Thread: News

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Festat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Apparently Google just launched an opera section on Google Cultural Institute. A lot of partners, from the Met to my very own Theatro Municipal de São Paulo.

Unfortunately, though, it doesn't seem to host any complete opera recordings. :/

2. Likes MAuer, Clayton, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kasper Holten is leaving Royal Opera House.

... But when I moved to London, my partner and I didn’t have children. Now we do, and after much soul searching we have decided that we want to be closer to our families and inevitably that means we make Copenhagen our home where the children will grow up and go to school...

There are some very cynical people out there suggesting all sorts of 'get Kasper out' conspiracies but there's more to life than opera and I believe his reasons. The education system in this country isn't good and I don't blame him for wanting something better.

I didn't like all his productions but he was approachable and down-to-earth and I'll miss him. This was taken 01 July 2013 after Les Troyens rehearsal.

Name:  KH 01.07.13.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  50.2 KB
    Last edited by Ann Lander (sospiro); December 9th, 2015 at 12:33 PM.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can't really blame him. London is fabulous for the child-free, but I wouldn't want to bring up kids there.
    Natalie

5. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mattiwilda Dobbs (1925 - 2015) died 8 December at the age of 90. I am only really familiar with her name and reputation. It wasn't until I read her obituary in the Washington Post that I knew she was African-American. She lived here in Washington, DC where she was a professor at Howard University until 2012.

When I was downstairs a little earlier to pick up my mail, I saw the obituary posted at the front desk. As it turns out, Ms. Dobbs was a resident of my building for some 26 years before moving to Atlanta. I moved into the building a year ago.

Here is Mattiwilda Dobbs singing "Caro Nome"

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Mattiwilda Dobbs (1925 - 2015) died 8 December at the age of 90. I am only really familiar with her name and reputation. It wasn't until I read her obituary in the Washington Post that I knew she was African-American. She lived here in Washington, DC where she was a professor at Howard University until 2012.

When I was downstairs a little earlier to pick up my mail, I saw the obituary posted at the front desk. As it turns out, Ms. Dobbs was a resident of my building for some 26 years before moving to Atlanta. I moved into the building a year ago.

Here is Mattiwilda Dobbs singing "Caro Nome"

I think this is beautiful. I'm not very knowledgeable about women singers but I love this. You never know who's living upstairs!
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

8. Likes Hoffmann, MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    NY Times interview with Juan Diego Flórez.

I find it fascinating how voices change and how singers develop their repertoire and must try and see his Edgardo when it comes to ROH.
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

10. Thanks Clayton thanked for this post
    Likes Hoffmann, MAuer, Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Montserrat Caballé has been convicted of tax fraud, but won't have to serve any jail time:

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-35100840

12. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    NY Times interview with Juan Diego Flórez.

I find it fascinating how voices change and how singers develop their repertoire and must try and see his Edgardo when it comes to ROH.

It will be interesting to see what happens next with his career. We (well, those of us who love bel canto...) are lucky to have heard him sing one or more of these roles on stage and to have some wonderful recordings of his of Rossini operas.

His Edgardo should be terrific, but I particularly will be interested to see if he does, indeed, tackle Guillaume Tell.

Post Thanks / Like
    It will be interesting to see what happens next with his career. We (well, those of us who love bel canto...) are lucky to have heard him sing one or more of these roles on stage and to have some wonderful recordings of his of Rossini operas.

His Edgardo should be terrific, but I particularly will be interested to see if he does, indeed, tackle Guillaume Tell.
    We bel canto fans have been so lucky to have had him singing all these wonderful roles and he'll be a hard act to follow.

I saw him live in La fille du régiment at ROH (and with Natalie Dessay) but the boring old stuffed shirts wouldn't allow an encore of 'Ah! Mes amis'. The applause and cheering went on for absolutely ages and I thought for a moment he would do an encore. He was watching the conductor (Bruno Campanella) expectantly but presumably Campanella had his instructions and indicated to the orchestra to continue.
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

15. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like

He has done Guillaume Tell, Hoffman. A Blu ray of the performance at the ROF was issued a couple of months ago, and, staging aside, it is uniformly well sung.

17. Thanks Hoffmann thanked for this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Natalie

19. Thanks Hoffmann thanked for this post
    Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's what I get for listening to CDs and ignoring the world of DVDs! I will look for this and make an exception to my routine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Andrea Chénier on BBC4 tonight at 19:30 18 December 2015.

UK only.
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

22. Thanks Clayton thanked for this post
    Likes Festat liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that Andrea Chenier will eventually be released in DVD format . . .

Senior Member Veteran Member Povero Buoso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    Andrea Chénier on BBC4 tonight at 19:30 18 December 2015.

UK only.
    Cheers for the heads up now I know what to watch with dinner! Need watch Cavalleria Rusticana before this though then I think I can say I've covered most of the popular verismo works (I like verismo!).
    "Non sono in vena" Rodolfo summing up P.B's feelings on his dissertation.

25. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post