Page 7 of 92 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 LastLast

Thread: New and upcoming CDs, DVDs, and blu-rays

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    A new DG from DG

Looks fun apart from the dreaded Mojca Erdmann.
    Natalie

Member Member
    Post Thanks / Like

This Lulu is kind of cool!

Martin

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by myaskovsky2002 View Post

This Lulu is kind of cool!

Martin
    This thread is for new and upcoming CDs, DVDs, and blu-rays. Do you know when will this be released?
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Schigolch
    A tribute from DG to Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau:

Schigolch

6. Likes Aksel liked this post
    Senior Member Veteran Member Aksel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    A new DG from DG

8. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), Festat liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member HarpsichordConcerto's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not exactly sure what the following recording is. Entitled L'Olimpiade - the Opera of the Olympics, sounds like a marketing thing to attract sales but it includes 16 arias by various (mainly Baroque) composers as "world premiere recordings". I think it's an aria album (2 CDs) but based on a common libretto with arias by all the following composers. So it is a pasticcio but by whom? I don't know.

Libretto by Pietro Metastasio (1698-1782). Arias by Leo, Hasse, Galuppi, Sarti, Myslivecek, Paisiello, Pérez, Vivaldi, Gassmann, Caldara, Traetta, Jommelli, Cherubini, Pergolesi, Piccinni, Jommelli, Cimarosa, including 16 arias in world premiere recording.

Senior Member Veteran Member Aksel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HarpsichordConcerto View Post
    I'm not exactly sure what the following recording is. Entitled L'Olimpiade - the Opera of the Olympics, sounds like a marketing thing to attract sales but it includes 16 arias by various (mainly Baroque) composers as "world premiere recordings". I think it's an aria album (2 CDs) but based on a common libretto with arias by all the following composers. So it is a pasticcio but by whom? I don't know.

Libretto by Pietro Metastasio (1698-1782). Arias by Leo, Hasse, Galuppi, Sarti, Myslivecek, Paisiello, Pérez, Vivaldi, Gassmann, Caldara, Traetta, Jommelli, Cherubini, Pergolesi, Piccinni, Jommelli, Cimarosa, including 16 arias in world premiere recording.

From what I've read, it's a sort of a combined pasticcio and recital disc. They've recorded all 32 arias from L'Olimpiade, but they've chosen settings by 16 different composers. So in a way you have the full opera (without recitatives, so it makes no dramatic sense, and so the pasticcio designation is somewhat dubious), with the arias written by 16 different composers.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll think you're right, Aksel. What the hell, I'll get it anyway at some stage!

Senior Member Involved Member Nekrotzar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Angel View Post

This Don G cover caught my eye, what do you think ladies?
    June 26 USA release
    I'm glad I didn't go to that performance. Heard a radio broadcast last year and thought it was alright.
    If you would seek salvation, remember this:
    a life in Hell can still aspire to BLISS.

Schigolch
    I've just listened to L'Olimpiade's pasticcio a few days ago. The Metastasio libretto, about some love stories of two couples that got settled in Olympia, was set in music many times (the first one in 1733, by Caldara). The idea was to use two castrati for the male lovers, two sopranos for the female lovers, a tenor in the role of King Cleisthenes, and the tutor Amyntas is usually a trouser role.

You can easily find also versions by Vivaldi, Cimarosa or Galuppi.

So, yes, the idea was to record a pasticcio with the arias in the versions of different composers, and without recitatives. The result is, as could be expected, rather uneven. Personally I found the most interesting and well performed pieces Vivaldi's "Mentre dormi" (Licida, sung by Franziska Gottwald) and Piccinni's "Caro, son tua cosě" (Aristea, sung by Ruth Rosique).

Nice, but only nice.

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HarpsichordConcerto View Post

Not sure why anyone would buy this version when we have an excellent version already in Naive catalog?

The recitavo and unfortuantely choral sections have all been removed.....also the full version has better overall singers and orchestra conducted by Alessandrini, just listened to this again a couple weeks ago very nice. The edited new version does fit on 2 CD making it cheaper, guess this is just a London Olympics marketing creation.....

Looking more closely looks like there are a handful of aria changes for new version, but mostly duplicates
    arias on older (and better) Naive version

Schigolch
    But one thing is Vivaldi's L'Olimpiade, and another the pasticcio with arias coming from L'Olimpiade of different composers, including Vivaldi.

Schigolch

Post Thanks / Like
    A Telemann opera. There are not many Telemann operas available, so this should be a welcoming addition.

Flavius Bertaridus, König der Langobarden (1729)