Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Thread: Film

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Festat View Post
    Weepy overload for me this week as I try to pitch my research project about the connection between body, voice, opera and cinematic melodrama next Monday.

More to come. Wish me luck!
    Good luck with your project! How could they possibly resist?

2. Likes Festat liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Good luck with your project! How could they possibly resist?
    Does this count in the weepy overload files? I have to confess I had never seen it and was very disappointed with the happy ending, albeit relieved about the cat.

Natalie

4. Likes Hoffmann, Festat liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Festat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The happy ending feels very out of place in an otherwise so subtly dark movie, doesn't it? Happens often in the family melodramas that I love, where the happy ending is merely perfunctory. You just know nothing's gonna be really alright, things have been shaken too deeply. It's a very cruel genre.

Well, except for Imitation of Life which ends as badly as you'd hope, with Mahalia Jackson singing the tears out of you and literal coffin hugging.

6. Likes Amfortas, Hoffmann, Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Festat View Post
    Weepy overload for me this week as I try to pitch my research project about the connection between body, voice, opera and cinematic melodrama next Monday.
    Does your project have any place for Andrei Serban's Vienna Werther by way of Douglas Sirk melodrama?

8. Thanks Festat thanked for this post
    Senior Member Veteran Member Povero Buoso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Recently I have been on trips to the cinema to see two films both of which I thought were brilliant. The first was Blade Runner 2049 as a fan of the original bladerunner (the final cut though) I found it to be a more than worthy sequel. The other film was one that a friend encouraged me to see with him which was The Death of Stalin. This was an incredibly humorous film only matched by how very very dark it was . Interestingly the trailer contains several examples of opera one of which I was able to recognize immediately as it is immensely popular and well known (I think?) the other though I am at a loss for though my guess is one of the Five? I have linked the trailer if anyone wants to have a gander (a warning though quite a bit of the language is rather coarse!)

Both are definitely recommended though with Blade Runner 2049 a viewing of the original will add significantly to the experience and with Death of Stalin I must reiterate it is a wonderful but very dark film.
    "Non sono in vena" Rodolfo summing up P.B's feelings on his dissertation.

10. Likes Nemorino, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Senior Member Involved Member Nemorino's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Povero Buoso View Post
    Recently I have been on trips to the cinema to see two films both of which I thought were brilliant. The first was Blade Runner 2049 as a fan of the original bladerunner (the final cut though) I found it to be a more than worthy sequel. The other film was one that a friend encouraged me to see with him which was The Death of Stalin. This was an incredibly humorous film only matched by how very very dark it was . Interestingly the trailer contains several examples of opera one of which I was able to recognize immediately as it is immensely popular and well known (I think?) the other though I am at a loss for though my guess is one of the Five? I have linked the trailer if anyone wants to have a gander (a warning though quite a bit of the language is rather coarse!)

Both are definitely recommended though with Blade Runner 2049 a viewing of the original will add significantly to the experience and with Death of Stalin I must reiterate it is a wonderful but very dark film.
    Excellent films! "The Death of Stalin" is terrific. Trailer cues: Polonaise from "Eugene Onegin" (my favorite), and the choral piece is the Soviet National Anthem. Also, the score of the film emulates Shostakovich and Prokofiev really well. I mean, I could tell it wasn't them, but it was close enough that it made me smile.

Note about the accents for anybody watching the trailer who thinks it's weird the combination of American and British actors all using their native accents. The director had 3 justifications for this: 1. He didn't want to mess with the actors' natural comic timing. 2. Russians and Russian immigrants *hate* it when we try to do the "Russian accent" in movies (rightly so), and 3. The politicians in Moscow depicted in the movie are all from so many different far-flung Russian states that they all had accents to each other, it wasn't all one dialect of Russian.

Senior Member Veteran Member Povero Buoso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemorino View Post
    Excellent films! "The Death of Stalin" is terrific. Trailer cues: Polonaise from "Eugene Onegin" (my favorite), and the choral piece is the Soviet National Anthem. Also, the score of the film emulates Shostakovich and Prokofiev really well. I mean, I could tell it wasn't them, but it was close enough that it made me smile.

Note about the accents for anybody watching the trailer who thinks it's weird the combination of American and British actors all using their native accents. The director had 3 justifications for this: 1. He didn't want to mess with the actors' natural comic timing. 2. Russians and Russian immigrants *hate* it when we try to do the "Russian accent" in movies (rightly so), and 3. The politicians in Moscow depicted in the movie are all from so many different far-flung Russian states that they all had accents to each other, it wasn't all one dialect of Russian.
    I had no idea that the choral piece was the soviet national anthem! The fact that it was used with the Polonaise though does seem to indicate that as far as Russian opera goes Eugene Onegin is possibly the most famous. The Polonaise is also one of my favourite pieces in any opera as well. Again I want to reiterate just how much I enjoyed the Death of Stalin probably the best film I have seen this year.
    "Non sono in vena" Rodolfo summing up P.B's feelings on his dissertation.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Povero Buoso View Post
    I had no idea that the choral piece was the soviet national anthem! The fact that it was used with the Polonaise though does seem to indicate that as far as Russian opera goes Eugene Onegin is possibly the most famous. The Polonaise is also one of my favourite pieces in any opera as well. Again I want to reiterate just how much I enjoyed the Death of Stalin probably the best film I have seen this year.
    I am definitely going to see this!
    Natalie

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17