Thread: The Soprano Vocal Fach

Bookmark and Share
    Junior Member Newcomer
    Post Thanks / Like

The Soprano Vocal Fach

Hello,

I'm new to the forum but I am an AVID opera fan (:

--I have a YouTube channel devoted to to voice (not me singing lol) .. I wanted to start a small educational series on vocal fach. I would like to start to serious by examining the soprano voice. I know the soprano voice is split into different types: Soubrette/Light Lyric, Full Lyric, Spinto and Dramatic. I feel like I am well versed in being able to identify voices types on my own; however, I need a little help trying to explain it to others what I think.

I am seeking to find out within each type of voice type what are the characteristics of each. For example, how does the voice sound in the lower, middle and higher register. What is the tonal quality these voices typically have etc... A lot of people are interested in learning about this and I am interested in making a video of it!

Any help would greatly be appreciated!

Thanks!

2. Thanks Hoffmann thanked for this post
    Likes Hoffmann liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MilikKashad View Post
    Hello,

--I have a YouTube channel devoted to to voice (not me singing lol) .. I wanted to start a small educational series on vocal fach. I would like to start to serious by examining the soprano voice. I know the soprano voice is split into different types: Soubrette/Light Lyric, Full Lyric, Spinto and Dramatic. I feel like I am well versed in being able to identify voices types on my own; however, I need a little help trying to explain it to others what I think.

I am seeking to find out within each type of voice type what are the characteristics of each. For example, how does the voice sound in the lower, middle and higher register. What is the tonal quality these voices typically have etc... A lot of people are interested in learning about this and I am interested in making a video of it!

Thanks!
    Hi there and welcome

I'd love to help but I can't, as I don't really like sopranos. Others on this forum are better informed and more enthusiastic though!
    Natalie

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

Thanks!
    Hi, we do have a thread called Opera Terms in the Educational section that replies to some of these questions. Welcome to Opera Lively!
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

Thanks!
    Very interesting idea. I think about this question myself and can't say that I know enough to be able to explain the difference between the within vocal fach types myself. I've found myself trying to explain the differences to friends and family without much success.

While Opera Lively does explain the terms as Luiz indicated, it might well prove to be an interesting and useful exercise to pinpoint examples that illustrate the differences. I spend almost no time on You Tube and am not sure how to proceed, but am willing to help.

6. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Antonio Pappano did a TV series called "Classical Voices" in which he went into some serious detail on the issues you raised. There was a soprano who actually had a CT scan of her vocal equipment while singing. I'd be surprised if this excellent series is not floating around on the internet.

8. Likes Amfortas liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can't help either, but welcome to the forum!