Thread: News

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just picked this up on another discussion site: Dimitri Hvorostovsky has cancelled all appearances until August, citing health issues related to a brain tumor. I checked his website which validates this very sad news. God bless him and his family.

2. Thanks Floria thanked for this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGerald View Post
    I just picked this up on another discussion site: Dimitri Hvorostovsky has cancelled all appearances until August, citing health issues related to a brain tumor. I checked his website which validates this very sad news. God bless him and his family.
    Oh my God, this is bad! I hope at least it is a benign one and it gets removed.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh no! That is very bad news! Wishing him all the best!
    Natalie

5. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's awful! I hope it's something he and his doctors can fight their way through.

7. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is terrible. I hope he's receiving the best medical care possible.

9. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Violent rape in new production of Guillaume Tell is booed mid-scene. Apparently one person shouted "One ****ing step too far* and others joined in, drowning the music. Lots of very negative reviews and pleased I didn't get tickets.

Mark Ronan

Bachtrack

A very personal view from a singer
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

11. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was looking to get tickets for that opera as well and after reading this, I am also glad I did not.

Where's my traditional staging comeback that I forecasted?

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    I was looking to get tickets for that opera as well and after reading this, I am also glad I did not.

Where's my traditional staging comeback that I forecasted?
    I know! Booing mid scene is terrible and insulting to the singers but maybe this is the only way these directors will realise that we don't want to see stuff like this.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

14. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    I know! Booing mid scene is terrible and insulting to the singers but maybe this is the only way these directors will realise that we don't want to see stuff like this.
    The staging done in the DVD from Pesaro manages to convey something about the oppressive behaviour of occupying soldiers without going as far as this. A problem with the ROH production was I think that the music and the action were at loggerheads with each other at the time.

In contrast, there is a rather distressing rape scene in a DVD of Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk, but that is integral to the plot and the music.

Continuing to heckle, and especially heckling the singers, is appalling manners and rude both to the performers (it's the director who is the blame) and the audience (I'd pay good money to hear Finley and Osborn and I'd damn well want to hear them without some boor having a tantrum in my ear).
    Natalie

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    ...I'd pay good money to hear Finley...
    I think hearing Finley sing live is number one on my target list

17. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    So violence and oppression can't be conveyed by leaving this opera in its original timeframe? What on earth do these stage directors who must update and otherwise tinker with the work think Gesler forcing Tell to shoot that blasted apple on his son's head is? Or his soldiers roughing up Melchtal when the old man cautions the other Swiss not to reveal who helped the fleeing man escape? Or that man describing how he stopped Austrian soldiers from raping his daughter? Or the soldiers who force some of the Swiss women to dance with them during that ballet sequence in the third act?
    I certainly don't approve of booing in the middle of a performance, which is rude to both the cast members and other audience members, and feel Catharine Rogers took a far more sensible approach in writing to the opera house. But, as Annie observed, maybe these directors (and the house managements that hire them) will finally realize that audiences have had enough of this sort of thing.

19. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Operalia had winners completely unknown to me. Soave will like to know (if she doesn't already) that a New Zealander won one of the prizes.

[clicky]
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

21. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    Violent rape in new production of Guillaume Tell is booed mid-scene. Apparently one person shouted "One ****ing step too far* and others joined in, drowning the music. Lots of very negative reviews and pleased I didn't get tickets.

Mark Ronan

Bachtrack

A very personal view from a singer

Too bad I missed this post back in June (and after), when I was out of town. Someone at bridge last week asked me what the uproar associated with the Guillaume Tell production in London was all about, and I had no clue what they were talking about. Which, of course raised all kinds of heckling regarding what kind of opera fan I possibly could be. Jeez.

23. Likes MAuer, Clayton, Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Which, of course raised all kinds of heckling regarding what kind of opera fan I possibly could be. Jeez.
    Basically, if it can't be enjoyed during a 12 mile walk, it doesn't really count...
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Aargh, more bad news for baritones:

Johannes Martin Kränzle diagnosed with bone-marrow cancer.

I'll never forget his performance in this DVD of Theodora. Absolutely the slimiest baddest baddy out there. I hope his stem-cell transplant works and he gets better soon.

Natalie

26. Likes Hoffmann, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post