Thread: News

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hoffmann and I are both traveling to Toronto this weekend to see the Canadian premiere of Written on Skin, conducted by George Benjamin himself, and with OL interviewees and role creators Barbara Hannigan and Christopher Purves. I look forward to it; the TSO music store will be selling our guidebook, and we're supposed to meet the artists in person (I've met George already but not Barbara and Chris whose interviews were conducted over the phone).

We only have a couple of members who are from Canada, but hopefully there are more silent lurkers/readers who are from there too, and shouldn't miss this show. This is, of course, in my opinion, the best contemporary opera among them all (which is why we picked it for our guidebook series), and it is simply sublime. Barbara Hannigan is, no doubt, one of the best sopranos in the world.

Tickets [here]
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

2. Likes Floria, MAuer, Hoffmann, Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wednesday, May 6
    Opera Conference 2015 | Washington, D.C.

conference.operaamerica.org

Dear Colleagues,

We as a field have an important opportunity to advocate for our causes and to effect change on Capitol Hill during Opera Conference 2015, being held in Washington, D.C. from May 6–9. Opera Advocacy Day takes place on May 6, and I urge you to attend and represent yourself, your organization and our field.

The morning of Opera Advocacy Day begins in the Rayburn House Office Building, where participants will hear from nonprofit arts advocates and congressional leaders about the issues that impact our field. Additionally, you will receive advocacy training and have an opportunity to practice talking points. In the afternoon, you will join your colleagues for congressional appointments. There, you will share your stories and inform lawmakers on how opera makes communities healthier and supports economic development.

Here are just some of the legislative issues that impact our field:
    • Support for the National Endowment for the Arts
    • Funding for arts in education at the U.S. Department of Education and reauthorization of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act
    • Charitable giving incentives including the charitable deduction and the IRA charitable rollover
    • Speedy processing of visas for foreign guest artists
    • International cultural exchange
    • Supporting users of wireless microphones in the performing arts

OPERA America’s director of government affairs, Brandon Gryde, shares additional Opera Advocacy Day information in this video.

The cost of this event is included in the full conference registration fee, but you must sign up for Opera Advocacy Day by April 10 so we can arrange meetings with your senators and representatives. Once you have registered for the conference, simply add Opera Advocacy Day to your personal schedule to sign up. Note that a box lunch is available for purchase for $22.

Please join us for Opera Advocacy Day on May 6 and help build the case for opera.

Sincerely,

Marc A. Scorca
    President/CEO
    Opera America

P.S. Tuesday, March 17 is the last day to take advantage of Early-Bird pricing for Opera Conference 2015 ($545 for members | $645 for non-members). Also through March 17, member organizations can save an additional $50 off each registration when bringing a team of three or more. Register today at conference.operaamerica.org.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I received a solicitation from the Metropolitan Opera Guild which noted that next year the Met will produce Donizetti's Three Queen Trilogy (Anna Bolena, Maria Stuarda and Roberto Devereaux, the last a new production) all starring Sondra Radvanovsky. Is that yummy or what??

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGerald View Post
    I received a solicitation from the Metropolitan Opera Guild which noted that next year the Met will produce Donizetti's Three Queen Trilogy (Anna Bolena, Maria Stuarda and Roberto Devereaux, the last a new production) all starring Sondra Radvanovsky. Is that yummy or what??
    Their full season has been announced already and I don't find it particularly yummy - too many Puccinis, too many warhorses, no contemporary opera.

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately, in the aftermath of the plane crash this morning in the French Alps,

the world lost two opera singers, contralto Maria Radner and bass baritone Oleg Bryjak, were on the plane, Barcleona's Gran Teatre del Liceu opera house said in a statement. Radner's husband and baby were also on board, The Associated Press reported. Both singers recently performed in Siegfried at the Gran Teatre, the opera house said.

I don't know the singers who perished, but send condolences to the families and colleagues for all those lost in this morning's crash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Amen. Hoffman. RIP.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Such a sad situation for all involved. But thank you for the information, Hoffmann.

Post Thanks / Like
    Two Philip Glass events this week in Greensboro, NC.

First, the man himself will be giving a piano/violin concert with violinist Timothy Fain at the Aycock Auditorium at 8 PM on Tuesday April 14. I'll attend and review the show. Tickets at upas.uncg.edu or by phone at 336-272-0160.

Second, his opera Galileo Galilei will be shown in a student production by the UNC-Greensboro School of Music, Theater, and Dance, also at the Aycock Auditorium on April 16 at 7:30 PM, 17 at 7:30 PM, and 19 at 2 PM. Tickets [here]. I'll attend and review the Friday show.

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    So, there I was, sitting and watching my favorite morning political talk show ("Morning Joe"..) this morning, whose panel included David Ignatius, a columnist for the "Washington Post" who specializes in international issues and also is a well-regarded novelist.

Next thing I know, rather than a spirited discussion on hot issues of the day, the hosts introduce composer Mohammed Fairouz and tell the audience that he's writing a new opera, with the Post's Ignatius as his chosen librettist. A short discussion followed, including that Mr. Ignatius is a big opera fan. Mr. Fairouz' opera is based upon Machiavelli and titled The New Prince, and will premiere at the Dutch National Opera in Amsterdam in 2017.

I am both impressed and intrigued. Of course, I don't know how good of a composer Mohammed Fairouz is, but opera on Morning Joe is a first.

I know there is a thread for contemporary opera around here someplace, but somehow blanked out on where it is...

Post Thanks / Like
    I just heard that tenor Nicolai Gedda has passed.

12. Thanks Floria thanked for this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. Here is one of his best:

Natalie

14. Thanks Floria thanked for this post
    Likes MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very sad news. Gedda was singing a diverse repertoire (Italian, French, German, Russian) long before Domingo and Kaufmann. (In fact, he was one of Kaufmann's early role models.)

16. Likes Soave_Fanciulla, Hoffmann, Floria liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    Wow. I believe the term is, "greatly exaggerated."

19. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    How queer!