Thread: News

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post
    Ya learn something new every day. At first I thought we were talking about *Katherine* Jenkins--to whom many of the same descriptions apply. Maybe a great-great-granddaughter?
    Bocelli (mentioned earlier) and Katherine Jenkins both get labeled on Wikipedia as "classical-crossover singer." So that is a good category to stay away from.
    Necessities of life: food, water, air, shelter, and opera.

Senior Member Veteran Member Povero Buoso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    Bocelli (mentioned earlier) and Katherine Jenkins both get labeled on Wikipedia as "classical-crossover singer." So that is a good category to stay away from.
    Oh and definitely steer clear of those pop idol types.... Some of those "singers" are truly frightening whats even more frightening is when they start comparing some of them to people like Pavarotti.
    "Non sono in vena" Rodolfo summing up P.B's feelings on his dissertation.

3. Likes Florestan liked this post
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Povero Buoso View Post
    Oh and definitely steer clear of those pop idol types.... Some of those "singers" are truly frightening whats even more frightening is when they start comparing some of them to people like Pavarotti.

A safe rule, but there is at least one prominent exception. Rene Kollo got his start in pop music - he was a self taught drummer and his first recording was an LP of popular songs. Btw, Kollo will turn 80 next year.

5. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), Florestan liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Florence Foster Jenkins seems suddenly popular with filmmakers. Joyce Di Donato is portraying her in a documentary, for which filming began last month.
    http://joycedidonato.com/2016/01/06/...oster-jenkins/
    Joyce's "normal" voice is supposed to represent what FFJ is hearing in her mind, as opposed to what's actually coming out of her mouth.

Senior Member Veteran Member Povero Buoso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    A safe rule, but there is at least one prominent exception. Rene Kollo got his start in pop music - he was a self taught drummer and his first recording was an LP of popular songs. Btw, Kollo will turn 80 next year.
    Hmmm an exception that proves the rule. Some of these classical crossover stars probably could, with a lot of training, make the jump but are unlikely to ever try to do so when the money they make from sounding vaguely operatic completely dwarfs the amount they could potentially earn from being on the stage, after years of effort, doing the real thing.
    "Non sono in vena" Rodolfo summing up P.B's feelings on his dissertation.

8. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Everyone deserves a chance. Juan Diego Florez sang pop stuff to the accompaniment of his own guitar in his mother's bar as a teen.

The gifted Joyce DiDonato doing FF Jenkins is causing bad things to happen in my head! Perhaps a wee sip of vino will fix things.

10. Likes Povero Buoso liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think there was something about Renée Fleming starting as a jazz singer, no? I'm not sure but I heard something about it. And yes, JDF's story is true, he mentioned it to me in our interview.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGerald View Post
    Everyone deserves a chance. Juan Diego Florez sang pop stuff to the accompaniment of his own guitar in his mother's bar as a teen.
    And on stage

"The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    And on stage

I don't want to listen to this. I enjoyed him very much in La Sonnambula with Dessay and am afraid that if I listen to this it will ruin my impression of him.
    Necessities of life: food, water, air, shelter, and opera.

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The gifted Joyce DiDonato doing FF Jenkins is causing bad things to happen in my head! Perhaps a wee sip of vino will fix things.
    I think you're on to something, but it might need a little tweaking. While a 'wee sip of vino will fix things", in my experience where a little does good, a lot does better!

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    As a mezzo, JDD seems rather an odd choice to portray a woman who had delusions of being a coloratura soprano. Di Donato's occasional forays into the soprano rep notwithstanding, I can't imagine her singing the Queen of the Night. (But then again, most people couldn't imagine Foster Jenkins singing the Queen of the Night, either.)

16. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    ... (But then again, most people couldn't imagine Foster Jenkins singing the Queen of the Night, either.)
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    Look at this from the bright side: Alma will NEVER praise FFJ's (cough, cough) assets.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    I don't want to listen to this. I enjoyed him very much in La Sonnambula with Dessay and am afraid that if I listen to this it will ruin my impression of him.
    Seriously, you should watch the video. It gave me a whole new respect for Florez . . . and the 80s.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    R.I.P. Nikolaus Harnoncourt, a master of the Baroque revival, who died yesterday at the age of 86.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)