Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Thread: Operas by Verdi on DVD, Blu-ray, and CD

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
    Certainly, I mean: if I want to be XXIst century Bellini, shouldn't I write for XXIst century Rubini? But that's just fantasy, if I'll ever write first opera it probably will not be performed at all or performed by mediocre crew and before provincial audience.
    A world audience Aramis, we'll fly in from four corners of the globe as long as you promise to sing in it.
    Natalie

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    A world audience Aramis, we'll fly in from four corners of the globe as long as you promise to sing in it.
    A world audience Aramis, we'll fly in from four corners of the globe as long as you promise *not* to sing in it.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Was finally able to get the Gheorghiu/Alagna Trovatore used from UK vendor.......its OK put I was expecting a bit more from these two stars in thier prime vocal era, Papano delivers orchestrally so not a lost cause, just not great overall

Callas on the other hand is the greatest Leonora I have heard, 1956 studio recording in very good mono sound. Everytime I hear this performance it reveals intricate vocal details and emotion insight that completely elude even the best singers, Stephano is a virile bold Manrico that is perfect match for Maria, what a pair in thier prime, this is one of the great Verdi opera recordings

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Angel View Post

Was finally able to get the Gheorghiu/Alagna Trovatore used from UK vendor.......its OK put I was expecting a bit more from these two stars in thier prime vocal era, Papano delivers orchestrally so not a lost cause, just not great overall

Callas on the other hand is the greatest Leonora I have heard, 1956 studio recording in very good mono sound. Everytime I hear this performance it reveals intricate vocal details and emotion insight that completely elude even the best singers, Stephano is a virile bold Manrico that is perfect match for Maria, what a pair in thier prime, this is one of the great Verdi opera recordings
    Here is my opinion of Roberto Alagna: pretty nice guy. Someone I'd love to have a cup of wine with over some nice food. He seems to be just cool and friendly. He needs to put up with a bitchy wife, he's gotta be very patient and laid back. As a singer: *capable* of reaching some strikingly good performances, but *as a rule*, *most of the time*, not that good. Seems to not always try hard.

Angela Gheorghiu: outstanding singer. One of the few sopranos in her generation who actually can compete with some of the greats of the past in terms of vocal technique. As a rule, most of the time, very good. But always seems to be trying too hard and to be too self-absorbed in some ego trip. *Not* someone I'd like to gave a cup of wine with.

Callas: Don't even talk to me about any flaws. For all practical purposes, she was perfect. I don't think I'd stop at having a cup of wine with her. I'd marry her today, if she were still alive and wanted me.

So this is pretty much how I'd approach these recordings. Call it the Almaviva method for gauging singers.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Almaviva View Post
    Here is my opinion of Roberto Alagna: pretty nice guy. Someone I'd love to have a cup of wine with over some nice food. He seems to be just cool and friendly. He needs to put up with a bitchy wife, he's gotta be very patient and laid back. As a singer: *capable* of reaching some strikingly good performances, but *as a rule*, *most of the time*, not that good. Seems to not always try hard.

Angela Gheorghiu: outstanding singer. One of the few sopranos in her generation who actually can compete with some of the greats of the past in terms of vocal technique. As a rule, most of the time, very good. But always seems to be trying too hard and to be too self-absorbed in some ego trip. *Not* someone I'd like to gave a cup of wine with.

Callas: Don't even talk to me about any flaws. For all practical purposes, she was perfect. I don't think I'd stop at having a cup of wine with her. I'd marry her today, if she were still alive and wanted me.

So this is pretty much how I'd approach these recordings. Call it the Almaviva method for gauging singers.
    Oh no, now you are really in trouble cruel one.....Anna wants a word with you

Banned Top Contributor Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Almaviva View Post
    Call it the Almaviva method for gauging singers.
    Almaviva's? I used it long before you hatched from egg.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Angel View Post
    Oh no, now you are really in trouble cruel one.....Anna wants a word with you

Oh no, Anna would still be a more senior wife. I practice soprano poligamy (it's a new religion I've created).

8. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Senior Member Involved Member jflatter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I quite like the Pappano recording Trovatore. The main let down for is Hampson as the Count. I think it is one of Draculette's best recordings. Again though, I don't remember her doing this role on stage which is like Butterfly and if I recall an Aida is the pipeline.

Senior Member Top Contributor Member HarpsichordConcerto's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    An adequate but not great Verdi collection of five operas plus one gala; fitting present for the mother-in-law (or to be).

Five operas: (1) Nabucco (2) Ernani (3) Il Coraso (4) I Vespri Siciliani (5) La Forza del Destino (6) Verdi Gala

Adequate productions by all accounts from Dynamic featuring five of Verdi's operas. All staging were traditional in spirit but modern in mood. Most singers were well accomplished as were the orchestras. The weakest was probably the recorded sound with La Forza. The strongest out of the lot was Nabucco. The Verdi gala (disc #6) was enjoyable featuring numbers from different operas. What the hell, it was not expensive at all.

(1) Nabucco
    Live recorded at Teatro Carlo Felice of Genoa in June 2004. Subtitles: IT/EN/FR/DE/ES/JP/ZH - 140 min. Alberto Gazale, Susan Neves, Orlin Anastassov & Yasuharu Nakajima. Orchestra and Chorus of Teatro Carlo Felice di Genova, Riccardo Frizza (conductor) & Jonathan Miller (director)

(2) Ernani
    Live recorded at Teatro Regio of Parma in May 2005. Subtitles: IT/EN/FR/DE/ES - 126 min. Marco Berti, Susan Neves, Giacomo Prestia & Carlo Guelfi. Orchestra and Chorus of Teatro Regio di Parma, Antonello Allemandi (conductor) & Pier‘Alli (director)

(3) Il Corsaro
    Live recorded at Teatro Regio of Parma in June 2004. Subtitles: IT/EN/FR/DE/ES/JP/ZH - 107 min. Zvetan Michailov, Renato Bruson, Michela Sburlati & Adriana Damato. Orchestra and Chorus of Teatro Regio di Parma, Renato Palumbo (conductor) & Lamberto Puggelli (director)

(4) I Vespri Siciliani
    Live recorded at Teatro Verdi of Busseto in February 2003. Subtitles: IT/EN/FR/DE/ES - 159 min. Amarilli Nizza, Vladimir Stoyanov, Renzo Zulian & Orlin Anastassov. Orchestra and Chorus of Fondazione Arturo Toscanini - Balletto del Teatro di Torino, Stefano Ranzani (conductor) & Pier Luigi Pizzi (director)

(5) La forza del destino
    Live recorded at Teatro Comunale of Modena in January 2006. Subtitles: IT/EN/FR/DE/ES - 181 min. Susanna Branchini, Renzo Zulian, Marco Di Felice, Paolo Battaglia Tiziana Carraro & Paolo Rumetz. Orchestra Filarmonia Veneta “G. F. Malipiero” Chorus of Teatro Sociale di Rovigo, Lukas Karytinos (conductor) & Pier Francesco Maestrini (director)

(6) plus a Verdi Gala featuring José Cura, Leo Nucci, Tiziana Fabbricini, Zvetan Michailov, Vladimir Stoyanov Adriana Damato, Alessandra Rezza, Valter Borin & Franco De Grandis

11. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pavarotti sings Trovatore (Manrico) comparing the 1990 Mehta vs 1976 Bonynge......

Luciano had a long singing career where he could sing at a very high skill level, his 1990 performance still sounds quite good at least 90% of his earlier 1976 performance level.....but there are numerous problems with 1990. The Leonora is weak (Banaudi) and Mehta is often too relaxed in tempo and singers are sometimes too closely miked and emphasized , the best part is Verrett's searing Azucena which really jumps out.

For $9 I paid the 1990 is OK for collectors but there are many better Trovatores including the 1976 Pavarotti

Post Thanks / Like

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

We should be grateful that this titanical performance was recorded and we can hear it in listenable quality. One doesn't get a cast like this too often - almost perfect, where's the flaw? Even that minor role of Tebaldo, which doesn't have anything of major importance to sing, is staffed with singer of the highest order, that is: Fredericka von Stade. Corelli is Corelli here, loving and suffering like few can, Siepi and Milnes buzz and hum so nicely, with dignity and strenght fitting their roles of high nobility, then Caballe which is absolutely stunning in the final scene with great soprano aria, she's young here and her voice is pure, it could be first time I thought WATATAVOE because of her. And what applause did she get in the end:

Not to mention her legendary last note.

14. Likes Amfortas, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mixed feelings.

Orchestra - class, as you would guess. Domingo is to tall. Freni is shorther but I didn't feel her creation of Elisabetta. Posa - stands out in negative way, not very bad singer but for me he lacked certain nobility, you doesn't feel Posa to be such magnificent person as you do when you see and hear him as performed by Cappuccili in Salzburg (Karajan, Carreras, d'Amico DVD - surely the best Carlo DVD I can think of). This is longer version though and if one want to hear this one, well, I wouldn't want to discourage him too much, this DVD has some extraordinary qualities, splendid scenography and few extreordinary singers who are good even if not at their best. For Domingo's Don Carlo, still, I guess the CDs with other cast are to be prefered over this one, musically.

Senior Member Veteran Member Aksel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Mixed feelings.

Orchestra - class, as you would guess. Domingo is to tall. Freni is shorther but I didn't feel her creation of Elisabetta. Posa - stands out in negative way, not very bad singer but for me he lacked certain nobility, you doesn't feel Posa to be such magnificent person as you do when you see and hear him as performed by Cappuccili in Salzburg (Karajan, Carreras, d'Amico DVD - surely the best Carlo DVD I can think of). This is longer version though and if one want to hear this one, well, I wouldn't want to discourage him too much, this DVD has some extraordinary qualities, splendid scenography and few extreordinary singers who are good even if not at their best. For Domingo's Don Carlo, still, I guess the CDs with other cast are to be prefered over this one, musically.
    Apart from Agnes Baltsa (and to a certain extent Cappuccilli), that production is a right snoozefest. A well-sung snoozefest, but still.

Post Thanks / Like
    You mean poor acting? Well, you don't get it much better on other DVDs if you ask me. Besides:

- Carreras' dramatic look of power (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYAjXxXMS_E - here at 0:16)
    - Carreras' looking good in his custome
    - Carreras waving his hands and looking at them like he would have words of arias written there (it's always a spectacle on it's own rights)
    - Flame Izzo of Friend is beautiful
    - Evocative, stirring dark stage in first and last scenes

All in all I find it very good visually, despite some flaws.

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    You mean poor acting? Well, you don't get it much better on other DVDs if you ask me. Besides:

- Carreras' dramatic look of power (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYAjXxXMS_E - here at 0:16)
    - Carreras' looking good in his custome
    - Carreras waving his hands and looking at them like he would have words of arias written there (it's always a spectacle on it's own rights)
    - Flame Izzo of Friend is beautiful
    - Evocative, stirring dark stage in first and last scenes

All in all I find it very good visually, despite some flaws.
    I have this DVD as Carreras was my first 'opera love' & even though it's the Four Act it's one of my favourites.

As is this:

"The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

19. Likes Aramis liked this post
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast