Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: 2017/2018 Season

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also, I thought Kwiecien a little small voiced as Zurga at the Met, but Polenzani does a really fabulous Nadir! I do like Marina Rebekah, maybe I'll see this.
    I've got a ticket to see Pearl Fishers at the Berliner Staatsoper this summer - directed by Wim Wenders, so that should cover me for this year. I saw Kwiecien in Onegin at the Met 2 or 3 years ago and also found him to be a little light-voiced.

I Puritani looks the most appealing to me in terms of the casting, especially Larry Brownlee's Arturo. And it's interesting that Fellow Travelers, which had its world premiere here last summer, is making its way up to Chicago.
    I'm another big fan of the Windy City. Love the original Marshall Field's store down in the Loop -- the hotels where I stayed (Allegro for the Lyric Opera, Palmer House for the Symphony) are both just a few blocks away.
    I'll be seeing Puritani in NYC in a couple of weeks (although, with my recent track record, who knows?), with Diana Damrau, Javier Camarena, Luca Pisaroni and Alexey Markov - pretty good cast, so Lyric seems not enough to travel for, though I may end up with my appetite fueled, so who knows?

Fellow Travelers a bit of an oddity - staging is not at the Lyric, maybe in anticipation of a smaller audience or maybe because it will work better in more intimate surroundings. It sounds interesting, though.

Oh yeah, btw, what's up with Chicago including Jesus Christ Superstar, anyway? Holy Moses! What is the world coming to???

I'm in a bit of a dilemma because I have to buy tickets for Glimmerglass in August. My reason for going is to see Siege of Calais (Donizetti), but my sister and brother in law will be joining me for the weekend, and want to see Oklahoma. I guess I need to be a good sport and bite the bullet and buy 3 tickets, but it will be painful. Maybe I should try using a health excuse?

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    I'm in a bit of a dilemma because I have to buy tickets for Glimmerglass in August. My reason for going is to see Siege of Calais (Donizetti), but my sister and brother in law will be joining me for the weekend, and want to see Oklahoma. I guess I need to be a good sport and bite the bullet and buy 3 tickets, but it will be painful. Maybe I should try using a health excuse?
    Are you able to see both? Or is it Oklahoma which you don't really want to see? I saw Siege of Calais last year and loved it. This is the one I saw (only just realised it's on YouTube).

3. Likes Hoffmann, Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, we chose the weekend in August when Siege will be playing on Friday night and Oklahoma on Saturday night. The ideal would be to convince my sister to attend her first opera - my brother in law will be game, for sure, though if my sister won't go, he's likely to stay behind with her.

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, we chose the weekend in August when Siege will be playing on Friday night and Oklahoma on Saturday night. The ideal would be to convince my sister to attend her first opera - my brother in law will be game, for sure, though if my sister won't go, he's likely to stay behind with her.
    Although it's not very well known, it's tuneful and has an easy plot so a good one for a newbie.
    Last edited by Ann Lander (sospiro); February 9th, 2017 at 01:34 PM. Reason: typo

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Bayerische Staatsoper’s 2017 Opera Festival:
    https://www.staatsoper.de/en/opera-f...-festival.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    The Bayerische Staatsoper’s 2017 Opera Festival:
    https://www.staatsoper.de/en/opera-f...-festival.html

I only seem to find the 2016 Opera Festival. I went to the Staatsoper's website and still couldn't find 2017.

Senior Member Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I only seem to find the 2016 Opera Festival. I went to the Staatsoper's website and still couldn't find 2017.
    Yeah, their website's not easy to navigate!

Schedule: https://www.staatsoper.de/en/opera-f...-festival.html

Some general details: https://www.staatsoper.de/en/schedul...tml?no_cache=1

I've put in a ticket request, and if they fill the entirety of my order, I'll be in town from the 9th to the 29th.

9. Thanks Clayton, Hoffmann thanked for this post
    Likes MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dichteurehalle View Post
    Yeah, their website's not easy to navigate!

Schedule: https://www.staatsoper.de/en/opera-f...-festival.html

Some general details: https://www.staatsoper.de/en/schedul...tml?no_cache=1

I've put in a ticket request, and if they fill the entirety of my order, I'll be in town from the 9th to the 29th.
    Three weeks in Munich! I love Munich and the National Theater! What do you plan on seeing?

11. Likes Dichteurehalle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Three weeks in Munich! I love Munich and the National Theater! What do you plan on seeing?
    Yes! I placed an order for Tannhauser (Anja Harteros sings Elisabeth!), Anja Harteros' lieder concert, Lucia di Lammermoor, Jenufa, Nabucco, whatever Keenlyside's singing which requires a saxophone, La Forza x2 (Harteros and Kaufmann!), La Favorite (I watched this livestream back in the fall, so excited), Contes d'Hoffman, and Andrea Chenier (Harteros and Kaufmann again!).

Searching my email, it looks like I neglected to order Semiramide tickets, for some reason. Before I send in a second order for that, should I also order any/all of Christian Gerhaher's lieder concert, Diana Damrau's lieder concert, The Stigmatized, Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk, and Oberon?

