You've never experienced fear until you've been glared at by Pappano. I was at ROH for Macbeth and was sitting on the front row behind the conductor's podium. Following the interval it's normal practice for the conductor to get the orchestra to rise to receive applause. I applauded and said "Bravo maestro!" At this he swung around and gave me the blackest look imaginable. I shrank back in my seat and have never dared say anything in his presence since!

Lucy Maud Montgomery

19. Likes Amfortas, Festat, Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Festat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Actually Harnoncourt is the one who genuinely scares me. He'd just need to look at me lugubriously and I'd sink into the ground.
    Harnoncourt is another kind of scary. With Jiggy or Solti or Reiner you're afraid of being impaled with a baton. Toscanini would probably curse you. But with Harnoncourt I guess you have no chance, you're going to have to claw your way back from hell.

On the other end of the spectrum, who are the conductors you guys fell are the nicest? I've always thought Bruno Walter would be a darling. James Levine too.

For Pappano I have to admit having a completely unfounded dislike. I like his work but him... I just look at him and UH OH SOMETHING'S NOT RIGHT HERE. After Annie's story I guess there's a reason why after all...

21. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    On the other end of the spectrum, who are the conductors you guys fell are the nicest? I've always thought Bruno Walter would be a darling. James Levine too.
    Marco Armiliato has the sweetest smile. And I do love William Christie although I have heard rumours that he is not easy to work with. But then he did the chicken dance at the end of Les Indes Galantes and won my heart for ever.

For Pappano I have to admit having a completely unfounded dislike. I like his work but him... I just look at him and UH OH SOMETHING'S NOT RIGHT HERE. After Annie's story I guess there's a reason why after all...
    The chewing, OMG, the chewing!!!
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Marco Armiliato has the sweetest smile. And I do love William Christie although I have heard rumours that he is not easy to work with. But then he did the chicken dance at the end of Les Indes Galantes and won my heart for ever.
    Every time I see Furtwängler, I think, "Now there's a guy I'd want to party with."

24. Likes Festat, Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast