Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Strauss, Der Rosenkavalier Bayerische Staatsoper, Nationaltheater 11 February 2017

          
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #1
    Senior Member Involved Member jflatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    244
    Post Thanks / Like

    Strauss, Der Rosenkavalier Bayerische Staatsoper, Nationaltheater 11 February 2017

    Cast:
    Marschallin – Anja Harteros
    Octavian – Angela Brower
    Baron Ochs – Günther Groissböck
    Sophie – Golda Schultz
    Faninal – Markus Eiche
    Italian Singer – Andrej Dunaev
    Valzacchi – Ulrich Ress
    Annina – Heike Grötzinger
    Police – Peter Lobert
    Marianne – Christianne Kohl
    Production:
    Direction – Otto Schenk (original), Bettina Göschl (revival)
    Sets and Costumes – Jürgen Rose

    Apologies it has been a long time since I have been on this forum, life and having young children can take up a lot of time, but I was lucky recently to spend my first ever weekend in Munich and see the two consecutive but very contrasting operas Elektra and Der Rosenkavalier on consecutive nights.

    It was the third time I had actually seen Der Rosenkavalier within a month seeing Renee Fleming's farewell as the Marschallin and Rachel Willis-Sørensen playing the same role in the second cast of Robert Carsen's new production. Although this production had a lot of similarities to the one he did in Salzburg but overall the piece was let down surprisingly by Andris Nelson's timid conducting which lacked the gloss this piece needs.

    When flying out to Munich I was under the impression that the Marschallin was due to be played by Anne Schwanewilms who impressed me when I heard her in the role previously. However, after flying out to Munich a friend enviously contacted me and told me that Ms Schwanewilms cancelled and that Anja Harteros agreed to step in.

    Furthermore Hanna-Elisabeth Müller who was due to play Sophie was replaced by another company member, the South African soprano Golda Schultz. Whilst Angela Brower continued in the role of Octavian.

    This was I understand to be the last ever performance of the celebrated Otto Schenk production that premiered in 1972 which many of you will have on DVD in 1979 revival under Kleiber. I understand that Barry Kosky will be doing a new production which I am sure will be very different.

    The production itself was very straight forward and the second act set still impresses the Bavarian audience who applaud the opening of it Met style. What I would say it was given the best musical goodbye that this very famous production could get.

    Firstly the orchestra under the baton of it's music director Kirill Petrenko showed off the wonderfully skillful Bayerische Staatsorchester full potential and we got a performance that was wonderfully musical which propelled along at the right time but also echoed the opera's tender moments.

    Moving on to the singers, I have to say that Harteros is the now by far the finest Marschallin I've heard live. This is the eight Rosenkavalier I have seen live but she acts the part so well and more importantly her voice with her wonderful legato and phrasing made it very moving. It was almost like you did not want the final scene in the first act with Octavian to end.

    Angela Brower was an impressive Octavian who was quite high for a mezzo but seemed perfect for the role. I am sure that she is a young singer that will do very well.

    The biggest surprise was Golda Schultz, who I had no knowledge of whatsoever as Sophie. I now understand that she played Countess Almaviva in Glyndebourne's Figaro and impressed many. As soon as she started singing, I thought that this is someone who has the real potential to go on and have a massive career if she looks after her voice. She was a truly wonderful Sophie and again possibly the finest I have heard live.

    Günther Groissböck was a younger and slightly lighter voice Ochs than usual. He was very good musically but I am sure if he was in a production that used him more effectively than he could do even better in the role.

    In the supporting roles Markus Eiche (who was an excellent Donner and Gunther at Bayreuth last year) was a strong Faninal Faninal. Andrej Dunaev was a decent Italian Singer as well.

    To summarise though, the three female principals were wonderful and I can say that the trio was the finest I've heard live and the performance was moving like good performances of Der Rosenkavalier should be. They were also supported by wonderful playing and conducting by the orchestra and Petrenko. I have to admit I had a very lucky cast change. Tomorrow I will review Elektra.

