Thread: News

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Povero Buoso View Post
    D'oh I meant Luiz's point not the Economist. To be honest my first thought when they pointed Pavarotti out in the article was Marcello Alvarez gets lots of work even though he is also not a conventional looker and not nearly as good a singer as Pavarotti ( Marcello's acting might be a tad better)
    I'm not even sure if Marcello's acting is any better. Not my favorite artist - not in voice and not in acting.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

2. Likes Povero Buoso liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    I'm not even sure if Marcello's acting is any better. Not my favorite artist - not in voice and not in acting.
    Usually I'd agree but he was really good in the Met Cav recently.
    Natalie

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    A small one that is turning the corner is the Bari one.
    A later "Newsweek" article from 2014 indicated that the Petruzzelli Opera House in Bari, Italy had closed.

http://www.newsweek.com/2014/08/22/l...se-263569.html

An additional search provides no information regarding the Petruzzelli's financial situation but, according to Wikipedia, it only cancelled its October and November schedules for 2014.

Currently, Petruzzelli is showing a rather full season for 2016, albeit only 3.5 operas (the Merry Widow counts as the .5)

https://selectitaly.com/tickets/thea...petruzzelli/59

On another subject, here is the "Sunday Express" review on ENO's Norma:

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainme...s-where-to-buy

I have to plead ignorance regarding the reputation of the "Sunday Express". The review itself starts with this little gem: "Bellini's Norma has never truly established itself as part of the repertoire in opera houses". If it isn't performed all that often, it's probably only because there aren't many sopranos around capable of handling the role, not because it's only a 3 star opera (see below). Geez.

The review seems fair until you get to the last sentence that says this Norma was a "3 star performance of a 2 star production of a 3 star opera".

Norma a 3 star opera??? Seriously??? Btw, Norma registers as #8 on OL's list of Most Recommended/Favorite Operas. There might be some truth that Norma is a little static dramatically, but who cares?

My sense that "Sunday Express" might be a little sketchy is attributed to the side links to articles with warning labels like: "GRAPHIC CONTENT WARNING: Dr. Scrapes back infected toenail with a scalpel to find THIS" and "GRAPHIC CONTENT: Are there maggots in his mouth? Dental footage..." There's more, but you get the idea.

5. Likes MAuer, Clayton liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Norma a 3-star opera, LOL.

Definitely a 5+ out of 5, with widespread consensus on this, and yes, it's not performed that often because there aren't many sopranos capable of handling the title role. It contains in my opinion the most beautiful aria for the soprano voice, of all time. Yep, Casta Diva is my very favorite soprano aria.

Just this absurd and clueless statement would completely invalidate any review by this idiotic journalist; I don't even feel motivated to click on the review. How can someone pretend to write about opera without knowing the place held by Norma in the repertory???

The Bari season: maybe there are more; this ticket list only goes until December, so maybe they are staging more operas in the first semester of 2017.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

7. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't know the Sunday Express still existed!

...Overall, this was four-star performance of a two-star production of a three-star opera...
    eh? too many stars in that statement

9. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    In the words of the immortals ...

Now for something completely different!

A new biopic - a must see - about to hit the silver screen, starring none other than the fabulous Meryl Streep:

http://www.musicaltoronto.org/2016/0...offee-break-8/

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    I have to plead ignorance regarding the reputation of the "Sunday Express".
    I would take anything you read in the Sunday Express with a huge dose of salt and scepticism.

Not quite the 'Elvis is alive and living on the Moon' type of story but not far off.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

12. Likes MAuer, Hoffmann, Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Senior Member Veteran Member Povero Buoso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm the first to admit Bel Canto is not my go to but calling norma a 3 star opera is incredibly insulting to say it is not in the standard repertory is just plain wrong. It's top 50 according to opera-base between Siegfreid and Pique Dame one of which is the a ring cycle opera (which is a massive investment) and the other is the second most important Tchaikovsky opera. When Buzzfeed articles on how much you know opera have a better idea of whats being listened too you know you have a poor review on your hands.
    "Non sono in vena" Rodolfo summing up P.B's feelings on his dissertation.

14. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
    Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like

A new biopic - a must see - about to hit the silver screen, starring none other than the fabulous Meryl Streep:

A movie about FLORENCE FOSTER JENKINS???????????????

I wonder who plays her pianist, Cosmo McMoon?

Years ago, I had an LP of Jenkins that I played as a joke for folks who were stated operaphobics. My son's dog can howl better than she could sing. Find something of hers online if you doubt me.

But be warned: it ain't pleasant, especially that Queen of the Night bit ...

PS. I checked Amazon. That LP has been released on CD, still titled "The Glory ??? of the Human Voice". For the sake of your sanity, DO NOT download so much as a single selection.

16. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGerald View Post
    A movie about FLORENCE FOSTER JENKINS???????????????

I wonder who plays her pianist, Cosmo McMoon?

Years ago, I had an LP of Jenkins that I played as a joke for folks who were stated operaphobics. My son's dog can howl better than she could sing. Find something of hers online if you doubt me.

But be warned: it ain't pleasant, especially that Queen of the Night bit ...

PS. I checked Amazon. That LP has been released on CD, still titled "The Glory ??? of the Human Voice". For the sake of your sanity, DO NOT download so much as a single selection.

I know. Can you imagine?

Should at least be fun with Streep.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh dear! I bet it will be lots of fun for people like us, but for the uninitiated who already think that Bocelli is an opera singer, I'm afraid they'll assume that Jenkins was also one, further fostering stereotypical views of our art form. I hope the film keeps some historical accuracy and doesn't try to twist things and depict her under a more favorable musical light, as if the terrible reviews of her late life concert at Carnegie Hall were somehow unfair rather than entirely accurate.

For me, the fact that she seemed completely oblivious regarding her terrible voice and lack of rhythm and tone, is likely to be a feature of her neurosyphilis, which can course with bouts of grandiose delusions.
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); February 22nd, 2016 at 12:07 AM.

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh dear! I bet it will be lots of fun for people like us, but for the uninitiated who already think that Bocelli is an opera singer, I'm afraid they'll assume that Jenkins was also one,...
    Hopefully they will look her up on Wikipedia which starts out like this,
    Florence Foster Jenkins (July 19, 1868 – November 26, 1944) was an American socialite and amateur operatic soprano who was known and ridiculed for her lack of rhythm, pitch, and tone; her aberrant pronunciation; and her generally poor singing ability.
    Necessities of life: food, water, air, shelter, and opera.

20. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh dear! I bet it will be lots of fun for people like us, but for the uninitiated who already think that Bocelli is an opera singer, I'm afraid they'll assume that Jenkins was also one, further fostering stereotypical views of our art form. I hope the film keeps some historical accuracy and doesn't try to twist things and depict her under a more favorable musical light, as if the terrible reviews of her late life concert at Carnegie Hall were somehow unfair rather than entirely accurate.

For me, the fact that she seemed completely oblivious regarding her terrible voice and lack of rhythm and tone, is likely to be a feature of her neurosyphilis, which can course with bouts of grandiose delusions.
    Oh dear, indeed! I didn't think about that. I only know of FFJ by reputation, but haven't ever heard her sing. I'm not sure I want to. I think I'll wait until the movie.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Florence Foster Jenkins (July 19, 1868 November 26, 1944) was an American socialite and amateur operatic soprano who was known and ridiculed for her lack of rhythm, pitch, and tone; her aberrant pronunciation; and her generally poor singing ability.
    Ya learn something new every day. At first I thought we were talking about *Katherine* Jenkins--to whom many of the same descriptions apply. Maybe a great-great-granddaughter?

Imagine Meryl Streep playing *her*. Now that would be a transformation.

23. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post
    Ya learn something new every day. At first I thought we were talking about *Katherine* Jenkins--to whom many of the same descriptions apply. Maybe a great-great-granddaughter?

Imagine Meryl Streep playing *her*. Now that would be a transformation.
    Prosthetic boobs.
    Natalie

25. Likes Amfortas, Ann Lander (sospiro), MAuer liked this post