Suzuki Elizabeth DeShong
    Bonze Jeremy White
    Kate Pinkerton Emily Edmonds
    Imperial Commissioner Gyula Nagy
    Prince Yamadori Yuriy Yurchuk
    Chorus Royal Opera Chorus
    Concert Master Peter Schulmeister
    Orchestra Orchestra of the Royal Opera House

Since being surprised on my birthday with the receipt for tickets to this performance I have been greatly looking forward to it. As our members will know Madama Butterfly is one of my favourite operas to listen to and as a result I know it very well.
    This performance was a matinee (which required me to wake up at 930 which is basically dawn for a student) however the early time of the performance was worth the wait.

Conductor and Orchestra: This aspect was one that I confess worried me Barbirolli does my favourite reading of the score and I have found that many others are not to my taste. I need not have worried at all Maestro Balsadonna did a wonderful interpretation and bought the nuance and sounds of the orchestra out in a way that the technology of a recording cant quite capture all of. This stands along with Bychkov's reading of Onegin back in that wonderful (musically) performance of 2015 as truly exceptional and outstanding. The orchestra were on top form no question the biggest star of this production was this. A++

Madama Butterfly: Ms Martinez was a very Good butterfly and all the notes were hit with very moving performance in the major arias and love duet. Acting was also good. However, one of my favourite effects in Butterfly's Entrance was not quite pulled off but this was the only quibble i really had. A very decent performance A+

Pinkerton: Mr Ilincai did a thoroughly detestable Pinkerton (and that is a good thing) in that he sang near perfectly and acted like the contemptible scoundrel that Pinkerton is. He made the character almost entirely unsympathetic which is the way it should be, Another very decent performance A+

Sharpless: I am torn on Mr Hendricks performance. His singing and acting were beautiful and especially in acts 2 and 3 he did close to a perfect job. He also helped knock my favourite bit of the opera out of the park in act 3 (the trio). Unfortunately part of the reason act 2 and 3 were so brilliant was because he held back a bit in act 1 which was a real shame. I did not struggle to hear him but I imagine others in the heavens might have during the first act. However this was not a problem at all in acts 2 and 3 which helped to make up for it. A

Suzuki: Elizabeth De Shong. Brilliant acting brilliant singing making the most of the part not a foot was put wrong here for a part that can often easily be overlooked top marks. A++

Comprimarios: Overall very good performance the only somewhat dodgy one being a very weak voiced alcoholic uncle as this is one line however overall good performances. A+

Chorus: Excellent again. I do not think they have put a foot wrong yet always doing a very good job. A++

Dolores: As a silent character this one is not normally mentioned but I think I need to give credit to the young Harry Langton for some very good acting for someone who could not even be 7. A++

Production: I am a big fan of more minimalist productions and this production was nice and simple in my view with clever use of the stage. A very good job but not up there with my absolute favourites as it did have a few minor problems. A+

Overall a very good production with strong musical values that was only hampered by tiny errors by some which are likely only noticeable if you are deeply in love with the opera. More than met my expectations especially the conductor and probably the most balanced overall I have seen (although the Onegin was on another level musically but that was a rare treat where everything fell into place exquisitely). A+

Let's hope that the Friday rush ticket of the Exterminating angel for next Monday will be as good!
    "Non sono in vena" Rodolfo summing up P.B's feelings on his dissertation.

2. Likes Hoffmann, Nemorino, Soave_Fanciulla, MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Povero Buoso View Post
    Music Giacomo Puccini
    Libretto Giuseppe Giacosa and Luigi Illica
    Directors Moshe Leiser and Patrice Caurier
    Set designer Christian Fenouillat
    Costume designer Agostino Cavalca
    Lighting designer Christophe Forey

Conducto rRenato Balsadonna
    Cio-Cio-San Ana María Martínez
    Lieutenant B.F. Pinkerton Teodor Ilincai
    Sharpless Scott Hendricks
    Goro Carlo Bosi
    Suzuki Elizabeth DeShong
    Bonze Jeremy White
    Kate Pinkerton Emily Edmonds
    Imperial Commissioner Gyula Nagy
    Prince Yamadori Yuriy Yurchuk
    Chorus Royal Opera Chorus
    Concert Master Peter Schulmeister
    Orchestra Orchestra of the Royal Opera House

Since being surprised on my birthday with the receipt for tickets to this performance I have been greatly looking forward to it. As our members will know Madama Butterfly is one of my favourite operas to listen to and as a result I know it very well.
    This performance was a matinee (which required me to wake up at 930 which is basically dawn for a student) however the early time of the performance was worth the wait.

Conductor and Orchestra: This aspect was one that I confess worried me Barbirolli does my favourite reading of the score and I have found that many others are not to my taste. I need not have worried at all Maestro Balsadonna did a wonderful interpretation and bought the nuance and sounds of the orchestra out in a way that the technology of a recording cant quite capture all of. This stands along with Bychkov's reading of Onegin back in that wonderful (musically) performance of 2015 as truly exceptional and outstanding. The orchestra were on top form no question the biggest star of this production was this. A++

Madama Butterfly: Ms Martinez was a very Good butterfly and all the notes were hit with very moving performance in the major arias and love duet. Acting was also good. However, one of my favourite effects in Butterfly's Entrance was not quite pulled off but this was the only quibble i really had. A very decent performance A+

Pinkerton: Mr Ilincai did a thoroughly detestable Pinkerton (and that is a good thing) in that he sang near perfectly and acted like the contemptible scoundrel that Pinkerton is. He made the character almost entirely unsympathetic which is the way it should be, Another very decent performance A+

Sharpless: I am torn on Mr Hendricks performance. His singing and acting were beautiful and especially in acts 2 and 3 he did close to a perfect job. He also helped knock my favourite bit of the opera out of the park in act 3 (the trio). Unfortunately part of the reason act 2 and 3 were so brilliant was because he held back a bit in act 1 which was a real shame. I did not struggle to hear him but I imagine others in the heavens might have during the first act. However this was not a problem at all in acts 2 and 3 which helped to make up for it. A

Suzuki: Elizabeth De Shong. Brilliant acting brilliant singing making the most of the part not a foot was put wrong here for a part that can often easily be overlooked top marks. A++

Comprimarios: Overall very good performance the only somewhat dodgy one being a very weak voiced alcoholic uncle as this is one line however overall good performances. A+

Chorus: Excellent again. I do not think they have put a foot wrong yet always doing a very good job. A++

Dolores: As a silent character this one is not normally mentioned but I think I need to give credit to the young Harry Langton for some very good acting for someone who could not even be 7. A++

Production: I am a big fan of more minimalist productions and this production was nice and simple in my view with clever use of the stage. A very good job but not up there with my absolute favourites as it did have a few minor problems. A+

Overall a very good production with strong musical values that was only hampered by tiny errors by some which are likely only noticeable if you are deeply in love with the opera. More than met my expectations especially the conductor and probably the most balanced overall I have seen (although the Onegin was on another level musically but that was a rare treat where everything fell into place exquisitely). A+

Let's hope that the Friday rush ticket of the Exterminating angel for next Monday will be as good!
    Excellent review PB!!

It can be a nervous time when you go to see a favourite opera so I'm pleased it didn't disappoint.

... which required me to wake up at 930 which is basically dawn for a student