A thread to share non-opera-related good news or uplifting real-life stories to brighten our day.

I'll start. I took my cats to the vet today. They're both healthy, and have actually each lost a pound since I last took them in (they'd been getting kinda chunky). Also, they already seem to have forgiven me for once again putting them through that trauma.

But that's not the real point of the story. Four years ago, at age seventeen, the veterinarian's daughter was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. She was gradually deteriorating, heading for life in a wheelchair at best. But an immunologist offered a cutting-edge stem cell transplant, still experimental. Her insurance provider wouldn't cover the treatment, but she was able to raise enough money online to go ahead with it. The results were miraculous--she's pretty much regained full functioning, with a 90% chance of remaining that way.

Today she was working behind the front desk at the vet's office; it was the first time I'd seen her in years (the family goes to the same church my ex-wife and I attended). I'd heard about her recovery from her father, but it was still impressive to see her in person, knowing how far she had come back from the disease. I made sure to tell her how glad I was that things had worked out so well.

It's a story that lifts my spirits; hope it does a little of the same for you.