And I'm a little concerned about what I will do with myself when not at the opera! I've left myself a couple blocks of free days in which to go to Salzburg and Nuremberg, but I'll still be in Munich for a good 15 days, and don't know if there's enough stuff to see/do to fill that time. What are your favorite Munich sights/things to do?

Also, I've read online that the National Theater only offers sub/supertitles in German, so I'm going to need to improve the music-to-text mappings for these operas before then.

13. Likes Hoffmann, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes! I placed an order for Tannhauser (Anja Harteros sings Elisabeth!), Anja Harteros' lieder concert, Lucia di Lammermoor, Jenufa, Nabucco, whatever Keenlyside's singing which requires a saxophone, La Forza x2 (Harteros and Kaufmann!), La Favorite (I watched this livestream back in the fall, so excited), Contes d'Hoffman, and Andrea Chenier (Harteros and Kaufmann again!).

Searching my email, it looks like I neglected to order Semiramide tickets, for some reason. Before I send in a second order for that, should I also order any/all of Christian Gerhaher's lieder concert, Diana Damrau's lieder concert, The Stigmatized, Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk, and Oberon?

And I'm a little concerned about what I will do with myself when not at the opera! I've left myself a couple blocks of free days in which to go to Salzburg and Nuremberg, but I'll still be in Munich for a good 15 days, and don't know if there's enough stuff to see/do to fill that time. What are your favorite Munich sights/things to do?

Also, I've read online that the National Theater only offers sub/supertitles in German, so I'm going to need to improve the music-to-text mappings for these operas before then.
    OMG Christian Gerhaher YES!!!!!!!
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    OMG Christian Gerhaher YES!!!!!!!
    Ok, that's settled then, definitely ordering the Gerhaher! I should mention he's also singing Wolfram in the Tannhauser

16. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I am so envious!!!

Post Thanks / Like

What a wonderful schedule! I'll be in Berlin for the month of June, and the operas scheduled aren't quite as interesting (only Wagner is Dutchman), but then you will be in Munich for the Staatsoper's summer festival.

I would love to see all that you've listed, but especially Semiramide, but will be heading back to DC around the end of the first week in July after a month in Berlin, so won't be around that late in the month. The Met, I believe, will be doing Semiramide next year, so it will have to wait until then. I thought, briefly, about going for it this month, but can't justify the airfare (must be skiing season..).

I must admit that I've only ever spent one week at a time in Munich, and typically have been there for a only few days at a time for a few operas, so don't know about keeping myself amused for 3 weeks. Usually, though, I'm content to walk - and Munich is a great walking city, as is Berlin.

My must see in Munich is the Lenbach House Museum, which has an amazing collection of Kandinskys and Blaue Reiter School artists, along with other modernists. There are other superb museums in Munich, but the Lenbach House is outstanding.

I love eating at Spatenhaus - it's across Max-Joseph Platz from the National Theater. I recommend the veal stew with Pfifferlinge (mushrooms). For lunch.

I haven't been, but have heard that the Residenz, next to the National Theater is worth a visit. If you walk up the block from the Residenz to Odeonsplatz, that's where the march following the Beer Hall Putsch ended in a gun battle.

Dallmayr also is a great spot for lunch or dinner or to shop for carry out delicacies. It's on Dienerstrasse, and around the corner, sort of, from the National Theater.

The Viktualenmarkt - outdoor farmers' market is one of the most famous sights in the city and in summer is at its peak and most interesting.

I've not been to Salzburg, or to Neuschwanstein Castle (Schloss), which has been on my to do list for some time. Nymphenburg Palace is beautiful, but so is every other palace in Europe.

Yes, the supertitles at the opera are only in German. I have a modest ability in German, so can get by, but they do sell synopses and cast lists in English for a Euro or 50 cents - you will need to ask.

That's off the top of my head. If I think of anything else, I'll add it later.

19. Thanks Dichteurehalle thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    What a wonderful schedule! I'll be in Berlin for the month of June, and the operas scheduled aren't quite as interesting (only Wagner is Dutchman), but then you will be in Munich for the Staatsoper's summer festival.

I would love to see all that you've listed, but especially Semiramide, but will be heading back to DC around the end of the first week in July after a month in Berlin, so won't be around that late in the month. The Met, I believe, will be doing Semiramide next year, so it will have to wait until then. I thought, briefly, about going for it this month, but can't justify the airfare (must be skiing season..).

That's off the top of my head. If I think of anything else, I'll add it later.
    Thank you so much, that is all super helpful! Worst comes to worst, I'll just bike around while listening to Kaufmann's crossover CD of big band music, or something

It looks like there's going to be at least 3 role debuts when you're in Berlin! Jamie Barton is doing Eboli (!!), Liudmyla Monastyrska is doing Elisabetta in the same production, and Olga Peretyatko is doing Leila.

21. Likes MAuer, Soave_Fanciulla, Hoffmann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

23. Thanks MAuer, Hoffmann thanked for this post
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast