Page 4 of 92 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 LastLast

Thread: New and upcoming CDs, DVDs, and blu-rays

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member HarpsichordConcerto's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Johann Christian Bach (1735-1782), the youngest son of JS Bach and the only Bach to write operas. Friend of the Mozarts (father and son), extremely gifted composer of the early Classical galant idiom. You would think his music was early Mozart.

Amadis de Gaule (1779), May 2012, Glossa records.

Senior Member Involved Member Couchie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

There was some interest in the Harry Kupfer/Daniel Barenboim Parsifal back on TC, but it was only available on VHS. It has been released on DVD: http://www.amazon.com/Parsifal-Wagner/dp/B006ZV6YUI/

3. Likes Amfortas liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone know anything about this production?

Anita Rachvelishvili, Maite Alberola & Auxiliadora Toledano

Orquesta bandArt, Gordan Nikolić

Staged by La Fura dels Baus; recorded at the 25th Peralada Festival, Spain, 2011.
    Natalie

Schigolch
    I was not there, but I have some information from trusted friends that were attending one of the performances at Peralada last year.

The production itself was just common place for La Fura dels Baus, and Spain in 2011. Orfeo and Euridice are lesbian lovers, but after their wedding, one of them dies after being bited by a serpent, and her desconsolate spouse goes down to Hell to assure her dead partner of her tender feelings. The most annoying thing was to take some musicians to play running across the stage... Well, it has to happen sooner or later. What's funny is that the stage director was boasting of moving the orchesta out of the pit, and comparing himself to Glück's as an innovator of Opera.... Ignoring this was standard practice until well into the 19th century, or the many operas requiring stage bands. Well, so much for the operatic erudition of some Spanish stage directors...

This is the information I got on the production. Don't know if you are also interested in the music and the singing, but according to my sources, they were dismal (again, not my own opinion, here. This sounds a little strange to me, because I'm familiar with Ms. Alberola's and Ms. Toledano's singing, and is not that bad, at least usually).

6. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Following in the footsteps of Pavarotti we have just released Bocelli live in Central park!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Schigolch View Post
    This is the information I got on the production. Don't know if you are also interested in the music and the singing, but according to my sources, they were dismal (again, not my own opinion, here. This sounds a little strange to me, because I'm familiar with Ms. Alberola's and Ms. Toledano's singing, and is not that bad, at least usually).
    Thanks Schigolch. You've saved my wallet. Poor musicians, playing on stage is fine but how can you get beautiful tone while running! And this is Gluck, who wrote some of the most purely beautiful music existent.

Don't get the impression I am not interested in the singing and music, these are always crucial to me, although my tastes are not as refined as yours!
    Natalie

Schigolch
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    playing on stage is fine but how can you get beautiful tone while running!
    This is a good question....

It's very difficult to produce a sound from a violin as beautiful as, let's say, David Oistrakh's, while dancing the Conga. However, to produce a beautiful and tuned operatic voice is as hard as to play the violin like Oistrakh, and we pretend that the singers will sing and dance the Conga...

10. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's exactly why I dismiss the complaints that Anna Netrebko didn't sing Traviata well in the Willy Decker production - they made the poor woman run around, sing upside down (literaly) and all.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Schigolch
    Exactly...

Opera singers those days are requested, sometimes, for just *too* much. To sing the very difficult first act for Violetta, while performing gymnastics, is a recipe for disaster. Even if a gifted singer like Netrebko can hold its own, this is far from ideal.

13. Likes Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Angel View Post

Yankee Diva Joyce Di Donato new release just showed up at Amazon USA with May 22 release date
    90% of the time any production with Joyce = buy
    Since Alma did not like this I did extra sample viewing time on you tube.......I still think I will make this purchase very soon

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HarpsichordConcerto View Post
    L'incoronazione di Poppea by Monteverdi.

To buy or not to buy? Yet another version to add to the collection.

Miah Persson (Poppea), Sarah Connolly (Nerone), Jordi Domènech (Ottone) & Franz-Josef Selig (Seneca) Opus Arte.

I will be making this purchase as a blu ray May 29 USA release......

It will be sharing shelf space with the new William Christie/Pizzi Poppea ("danny" de Niese & Phillipe Jaroussky)

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Angel View Post
    Since Alma did not like this I did extra sample viewing time on you tube.......I still think I will make this purchase very soon
    Well, it does have redeeming qualities; such as Joyce's singing. I think what I disliked most was the stage direction.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Schigolch

Post Thanks / Like
    The rats are coming.. I fear I will not be able to resist because of the presence of Klaus Florian Vogt.

Good news that there is a DVD of La vida breve in the pipeline

Natalie

Schigolch

Just arrived today.