Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: Film

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Festat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, there's too much love in this thread already. Let's hate a little: some of the most pretentious movies ever made, Picnic.

No only none of them can dance, director Joshua Logan — who made other doubtful movies like Sayonara — reduced Bill Holden, who's a very fine actor (Sunset Blvd., Stalag 17 and the frivolous and sweet Paris when it sizzles), to a hairy chest. Novak is awful, which is expected for she could only act under Wilder (Kiss me, stupid), in all other movies she just stands there being annoying with those half-inch eyebrows — which works in Vertigo, and in Vertigo only.
    Picnic tries to be sultry and sexy, but it eventually shows to be a cheap, embarrassing attempt to be daring by exposing sexuality and sensuality. The only good thing about it is always perfect Rosalind Russel, who must have been ashamed to read her lines during the making of this... film.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Third most favourite film:

Natalie

Senior Member Top Contributor Member HarpsichordConcerto's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I watched James Cameron's Avatar on Blu-Ray. It was amazing. I was told the original 3D in the cinemas was quite something. I'm not a big science-fiction fan but I thought Avatar was visually amazing based on a simple plot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lemmon was a wonderful actor. His performance in Days of wine and roses is unbelivable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Third most favourite film:
    This is so great and SO underwatched! It is a pitty Beineix never did such a fine movie again. :/

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Avatar was just like a visit to the aquarium. Beautiful images, no worthy plot.
    Darn, I have a 3DTV and with it came a voucher for a free 3D blu-ray of Avatar, and stupidly I threw away the box with the bar code that would give me right to the free gift.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

7. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Banned Top Contributor Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    It would be proper thread to boast that I myself am movie director, scriptwriter and animator. Och, and movie music composer. Summary of my output (so far) would be masterpiece called Pagan Forests: Superstition and Anxiety.

You may watch it on YouTube, though there are no english subtitles I think that the plot is so great that you don't even have to understand it in order to dig it's awesomeness:

Post Thanks / Like
    Couldn't sleep so decided to rewatch some Bette Davis. They always make me feel fine.

I love this. Paul Henreid's accent is damn sexy.
    And the Brazilian driver is something out of this world. A carioca called Giuseppe (!) that speaks a mix of Spanish, Italian and Portuguese.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's a Brazilian in Offenbach's La Vie Parisienne. Have you seen this operetta?
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Almaviva View Post
    There's a Brazilian in Offenbach's La Vie Parisienne. Have you seen this operetta?
    Not yet. Is he a carioca with an Italian name?

I could never like Mario Lanza. I don't know why but he's probably the reason I'm picky with tenors.
    Last edited by Festat; January 2nd, 2012 at 07:38 AM. Reason: always forget to quote the quote, urgh

Post Thanks / Like
    No, he's a character that shows up at the end, and is supposed to be a Brazilian business man, and he is called in the operetta just The Brazilian. In the production I saw, it was a bit of a caricature, all dressed in green/yellow/blue, holding guns, like a drug-dealer / gangster. Bad taste in my opinion. In the libretto he is a more subdued character but that production (from Lyon if I'm not mistaken) was kind of Regie.

Post Thanks / Like
    Haha, typical. (:

Today went for another Bette Davis movies, this time The old maid, which is the third in the 30's maternal melodrama triunviratum, with Imitation of life and Stella Dallas. I must say I find this to be the weakest of the three, but it is still a very fine movie. Miriam Hopkins and Bette had a strong, beautiful chemistry.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Festat View Post
    Today went for another Bette Davis movies, this time The old maid, which is the third in the 30's maternal melodrama triunviratum, with Imitation of life and Stella Dallas.
    You threw me for a minute there. I was only familiar with Imitation of Life as the 1959 Douglas Sirk film; didn't know it was a remake.

The learning never ends.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, Sirk refilmed two of Stahl's movies: Imitation of life and Magnificent obsession. They're much more weepy under Sirk, naturally.

Edit: Now, this is off topic, but I think it suits the thread. It's about capitalization of movie/book/whatever title in English. In Portuguese only the first letter is capitalized (and the proper nouns, of course), so we here write Imitation of life. Do you guys capitalize every word in English? It looks so odd for me. haha
    Last edited by Festat; January 2nd, 2012 at 09:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, we do, in all titles.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast