Thread: News

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, my God. What a horrible year it's been for singers, with Hvorostovsky and now Kränzle diagnosed with life-threatening illnesses, and the loss of the two singers in the Germanwings crash. I hope that at least the medical treatments for the two baritones are successful, and that at some point, things start looking up for them again.

2. Likes Amfortas, Hoffmann, Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is pretty major for our partners NC Opera: they have joined the co-production consort for Cold Mountain and will stage the opera in North Carolina after two of the other three producing companies - Santa Fe and Philadelphia - stage it, and before Minnesota Opera does it. Congratulations, NC Opera!! I'm very excited about it since I look forward to this opera with interest but was unable to go see it in Santa Fe (where it premiers on August 1st).

Here is the Press Release:

PRESS RELEASE: NC OPERA COLLABORATES ON NEW OPERA COMMISSION

RALEIGH, N.C. – North Carolina Opera has joined the consortium co-commissioning and co-producing the new opera COLD MOUNTAIN, with music by Pulitzer Prize winning composer Jennifer Higdon and libretto by the renowned Gene Scheer. Based on Charles Frazier’s wildly successful 1997 novel COLD MOUNTAIN (which sold over four million copies and won the National Book Award for fiction) this North Carolina story tells of the long journey homeward of Confederate soldier Inman to his love, Ada. COLD MOUNTAIN is a co-production of The Santa Fe Opera and Opera Philadelphia and Minnesota Opera in collaboration with North Carolina Opera.

Santa Fe Opera will present the world premiere of COLD MOUNTAIN on August 1, 2015, followed by Opera Philadelphia in February 2016. North Carolina Opera plans to present the new opera as part of the 2017-2018 season, followed by Minnesota Opera in their 2018-2019 season.

“As a continuation of the rising artistic standard and broadening scope of the first five seasons of North Carolina Opera, it is thrilling to announce our involvement with COLD MOUNTAIN,” says North Carolina Opera Artistic Director & Principal Conductor Timothy Myers. “For our first outing as a co-commissioner of a major American opera we are thrilled to partner in producing this epic story by Charles Frazier, so vividly brought to life in operatic form by Jennifer Higdon and Gene Scheer. This piece has deeply ingrained historical and cultural connections to North Carolina that will invigorate our core audience, while inspiring our state-wide community.”

North Carolina Opera General Director Eric Mitchko adds “This is a tremendously exciting new piece, one that will have a special significance for North Carolina audiences. We have already seen great enthusiasm for a local production of this opera. NCO is very happy to be partnering with such important theaters as Santa Fe Opera, Opera Philadelphia, and Minnesota Opera.”

C. Thomas Kunz, the President of the Board of Directors of North Carolina Opera also stated "Co-commissioning and co-producing this important work is indicative of how the team of Timothy Myers and Eric Mitchko is bringing artistically and creatively superior operatic works to our audiences in the Triangle."

The production will be directed by Leonard Foglia, with set design by Robert Brill, costume design by David C. Woolard, Lighting Design by Brian Nason, and Video Projection Design by Elaine McCarthy.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

4. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), Nekrotzar liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    On the very day that he celebrates his 56th birthday, Simon Keenlyside has confirmed that he'll sing Macbeth with ROH on tour in Japan next month.

And he will also sing Fagin in Oliver at Grange Park Opera next June/July.

Happy Birthday Simon!
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

6. Likes MAuer, Clayton liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    On the very day that he celebrates his 56th birthday, Simon Keenlyside has confirmed that he'll sing Macbeth with ROH on tour in Japan next month.

And he will also sing Fagin in Oliver at Grange Park Opera next June/July.

Happy Birthday Simon!
    Aah good, that must mean he is better.
    Natalie

8. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Recording Aida in Rome

"The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

10. Likes MAuer, Clayton, Adrian liked this post
    Senior Member Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    Recording Aida in Rome

Makes my day, I thought is was going to be a live recording.....so one Aida (more) can't hurt

12. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), Clayton liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Assuming the recording industry follows the usual practice of issuing new recordings in Europe several weeks or months before they are available in North America, I'm ordering this Aida from Presto Classical the moment it's in stock.

14. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Senior Member Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    Assuming the recording industry follows the usual practice of issuing new recordings in Europe several weeks or months before they are available in North America, I'm ordering this Aida from Presto Classical the moment it's in stock.

They just listed it Mauer, it's special price.
    (They have a huge opera sale)

16. Thanks MAuer, Soave_Fanciulla thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going to pre-order!

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, the reviews for Cold Mountain are great! It looks like we got another outstanding contemporary opera! I'm glad that it is coming to North Carolina. Our buddies Jay Hunter Morris and Isabel Leonard got great reviews as well. Big, big success. Sold out to a degree that Santa Fe Opera had to schedule an additional performance.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

19. Likes MAuer, Clayton, Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Senior Member Involved Member Nekrotzar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Wow, the reviews for Cold Mountain are great! It looks like we got another outstanding contemporary opera! I'm glad that it is coming to North Carolina. Our buddies Jay Hunter Morris and Isabel Leonard got great reviews as well. Big, big success. Sold out to a degree that Santa Fe Opera had to schedule an additional performance.
    This is by Higdon isn't it? Normally I'm not a big fan of her music....but as usual I will have to listen to it to make up my mind about it.
    If you would seek salvation, remember this:
    a life in Hell can still aspire to BLISS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nekrotzar View Post
    This is by Higdon isn't it? Normally I'm not a big fan of her music....but as usual I will have to listen to it to make up my mind about it.
    Reviewers praised the music as well. It's being recorded on CD, so, we'll see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Most extraordinary - and moving - Gute nacht ever: clicky
    Natalie

23. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Amazing! What a brave man. And from as much of the Dutch as I could kind of figure out, I think he's going to be able to resume his singing career after he heals from the surgery.

25. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    Amazing! What a brave man. And from as much of the Dutch as I could kind of figure out, I think he's going to be able to resume his singing career after he heals from the surgery.
    It was a year ago and apparently he is doing fine.
    Natalie

27. Likes MAuer liked this post