Thread: News

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    I discovered quite by accident that Kathleen Battle appeared in concert yesterday at Eastern Kentucky University with a program of music associated with the Underground Railroad.
    http://www.richmondregister.com/news...464cda829.html
    According to this story in the local daily, she has been touring with this program and is even set to present it at the Met this coming November -- as far as I know, her first appearance there since her ignominious firing by Joseph Volpe in 1994. I'll be curious to find out if any of the performing arts organizations here in Cincinnati invite her to come here, since she has strong local ties and the city is home to the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center. (There is some debate as to whether the real-life "Eliza" from Uncle Tom's Cabin crossed the frozen Ohio River to Cincinnati or farther upstream at Ripley, Ohio.) Battle made her last appearance here with the Cincinnati May Festival sometime after the Met contretemps, and didn't exactly make friends with her prima donna antics. One hopes that whatever emotional problems were plaguing her 20 years ago have since been resolved.
    Interesting. I've been always curious to learn what happened to her, even from, erm, a psychiatric standpoint. The self-destruction of her career was quite impressive (a pity; such a good singer!).
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    As I posted, there was a bit of a ruckus in Vienna.

More news and lots of interesting comments ...

here

here

and here

Hehe! Diva v Divo!
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

3. Likes MAuer, Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    As I posted, there was a bit of a ruckus in Vienna.

More news and lots of interesting comments ...

here

here

and here

Hehe! Diva v Divo!
    Natalie

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post

That's brilliant!!
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh boy. Some of the comments about Angela are funny but really mean-spirited. While everybody agrees that she has a difficult personality and that in her advancing age her voice is no longer what it was, bashing her as a no-talented bad singer is going too far. Angela had one of the best voices in the business, for many years, regardless of her antics.

Apparently someone translated what JK said as:

The first thing Kaufmann says, in Italian, is that they don’t have a soprano. After that, in German, he says, “Noch ein Versuch? Sie sehen mich so sprachlos wie Sie selbst, aber — ich seh’ das Zeichen, wir dürfen weiter machen. Entschuldigen Sie — das wollten wir so schön in einem durch…” In English: “Shall we give it another go? You see I’m as speechless as you are, but — I see the signal that we can go on. Excuse me. We wanted to do it nicely, all in one piece…”
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

7. Thanks Hoffmann thanked for this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Oh boy. Some of the comments about Angela are funny but really mean-spirited. While everybody agrees that she has a difficult personality and that in her advancing age her voice is no longer what it was, bashing her as a no-talented bad singer is going too far.
    It made for interesting reading, though. I think Opera Lively should have one day a year when the moderators just sit back and people can be as mean-spirited as they want.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post
    It made for interesting reading, though. I think Opera Lively should have one day a year when the moderators just sit back and people can be as mean-spirited as they want.
    Hehehe, funny, but me, reading all that, I had the opposite thought. Sure, it's entertaining but I was thinking, "thankfully Opera Lively is not like this."

Oh well, it probably makes us less popular because many people *like* the gossipy and mean-spirited sites and blogs, but personally I much prefer our civil community here. We are not so numerous but we have good standards and good quality.

I'm actually proud of what we have built here - a place where people can talk about opera without the personal insults and flame wars that are oh-so-common elsewhere in the Internet. I feel like we have an island of sanity here. I think our moderation is light and not over-burdened by unruly members exactly because the tone is set in such a way that people realize that certain things are just not welcome here so we end up not getting a certain kind of member that thrives in those other venues. The few that we did get, we thankfully kicked out.

Maybe we are a bit boring... but we are also polite and friendly to each other and mostly respectful to the artists, and I actually do prefer it this way.

10. Likes Amfortas, MAuer, Hoffmann liked this post
    Senior Member Veteran Member Povero Buoso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hehehe, funny, but me, reading all that, I had the opposite thought. Sure, it's entertaining but I was thinking, "thankfully Opera Lively is not like this."

Oh well, it probably makes us less popular because many people *like* the gossipy and mean-spirited sites and blogs, but personally I much prefer our civil community here. We are not so numerous but we have good standards and good quality.

I'm actually proud of what we have built here - a place where people can talk about opera without the personal insults and flame wars that are oh-so-common elsewhere in the Internet. I feel like we have an island of sanity here. I think our moderation is light and not over-burdened by unruly members exactly because the tone is set in such a way that people realize that certain things are just not welcome here so we end up not getting a certain kind of member that thrives in those other venues. The few that we did get, we thankfully kicked out.

Maybe we are a bit boring... but we are also polite and friendly to each other and mostly respectful to the artists, and I actually do prefer it this way.
    As a politics student (arguments can get heated and uncivil) and who enjoys playing video games (need more be said about the communities involved there) I like the atmosphere here. There is a nice core of regular posting members all of whom have a love of opera whose tastes vary wildly but who all have a respect for those of the others. It makes a nice change from some of the other areas of the Internet and I am very glad I've found the community here early on in my opera journey.*

*Apologies if my posts have been somewhat repetitive and limited recently politics work and movements in my personal life (good things) have meant any new opera watching experiences have stalled and listening experiences limited to my small(ish) current collection. Come the 5th of May though there is likely to be an onslaught in the three what opera threads!
    "Non sono in vena" Rodolfo summing up P.B's feelings on his dissertation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Being a moderator here is a joy compared with other places, due to the lovely membership. I did notice though when I was a moderator on another classical music site that most of the stoush occurred outside the opera forums; most opera lovers seem pretty respectful (maybe it's just that we get enough drama from the art form!).
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Being a moderator here is a joy compared with other places, due to the lovely membership. I did notice though when I was a moderator on another classical music site that most of the stoush occurred outside the opera forums; most opera lovers seem pretty respectful (maybe it's just that we get enough drama from the art form!).
    When we look at sites like Parterre Box I wouldn't say that all opera lovers seem pretty respectful and don't look for drama outside of the art form...

Post Thanks / Like
    When we look at sites like Parterre Box I wouldn't say that all opera lovers seem pretty respectful and don't look for drama outside of the art form...
    Hmm yes, good point!
    Natalie

15. Likes Povero Buoso liked this post
    Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Life has handed me all the drama I could possibly want. Opera has been a true respite from all that hustle, and I, for one, am quite satisfied with the tone here.

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Speaking of der Jonas, tomorrow Bavarian Prime Minister Horst Seehofer will be presenting various categories of the Bundesverdienstorden (Order of Merit) of the Federal Republic of Germany and/or its Bavarian equivalent to assorted individuals, among them JK, who will be receiving the Federal Verdienstkreuz (Cross of Merit).
    http://www.bayern.de/terminhinweis-m...ichkeiten-aus/

18. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
    Senior Member Veteran Member Povero Buoso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.roh.org.uk/news/cast-chan...raw-from-norma

Well at least she didn't do a Jonas. Time for Alagna to tackle Norma now?
    Last edited by Povero Buoso; April 26th, 2016 at 12:53 PM. Reason: My failure to spell Alagna is a constant shame. I blame using videogame chat to teach myself typing...
    "Non sono in vena" Rodolfo summing up P.B's feelings on his dissertation.

20. Likes MAuer, Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Povero Buoso View Post
    http://www.roh.org.uk/news/cast-chan...raw-from-norma

Well at least she didn't do a Jonas. Time for Alanga to tackle Norma now?
    Anna news

The season was only announced three weeks ago, surely she would have known her voice wasn't suitable before then?

(Who is Alanga?)
    Lucy Maud Montgomery