Thread: News

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Veteran Member Aksel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Trebs has cancelled her appearance at the Salzburg Whitsun Festival, leaving Mojca Erdman two days to learn a whole new piece. Also, Ceci is singing some Mozart.

Source

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Poor Anna. Some boo-boo. Entirely justified, of course. Unlike Draculette's cancellations.
    I'll forgive my Anna for anything.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

3. Likes operababe liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I'd paid for Trebs and got Erdman I'd be SEVERELY p'd off. If I remember rightly she put another nail in the Met Siegfried coffin by ruining the Forest Bird scene.
    Natalie

5. Likes operababe liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    If I'd paid for Trebs and got Erdman I'd be SEVERELY p'd off. If I remember rightly she put another nail in the Met Siegfried coffin by ruining the Forest Bird scene.
    Well, Erdman is cute.
    But you're right, Anna is not just cute. She's gorgeous!
    (and there's that voice too)
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

7. Likes operababe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a sneaking suspicion that a certain Russian soprano hasn't done her homework, but that just might be me.

Anyway, it's quite an achievement to learn an entirely new piece in just two days, and I wish Erdman the best of luck.
    And I've become somewhat concerned for the general well-being of Cecilia. Opening the festival with a Giulio Cesare, then singing a few Mozart arias the day after and then doing this huge concert with Cleopatra arias the day after. Can't be healthy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can't be! All her colleagues say she is very professional. I don't think she's ever looked unprepared. They say that unlike other stars (cough cough Draculette cough cough), she's always there rehearsing with the little people and not being difficult in any way.

Anyway, I don't want to take Oslo out of the surface of the planet with my small nuclear device, so I'm sure you'll take back any sneaking suspicions about my Anna!

Lately I've been a little more worried about collateral damage. After all, Oslo is a big city. It's for a good cause, but still, I'm sure there are several innocents in Oslo who love Anna. Oh wait, you're not in Oslo, are you? I guess I'll have to take out the entire country. I'll use one of my medium-sized nuclear devices.

10. Likes operababe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Almaviva View Post
    Can't be! All her colleagues say she is very professional. I don't think she's ever looked unprepared. They say that unlike other stars (cough cough Draculette cough cough), she's always there rehearsing with the little people and not being difficult in any way.

Anyway, I don't want to take Oslo out of the surface of the planet with my small nuclear device, so I'm sure you'll take back any sneaking suspicions about my Anna!

Lately I've been a little more worried about collateral damage. After all, Oslo is a big city. It's for a good cause, but still, I'm sure there are several innocents in Oslo who love Anna. Oh wait, you're not in Oslo, are you? I guess I'll have to take out the entire country. I'll use one of my medium-sized nuclear devices.
    I'm not in Oslo, no.
    And of course, she might be ill, although she has been cancelling rather a lot lately.
    But I still think she pulled out of the final performances of C&M in Munich to learn the score, and then found out she had too little time. It's not like it hasn't happened before.

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know it will never happen because it isn't economically feasible, but . . . I wish the U.S. could have a high-quality opera publication that is completely independent of the Met. Because Opera News is affiliated with the MOG, it has always been "Met-centric." Mr. Gelb's little faux pas is just a symptom of the problem. This is part of the reason ON is my least-favorite of the opera magazines to which I subscribe -- and why I do subscribe to three European publications. I don't want a cheerleader; I want a magazine that's going to keep me informed on what's happening with opera around the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    I know it will never happen because it isn't economically feasible, but . . . I wish the U.S. could have a high-quality opera publication that is completely independent of the Met. Because Opera News is affiliated with the MOG, it has always been "Met-centric." Mr. Gelb's little faux pas is just a symptom of the problem. This is part of the reason ON is my least-favorite of the opera magazines to which I subscribe -- and why I do subscribe to three European publications. I don't want a cheerleader; I want a magazine that's going to keep me informed on what's happening with opera around the world.
    Fortunately in a few years we'll have a good independent magazine called Opera Lively Magazine.

14. Likes MAuer, Aksel, Elektra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Regarding Mr. Gelb, on the other hand, some of the criticism directed at him in my opinion is misguided. I'm not talking about this move of trying to censor Opera News, I'm not in agreement with it. But I was reading in blogs widespread criticism of him for "not giving to the Met public what the public wants" which is supposedly the stuffy traditional stagings. Also, the same critic who bashed the Met Ring is the one who is against minimalistic stagings like Willy Decker's Traviata (which I find great) and complained that Mr. Gelb shouldn't be hiring singers like Dessay and Netrebko.

This is the kind of person who thinks that it is "cool" and proof of superior taste to put down Anna Netrebko due to her looks and iconic status. Well, Netrebko *is* an excellent singer, like our expert Schigolch acknowledges. Often miscast, but an excellent singer nevertheless.

And I *am* for modernization of the Met productions. I think that something like The Enchanted Island was a great success, and Mr. Gelb was pretty much the force behind it.

So, the man has his good sides too, and I don't approve of the blind, all-encompassing criticism.

But like I said, definitely, trying to censor a publication that issued unfavorable reviews is really a no-no; shame on Mr. Gelb.

16. Likes operababe liked this post
    Banned Top Contributor Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Almaviva View Post
    that Mr. Gelb shouldn't be hiring singers like Dessay and Netrebko.
    Why so mad, if she wouldn't get hired anywhere you could hire her yourself to Opera Lively Festival. Support those critics by all means.

18. Likes operababe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
    Why so mad, if she wouldn't get hired anywhere you could hire her yourself to Opera Lively Festival. Support those critics by all means.
    Darn, you are right!
    OK, Anna, come sing for me! The Opera Lively Festival will have just you and me!

Opera Lively's Journalist Involved Member Elektra's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); May 26th, 2012 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Your link was defective, it's been corrected

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Elektra View Post
    oh nooooooooooooooooooo

Jonas Kaufmann withdraws from Les Troyens

http://www.roh.org.uk/news/jonas-kau...om-les-troyens
    Oh too bad!!! They should refund us a percentage of our tickets!

We'll still have Anna Caterina Antonacci, though.
    It worries me too. Once one of the two major starts of the run drops out, the media attention will turn more to the other one, and our promised in-person interview with her might suffer, since we are still small players. Hope not.

Schigolch
    The replacement: