Thread: Opera exhibit in London

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Opera exhibit in London

"J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

2. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Looks fabulous and is on my list to do. I must sort out a date.

http://www.roh.org.uk/exhibitions/op...r-and-politics

4. Thanks Hoffmann thanked for this post
    Likes MAuer, Hoffmann liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    Looks fabulous and is on my list to do. I must sort out a date.

http://www.roh.org.uk/exhibitions/op...r-and-politics
    Once you do, report to us, tell us the most exciting parts, with pics if they allow them to be snatched, please.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

6. Likes MAuer, Hoffmann, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Once you do, report to us, tell us the most exciting parts, with pics if they allow them to be snatched, please.
    Will do!

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I spotted this, too, and sent it along to a friend in London - I hope she is able to see it.

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    And this coupled with the BBC's special programs devoted to opera this Fall!

10. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    I'm surprised at this. Compared with what's shown on European TV it's not much, but I'm grateful for small mercies!

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I booked tickets for this for the day after tomorrow and am really looking forward to it. I don't go to London much but for opera...

13. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Senior Member Involved Member Nemorino's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    I eagerly await the TV special. I love Pappano in the previous TV docs he's done for BBC, and want to try to get my roommate to watch this one with me.

15. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Senior Member Involved Member Nemorino's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Finally uncovered when the BBC TV tie-ins to this event are airing. "Lucy Worsley's Nights at the Opera" airs on BBC2 on 10/14 and 10/21 (2 different episodes). Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like this is going to feature as much history of the 7 operas featured in the VA exhibit as I was hoping; Worsley is promoting the show with a lot of gimmicky Opera 101 questions like "Can a soprano shatter glass? Tune in to find out!" Anyway, we'll see how it is.

On October 15, BBC4 is airing doc "Jonas Kaufmann: Tenor for the Ages". Sounds effusive, but I will still watch it.

17. Thanks Clayton thanked for this post
    Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    ***spoiler alert***

***don't read if you are planning to visit V and A exhibit...***

I had booked tickets for this exhibition through the ROH a couple of months in advance. It showed later on the website that the same time slot was sold out but when I checked in, my name was only one of four on the list so either the ROH site had very limited ticket allowance or maybe they are keeping entry numbers very low.
    Either way, the number of visitors was so few that I could spend as much time as I liked in a very relaxed atmosphere. This is my favourite sort of exhibition style.

The exhibition is more like a highlights of the history of opera through seven works, with a few excerpts from each that is listened to through headphones. As you move through the different rooms, music played on a loop is heard appropriate to which room you are in. As you listen to the pieces, there are different exhibits in the room to look at. For those with a slightly higher brain function than me, there are also writings all around (I find it much too distracting to both read and listen to music) the room which explain about the composer, the music and the environment in which it was written.

It starts with Venice in the seventeenth century where the city was a prosperous trading port but had started to lose importance due to growing interest in the Americas and introduces us to Monteverdi. Then it takes us to London in the early eighteenth century where the East India Company was starting and there were over two thousand coffee houses where men discussed politics. Handel and the work Rinaldo is explored here.

Name:  Rinaldo autograph score.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  43.8 KB
    Autograph score of Rinaldo

The exhibition continues to Vienna, Milan, Dresden and the Soviet Union while listening to and learning about Mozart and Le Nozze di Figaro, Verdi and Nabucco, Wagner and Tannhäuser, Strauss and Salome, Shostakovich and Lady Macbeth of the Mtensk. There is a final brief look at "World Opera" which has excerpts of modern and contemporary works such as Poulenc, Britten, Adams and Glass.

Name:  Piano played by Mozart.jpg
Size:  58.4 KB Name:  La Traviata 1994 ROH Costume.jpg
Size:  37.9 KB
    left Piano played by Mozart, - right Dress from 1994 ROH production La Traviata

Items on exhibition include costumes both old and recent, documents such scores and letters, musical instruments, period living such as glass and ceramics and other artworks like one of Rodin's head of John the Baptist.

The exhibition asks that you allocate seventy minutes but I took ninety because I read less while I was listening to the music but the seventy minutes is probably calculated from if you listen to all the music played in each room rather than looking at all the exhibits and reading the writings around the room which would take much less time.
    It is fun and I think has a little for everyone, maybe even for those not so interested in music but enjoys studying about history. The writings around the rooms are in different styles; some I would describe as plain English but most in the more modern pop or tweet style (concise points, tongue in cheek and in speech bubbles).

Name:  ROH Salome 1949 set design Dali.jpg
Size:  35.5 KB
    1949 ROH production Salome, set design sketches by Dali

Some parts of the exhibition that I enjoyed the most or found interesting include a one minute and thirty second clip from Soviet television showing Shostakovich at work composing Lady Macbeth of Mtensk, a design sketch by Salvador Dalí who was responsible for set and costume design for the 1949 ROH production of Salome and comparing the musical scoring by the hand of Mozart to other composers such as Verdi or Handel. I also very much liked seeing again the dress from the 1994 ROH La Traviata production but that was no surprise; I knew that was there from the exhibition promotions.

Name:  Baroque period instruments.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  37.6 KB
    Baroque period instruments

If I could make just one small change to the exhibition, it would perhaps be accessibility or the price of nineteen pounds. There are so many stakeholders here that I wonder if the burden could be adjusted.

19. Thanks Ann Lander (sospiro), Nemorino thanked for this post
    Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), Nemorino, MAuer liked this post