Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Thread: Operas by Verdi on DVD, Blu-ray, and CD

Bookmark and Share
    Banned Top Contributor Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Must check this Villazon one. I can easily imagine him as good Don Carlo.

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
    Must check this Villazon one. I can easily imagine him as good Don Carlo.
    Yes he is. And Keenlyside is a great Posa.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like the old Met production, partly because it was my first encounter with Don Carlo. I agree, Aramis, that Luis Quilico's Posa is the weak link, and I suppose you could take Freni to task as well for too reserved a performance. Still, I wouldn't be without it in my DVD collection.

I also like much of the Nicholas Hytner production mentioned above--saw the Met broadcast with Alagna in the title role. Will eventually get the DVD of the Royal Opera House incarnation with Villazon.

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think I just accidently discovered one of the very best Aidas available......

A live 1961 recording currently offered by Gala Label, the sound quality is really amazing one of the very best live recordings I have heard and better than many studio recordings for sound quality....you can hear everything and audience is like a church mouse!

Del Monaco, Tucci, Simionato are really great here with the extra excitement of a live performance, I have most of the highest rated Aidias and this yields nothing to them....it is a gift from the opera gods. Amazon USA has it new for $8.75 and used for $3, you will not regret this purchase

Schigolch
    Tucci was a very good Aida, indeed.

Post Thanks / Like

Trovatore live versions: Karajan 1962 vs Cleva 1961
    Two excellent live versions both in very good sound, both featuring Corelli and Price as leads

Cleva carries a noticeably faster tempo and Corelli is much more dramatic and show stopping (some say excessive showmanship but not for me) in his performance, I had read that Karajan was always trimming his sails when working with him. Price about equally impressive in both versions during her peak years of singing ability.

Karajan cast for Count di Luna and Azucena are stronger especially Simionato who is very powerful and dramatic Azucena, during duets with Corelli the fireworks are launched, magnifico! Overall Karajan is superior but this is one of the very best MET series released to date in very good sound and cheap.....well worth buying, you cannot have too many great Trovatore performances!

7. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1963 TV performance of Leonora's opening aria describing her mysterious troubador, you can see why Price during her peak was a great singer combining velvet smooth tone with powerful delivery (Callas remains the greatest Leonora for me)

9. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member HarpsichordConcerto's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Giovanna d'Arco (1845)

Renato Bruson, Susan Dunn, Vincenzo La Scola, Orchestra Communale Di Bologna, Riccardo Chailly (1990).

Another one of those relatively rare Verdi operas based on a religious theme. A reasonably adequate production with fine singing though not the best acting, with much stiff walkings and postures on stage. Traditional costumes and traditional feel on stage marred by obviously modern looking perfectly constructed staircase going across the stage reminded me of a production that looked like it was done on a budget. That said, Riccardo Chailly directed the score with fine energy. There were several fine arias and duets all featuring Giovanna d'Arco giving me the sense that Verdi did his best during what was still his early years with opera. Quite a number of chorus numbers (like in Nabucco and in I Lombardi alla prima crociata, all semi-religious theme operas featuring the chorus depicting the mood of the people and nations). The quality of the DVD showed its age but it didn't really bother me. As there is no other version on DVD/Blu-ray to compare with, it's a decent and fitting one to add to a Verdi collection.

11. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice, this is one of the Verdi's that I don't know, good to know that there is a commercial release.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Almaviva View Post
    Nice, this is one of the Verdi's that I don't know, good to know that there is a commercial release.
    I have all of Verdi's operas on CD but several I don't have on DVD & this is one of them. I intend to get it eventually - can recommend this CD.

"The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Post Thanks / Like

Greatest recorded Trovatore in my book - only Corelli is perfect: I'd say that Cappuccilli was more lyrical and sensitive di Luna than Merrill (though hardly as powerful and brutal when needed), that Callas, Ricciarelli and few other sopranos had more sublime vocalizes than Tucci in sighing aria, but it's still rare combination of various kinds of greatnesses. The recording quality is awesome, orchestral score realised as one could desire, there are three absolutely great singers and one singer out of this world breathing notes each of which is pure gold (I don't belive there was ever stronger pre-wedding scene than here, both aria and cabaletta are stunning). I think of it so much higher than of the other Corelli Trovatore with Price.

Post Thanks / Like

Greatest recorded Trovatore in my book - only Corelli is perfect: I'd say that Cappuccilli was more lyrical and sensitive di Luna than Merrill (though hardly as powerful and brutal when needed), that Callas, Ricciarelli and few other sopranos had more sublime vocalizes than Tucci in sighing aria, but it's still rare combination of various kinds of greatnesses. The recording quality is awesome, orchestral score realised as one could desire, there are three absolutely great singers and one singer out of this world breathing notes each of which is pure gold (I don't belive there was ever stronger pre-wedding scene than here, both aria and cabaletta are stunning). I think of it so much higher than of the other Corelli Trovatore with Price.
    Is it live or studio?
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    Is it live or studio?
    Studio, naturally. That's one of it's greatest advantages.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good. I also gave a favorable review of it in our Trovatore in-depth files, and I've copied and pasted your review of it there, side by side with mine.
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); April 22nd, 2012 at 09:11 PM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like

Yes indeed that is a great one aided by very good studio sound, Tucci does great job as Leonora (Callas remains my gold standard) I would also give it a slight edge over any of the Corelli/Price live Trovatore's form early 1960s. The problem is very expensive to purchase it now........

I am listening to this 1956 Decca stereo studio version now:

Simionato sings a wonderful Azucena for both Tucci and Tebaldi versions, Tebaldi is slightly out of her comfort zone here lacking some of the dramatic fireworks and impressive agile runs of say Callas, but one can easily adapt to her more refined charms and enjoy her mastery. Del Monaco is a dramatic heroic Manrico similar to Corelli, they are both great although I will give edge to Corelli, one should own both of these.

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast