Thread: Where to go for opera trip in early September 2018?

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Where to go for opera trip in early September 2018?

I thought of going to Europe again in July to see Sciarrino's new opera with my friend Hoffmann in Berlin. It turns out that it might be difficult to do it in July, for day job-related reasons. Next time I might be free to travel would be the first two weeks of September, 1st through 15th. So I wrote to the press departments of the Bavarian State Opera and the Vienna State Opera. They both replied in a friendly manner (so we can expect to be able to run interviews) but Munich said unfortunately their season only starts on September 21, and my dates are kind of rigid. Fortunately Vienna does start on September 6.

Anyway, where else in Europe might I go, especially between September 1st and 6th? I'd like to try to combine three cities in one trip.

I like to go to new places, so, if it's not to be with Hoffmann in Berlin for Sciarrino, I wouldn't want to go back to Berlin. Paris, London, Milan, Prague, Budapest, Athens are other "been there done that" cities since they were the destinations of other opera trips in recent years.

Any suggestions? Are you guys aware of compelling early shows for the 2018-19 seasons that will be in full force in the first two weeks of September? Does anybody know what the Mariinsky has scheduled? St. Petersburg would be tempting. I wrote to them too but got no answer so far. I somehow fear that the Russians will be less friendly to Americans than the Germans.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know dates for next season but Amsterdam opened 2017/2018 with La forza del destino on 9 September.

If you go here, [clicky] you'll find the opening dates for the current season which may give a clue to opening dates for 2018/2019. Click on the country.

Edit - Have heard good reports about Dresden and they started their 2017/2018 season really early
    Last edited by Ann Lander (sospiro); December 7th, 2017 at 05:04 PM.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Annie, great resource. Well, I explored it extensively and it is dismal. There's practically nothing anywhere including festivals. There are a few productions by some small houses here and there which don't justify such an expensive trip. I'll have to go back to the drawing board and see about different dates.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, nowhere near Sept, but next April I am attending the semi-staged Monteverdi L'orfeo at Hill Auditorium in Ann Arbor MI.

Also performances at their home base in Cleveland, and touring to several other cities.

EDIT: Forgot something. If you were to make an April Trip to Ann Arbor (or even Cleveland), then in the same month in Detroit (close to Ann Arbor or Cleveland) is Tosca at the Michigan Opera Theater (MOT).. The dates are such that you might be able to schedule it to be two nights in a row.

Then if you really want to pack it in, MOT has a Gilbert and Sullivan opera at the end of April.

Now, would you like recommendations for hotels and dining and other entertainment in SE Michigan?
    Necessities of life: food, water, air, shelter, and opera.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    Well, nowhere near Sept, but next April I am attending the semi-staged Monteverdi L'orfeo at Hill Auditorium in Ann Arbor MI.

Also performances at their home base in Cleveland, and touring to several other cities.

EDIT: Forgot something. If you were to make an April Trip to Ann Arbor (or even Cleveland), then in the same month in Detroit (close to Ann Arbor or Cleveland) is Tosca at the Michigan Opera Theater (MOT).. The dates are such that you might be able to schedule it to be two nights in a row.

Then if you really want to pack it in, MOT has a Gilbert and Sullivan opera at the end of April.

Now, would you like recommendations for hotels and dining and other entertainment in SE Michigan?
    Thanks, but I'm craving Europe, not a domestic trip.