  2. #2
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,793
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great review, jflatter! I'm glad you were able to enjoy such a strong performance.

  3. Likes jflatter, MAuer, Hoffmann liked this post
  4. #3
    Junior Member Newcomer
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like

    Rosenkavalier review

    Quote Originally Posted by jflatter View Post
    Cast:
    Marschallin – Anja Harteros
    Octavian – Angela Brower
    Baron Ochs – Günther Groissböck
    Sophie – Golda Schultz
    Faninal – Markus Eiche
    Italian Singer – Andrej Dunaev
    Valzacchi – Ulrich Ress
    Annina – Heike Grötzinger
    Police – Peter Lobert
    Marianne – Christianne Kohl
    Production:
    Direction – Otto Schenk (original), Bettina Göschl (revival)
    Sets and Costumes – Jürgen Rose

    Apologies it has been a long time since I have been on this forum, life and having young children can take up a lot of time, but I was lucky recently to spend my first ever weekend in Munich and see the two consecutive but very contrasting operas Elektra and Der Rosenkavalier on consecutive nights.

    It was the third time I had actually seen Der Rosenkavalier within a month seeing Renee Fleming's farewell as the Marschallin and Rachel Willis-Sørensen playing the same role in the second cast of Robert Carsen's new production. Although this production had a lot of similarities to the one he did in Salzburg but overall the piece was let down surprisingly by Andris Nelson's timid conducting which lacked the gloss this piece needs.

    When flying out to Munich I was under the impression that the Marschallin was due to be played by Anne Schwanewilms who impressed me when I heard her in the role previously. However, after flying out to Munich a friend enviously contacted me and told me that Ms Schwanewilms cancelled and that Anja Harteros agreed to step in.

    Furthermore Hanna-Elisabeth Müller who was due to play Sophie was replaced by another company member, the South African soprano Golda Schultz. Whilst Angela Brower continued in the role of Octavian.

    This was I understand to be the last ever performance of the celebrated Otto Schenk production that premiered in 1972 which many of you will have on DVD in 1979 revival under Kleiber. I understand that Barry Kosky will be doing a new production which I am sure will be very different.

    The production itself was very straight forward and the second act set still impresses the Bavarian audience who applaud the opening of it Met style. What I would say it was given the best musical goodbye that this very famous production could get.

    Firstly the orchestra under the baton of it's music director Kirill Petrenko showed off the wonderfully skillful Bayerische Staatsorchester full potential and we got a performance that was wonderfully musical which propelled along at the right time but also echoed the opera's tender moments.

    Moving on to the singers, I have to say that Harteros is the now by far the finest Marschallin I've heard live. This is the eight Rosenkavalier I have seen live but she acts the part so well and more importantly her voice with her wonderful legato and phrasing made it very moving. It was almost like you did not want the final scene in the first act with Octavian to end.

    Angela Brower was an impressive Octavian who was quite high for a mezzo but seemed perfect for the role. I am sure that she is a young singer that will do very well.

    The biggest surprise was Golda Schultz, who I had no knowledge of whatsoever as Sophie. I now understand that she played Countess Almaviva in Glyndebourne's Figaro and impressed many. As soon as she started singing, I thought that this is someone who has the real potential to go on and have a massive career if she looks after her voice. She was a truly wonderful Sophie and again possibly the finest I have heard live.

    Günther Groissböck was a younger and slightly lighter voice Ochs than usual. He was very good musically but I am sure if he was in a production that used him more effectively than he could do even better in the role.

    In the supporting roles Markus Eiche (who was an excellent Donner and Gunther at Bayreuth last year) was a strong Faninal Faninal. Andrej Dunaev was a decent Italian Singer as well.

    To summarise though, the three female principals were wonderful and I can say that the trio was the finest I've heard live and the performance was moving like good performances of Der Rosenkavalier should be. They were also supported by wonderful playing and conducting by the orchestra and Petrenko. I have to admit I had a very lucky cast change. Tomorrow I will review Elektra.
    Great review. I attended Fleming's last performance in that role this week at the Met with Garanca as Octavian, apparently a first pairing in those roles. The trio, including Morley, and of course the Met orchestra, delivered what can only be described as sublime music. Amazing that Fleming at 58?? is still performing at that level.

  5. Likes Amfortas, Hoffmann liked this post
  6. #4
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    3,325
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great review. I attended Fleming's last performance in that role this week at the Met with Garanca as Octavian, apparently a first pairing in those roles. The trio, including Morley, and of course the Met orchestra, delivered what can only be described as sublime music. Amazing that Fleming at 58?? is still performing at that level.
    Hi Gilloren, Welcome to the Forum!

    I agree, jflatter's review is superb - the Bayerische Staatsoper also is one of my favorite venues - they do a terrific job and almost always feature top flight casts (except when a certain tenor is under the weather and we hear a replacement instead...).

    I also was lucky to see Renee Fleming sing the Marschallin here in DC in a superb semi-staged/concert performance with the National Symphony of Der Rosenkavalier in 2014 (w/Stephanie Houtzeel - Octavian; Marisol Montalvo - Sophie and Franz Hawlata).

  7. Likes MAuer liked this post
  8. #5
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,793
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome, Gilloren. Great that you got to see Fleming in her farewell production!

  9. #6
    Junior Member Newcomer
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like
    Following my experience at the Met;hoping to replicate at home this wonderful experience, I bought the blue ray recording (2009) with Fleming/Damrau/Kock conducted by Christian Thielemann. Top artists, great visuals, but nothing like the live performance at the Met; especially during trio. Is the Met orchestra that good? Probably. I have had the same experience with Elektra, when I compare the latest blue ray to the same production live performance at the Scala.
    Are there better DVD's of Rosenkavalier than the one I bought?

  10. #7
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,479
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilloren View Post
    Following my experience at the Met;hoping to replicate at home this wonderful experience, I bought the blue ray recording (2009) with Fleming/Damrau/Kock conducted by Christian Thielemann. Top artists, great visuals, but nothing like the live performance at the Met; especially during trio. Is the Met orchestra that good? Probably. I have had the same experience with Elektra, when I compare the latest blue ray to the same production live performance at the Scala.
    Are there better DVD's of Rosenkavalier than the one I bought?
    I'm actually not that keen on Rosenkavalier but I make an exception for this:

    Natalie

  11. Likes Dichteurehalle liked this post
  12. #8
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    9,305
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    I'm actually not that keen on Rosenkavalier but I make an exception for this:

    Yeah, that's the best one, in no small measure thanks to the brilliant conductor.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  13. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. 2017/2018 Season
    By Ann Lander (sospiro) in forum General Operatic Discussion
    Replies: 202
    Last Post: August 25th, 2017, 10:28 AM
  2. 2016/2017 Season
    By Ann Lander (sospiro) in forum General Operatic Discussion
    Replies: 177
    Last Post: June 23rd, 2017, 07:39 AM
  3. Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg at the Bayerische Staatsoper, Munich, Germany
    By Hoffmann in forum Opera House & Theater Performance Reviews
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 6th, 2016, 07:10 PM
  4. La clemenza di Tito (Mozart), Bayerische Staatsoper, Munich, Germany
    By Hoffmann in forum Opera House & Theater Performance Reviews
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: February 16th, 2014, 07:44 PM
  5. OTF - Der Rosenkavalier
    By itywltmt in forum General Operatic Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 13th, 2012, 12:38 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


free html visitor counters
hit counter




Official Media Partners of Opera Carolina

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Opera Carolina

Official Media Partners of NC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of North Carolina Opera

Official Media Partners of Greensboro Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Greensboro Opera

Official Media Partners of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute and Piedmont Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute
of the University of North Carolina School of the Arts and Piedmont Opera

Official Media Partners of Asheville Lyric Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Asheville Lyric Opera

Official Media Partners of UNC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of UNC Opera
Dept. of Music, UNC-Chapel Hill College of Arts and Sciences

www.operalively.com

VISIT WWW.OPERALIVELY.COM FOR ALL YOUR OPERA NEEDS