Thread: Hello from New York, redux!

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello from New York, redux!

Hi everybody,

I initially stumbled across this site via the interviews, and stayed after a quick browse through the "What are you listening/watching/buying" threads. You all have such wide-ranging tastes!

I myself have been binging on Don Carlo all day, every day since August (recordings from favorite to least: Solti, Giulini, 1996 Paris DVD, Abbado, Hold-Garrido, Santini, Karajan). Before Don Carlo, I was listening to La Wally, Les Martyrs, Don Giovanni, Manon, and L'etoile, but overall, my top 3 are Die Meistersinger, Tannhauser, and Lohengrin.

Parsifal also holds a special place in my heart, since it's the first opera I listened to and the first opera I attended. Growing up, we listened to a lot of classical and some lieder, but it wasn't until 2013 when (for some reason) I decided to listen to the prelude to Parsifal. It turned out to be a very enjoyable 14 minutes, so I did it again, etc. And later that year, the ROH put it on (Simon O'Neill, Angela Denoke, Gerald Finley, Rene Pape), so I went and saw it, and everything else sort of followed from there!

I primarily go to the Met, and have seen everything so far this season except Magic Flute, and the second act of L'Italiana (was in a bit of a mood that day and didn't like the Isabella or the end to Act 1, so grumpily went home and watched Marilyn Horne on YouTube lol). I've also got a small library of 40-something DVDs, though it's really only a matter of time before I order the Kusej Rusalka and the Glyndebourne Giulio Cesare. Looking forward to discussing opera with you all, and to being enabled for many future acquisitions!

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the Forum and look forward to many chats. Don Carlos is my favourite Verdi although I can't say I'm as devoted as you! I also love your other choices (possibly Tannhäuser and Parsifal less).
    Natalie

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum.

I'm a big fan of Don Carlo too and was lucky enough to see the Hytner at ROH in 2013 with Kaufmann, Harteros (she only did one performance, cancelled the rest), Kwiecień and Furlanetto.

I look forward to hearing about your other opera trips.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post

I'm a big fan of Don Carlo too and was lucky enough to see the Hytner at ROH in 2013 with Kaufmann, Harteros (she only did one performance, cancelled the rest), Kwiecień and Furlanetto.
    My favourite Don Carlo was Luis Lima at ROH in the 80s. That man broke my heart; Ileana Cotrubas as Elisabetta not far behind. It was preserved on VHS:

Natalie

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    My favourite Don Carlo was Luis Lima at ROH in the 80s. That man broke my heart; Ileana Cotrubas as Elisabetta not far behind. It was preserved on VHS:

You saw that? I wish I'd discovered opera earlier.

6. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

I look forward to hearing about your other opera trips.
    I was actually living in London at the time, so no trip required, though it also means I managed to miss the Met Parsifal of the same year. The Met Futures Wiki says they're putting it on next season, so hopefully that happens and hopefully nobody cancels!

Though I did go to Zurich over Thanksgiving to see Don Carlo with Vargas, Harteros, Pape, Mattei, and Prudenskaya (though in a reverse of your situation, Harteros cancelled my performance but did the rest). Ah well...

8. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to OL, Dichteurehalle! Our tastes seem very similar: Tannhäuser, Lohengrin, Don Carlo, Norma, traveling for opera. Oh, wait. Norma isn't on your list... Yet.

Opera Lively is a knowlegeable and great community - I look forward to visiting with you often!

10. Likes Dichteurehalle liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dichteurehalle View Post
    Hi everybody,

I initially stumbled across this site via the interviews, and stayed after a quick browse through the "What are you listening/watching/buying" threads. You all have such wide-ranging tastes!

I primarily go to the Met, and have seen everything so far this season except Magic Flute, and the second act of L'Italiana (was in a bit of a mood that day and didn't like the Isabella or the end to Act 1, so grumpily went home
    Welcome to Opera Lively; it seems like it will be a pleasure to have you here! We look forward to discussing opera with you. I also didn't like that Isabella in L'Italiana and had to be brave to stay until the end.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

12. Likes Dichteurehalle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Oh, wait. Norma isn't on your list... Yet.
    Hah! I feel like one thing holding me back with Norma is that I haven't watched it yet, and Met On Demand only has audio for it. Is there a DVD you particularly recommend?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Welcome to Opera Lively; it seems like it will be a pleasure to have you here! We look forward to discussing opera with you. I also didn't like that Isabella in L'Italiana and had to be brave to stay until the end.
    I'd be curious to hear what you didn't like about her! I vaguely remember finding her recitatives particularly unmusical and thought she was a little "flabby" with the rhythms. Though what do I know, Marianna Pizzolato seems to sing only Rossini, in quite a number of places. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hah! I feel like one thing holding me back with Norma is that I haven't watched it yet, and Met On Demand only has audio for it. Is there a DVD you particularly recommend?
    That's an interesting question. I'm about the only one here who doesn't watch opera DVDs - I really only listen to CDs, a habit pre-dating the days of omni-present DVDs, I guess.

As far as listening and CDs, Callas really owns the role:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NormaCallas1954_Remaster.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	10250

Sutherland also is famous for the role. I also like this one, because Marilyn Horne sings Adalgisa (and, who doesn't love Marilyn Horne?):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NormaSutherlandHorne.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	10251

So, for DVDs, I looked back at OL's Top Lists Forum and went to the thread on "Favorite CDs and DVDs for our Top 100 Operas", where Norma is #8 (Note: It's my fault that the list stops at #66 - I kind of got overtaken by events, as we sometimes say here in DC - and need to get back on finishing the list...)

Anyway, here are the DVD favorites for Norma:

DVD:
    Arthaus Music: Grand Teatre del Liceu, Barcelona (2007)
    Fiorenza Cedolins/Sonia Ganassi/Vincenzo La Scola/Begona Alberdi, et al., Cond. Giuliano Carella 2 votes

VAI: Theatre Antique d'Orange (1974)
    Montserrat Caballé/Jon Vickers/Josephine Veasey, et al., Cond. Giuseppe Patané 2 votes

Tdk: Teatro Regio of Parma
    Shin Young Hoon/Ildar Abdrazakov/June Anderson/Daniela Barcellona, et al., Cond. Fabio Biondi 1 vote

Here is the OL voting/discussion on Norma from when we were compiling favorites:

http://operalively.com/forums/showth...ll=1#post39455

Let me know how it goes!

16. Likes Dichteurehalle liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to have you with us, Dich. Only fans of Wagner and Don Carlo are welcome here, so I guess we'll let you stay.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Let me know how it goes!
    Wow, thank you so much! Will do

19. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dichteurehalle View Post
    I'd be curious to hear what you didn't like about her! I vaguely remember finding her recitatives particularly unmusical and thought she was a little "flabby" with the rhythms. Though what do I know, Marianna Pizzolato seems to sing only Rossini, in quite a number of places. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Here is what I said in my review:
    Mariana Pizzolato had all the right notes and the pretty bel canto singing. The big problem is that she had no chemistry with anybody, seemed to phone in the performance, and her acting was, well, nonexistent, which was the main downside of this show. She definitely did not convey the witty and funny Isabella. Just good singing doesn't a great performance make.
    Full review here:
    [clicky]
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

21. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post