Thread: News

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice. He is the one I wanted. And an Opera Lively interviewee to boot!
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

2. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here are some news items gleaned from the July issue of Opernwelt:
    http://www.opernwelt.de/

- This will make fans of La Bellissima happy: the recent Berlin State Opera production of Lohengrin in which she and Piotr Beczala made role debuts as Elsa and the Swan Knight, respectively, will be released on DVD (and presumably on Blu-ray as well). Conductor Christian Thielemann has also suggested to her that she next add Wagner’s Elisabeth and Sieglinde to her repertoire. (Alma may yet get his wish to hear – and see – her sing Salome!)

- Bad news for opera-goers in Augsburg: the Theater’s 2016-17 season, with new productions of Tosca (Nigel Lowery directing), Idomeneo (Peter Konwitschny), Hans Thomalla’s Kaspar Hauser, and Karl Amadeus Hartmann’s Simplicius Simplicissimus, may be scuppered. The 139 year-old house is in serious need of repair and renovation, and has been closed a year ahead of schedule because of fire code problems. The Bavarian state government had already allocated €107 million for the project, which has been under discussion for several years, and to which the city of Augsburg was supposed to contribute an additional €90 million. But now there is a citizen’s initiative underway in Augsburg which opposes any increases to the municipal debt and is threatening the city’s share of the Theater renovation costs. Under current conditions, it’s questionable whether or not the Opera can find a suitable substitute performance venue for the coming season.

- Meanwhile, municipal belt-tightening in Karlsruhe means the Baden State Theater’s public subsidy will be reduced by two percent beginning in 2017. The cut will amount to approximately €464,000, and will be followed by a cut of about €476,000 in 2018. And because there is a co-financing agreement in place between Karlsruhe and the province of Baden-Württemberg, the provincial government’s subsidy to the Staatstheater will be reduced by the same amount. So the State Theater’s income losses will actually total around €928,000 next year and €952,000 in 2018. According to the Baden-Württemberg Ministry for Economics, Research, and Art, the savings from the Staatstheater subsidy reductions from 2017-2022 will amount to about €11 million. This has drawn a warning from Minister for Art Theresia Bauer that such drastic cuts will do fundamental, lasting damage to the quality of the State Theater’s performances.

- There’s been some turbulence at the top at Wuppertal’s Opera House of late, as well. Two years ago, longtime General Music Director Toshiyuki Kamioka also assumed the responsibilities of Intendant, and one of his first actions was to dismiss the house’s highly regarded permanent ensemble and switch to the stagione system. This didn’t sit well with many of the Opera’s supporters, and Kamioka’s recent decision to leave Wuppertal after only two seasons in order to devote his time to orchestras in Tokyo and Copenhagen was perceived as adding insult to injury. The house has already tapped Opera Director Berthold Schneider to succeed Kamioka as Intendant, and the new boss quickly moved to begin restoring the ensemble and returning to the repertoire system. At the present, six singers have been engaged, along with five artists-in-residence and guest soloists, for the new season that begins 17 September. In the magazine’s review of Wuppertal’s new production of Lulu, which premiered 14 May, the critic notes that the orchestra’s playing sounded uninvolved and indifferent, despite Kamioka’s best efforts.

- On a brighter note, the Fondazione Palazzetto Bru Zane, which is dedicated to research and performance of French music from the late 18th through the early 20th centuries (end of World War I), has launched the 24-hour web radio “station” Bru Zane Classical Radio. The playlist includes chamber music, opera/operetta, sacred works, orchestral compositions, and Lieder.

- Another new initiative comes from the Goethe Institute, which has established an International Co-Production Fund for the years 2016 through 2018. The Fund will support co-productions in theater, dance, music, and performance, and is available to individual professional artists as well as ensembles. The application period for 2016 extends until 15 July.

- Conductor Andris Nelsons has been awarded the 2016 Dresden Music Prize, with a €25,000 endowment, for his engagement on behalf of young artists and increasing public awareness of classical music.

- Winners of the 44th Lorin L. Zachary Competition for Young Opera Singers are soprano Vanessa Vasquez, who took home the $15,000 first prize; baritone John Viscardi, who claimed the second prize worth $10,000; and baritone Jarrett Ott, recipient of the third prize (no indication of the dollar amount is indicated).

4. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Andris Nelsons quite Bayreuth Festival Parsifal.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/mus...pHJ/story.html
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

6. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    Andris Nelsons quite Bayreuth Festival Parsifal.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/mus...pHJ/story.html
    Very interesting, especially the part about Thielemann's possible involvement in the situation. Last year, there was the Thielemann-Petrenko rivalry that led to Anja Kampe (Petrenko's partner) withdrawing from the Festspiele's new production of Tristan und Isolde, conducted by Thielemann. With all of the infighting among the various Wagner relatives and now the possible addition of Thielemann's troubles with other conductors, Bayreuth is beginning to resemble a soap opera.

Post Thanks / Like
    I visited der Jonas' Facebook page to post a birthday greeting (it's his 47th), and discovered he's had to cancel an appearance in a concert performance of Die Walküre today because of illness. I hope this is nothing worse than a cold, because his frequent ailments are really beginning to concern me.

9. Thanks Hoffmann thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some news about singers from the July-August issue of Das Opernglas (http://www.opernglas.de/):
    - Nina Stemme will make her role debut as the Dyer’s Wife in Die Frau ohne Schatten at the Vienna State Opera in 2019. (Jonas Kaufmann is scheduled to make his role debut as the Emperor in that opera in 2019 . . . wonder if it’s the same production.) Some of Ms. Stemme’s other future engagements include Turandot at the San Francisco Opera in November-December, 2017; Brünnhilde in the Bavarian State Opera’s Ring cycle in January-February, 2018; Kundry in Zürich (February-March,, 2018), at the Berlin State Opera (March-April, 2018), and in Munich (July, 2018); more Brünnhildes in the Royal Opera House’s Ring (September-November, 2018); and Elektra with the Chicago Lyric Opera in February, 2019.
    - José Cura will make his role debut as Tannhäuser next February at the Opéra de Monte Carlo. The production will not only use the opera’s Paris version, but will also be sung in the French translation that was prepared for Tannhäuser’s premiere in that city. On the podium in Monte Carlo will be contralto Nathalie Stutzmann. This coming September and October, the tenor will do double duty as stage director and Calaf in Antwerp’s new production of Turandot.
    - Speaking of Monte Carlo, Cecilia Bartoli is serving as Artistic Director of the new HIP ensemble Les Musiciens du Prince, which she and Jean-Louis Grinda, Intendant of the Monte Carlo Opera, founded earlier this year. Diego Fasolis is the orchestra’s Music Director, and patrons are Prince Albert II and his sister, Princess Caroline. With a program titled “Handel’s Heroines,” the mezzo will go on tour with Les Musiciens du Prince this autumn, with visits to Amsterdam, Paris, Cologne, Bremen, Brussels, London, Munich, Vienna, Graz, Budapest, and Zürich. Also on the schedule for Ms. Bartoli and the new ensemble will be concert performances of La Cenerentola at the Opéra de Monte Carlo next February, after which they will take Rossini’s version of the Cinderella story on tour to Dortmund, Hamburg, Amsterdam, Versailles, and Luxemburg.
    - Tenor José Carreras will bid farewell to a distinguished stage career with his concert program, “A Life in Music,” in a world tour that begins 10 September in Graz. Other planned locations are Innsbruck, Moscow, St. Petersburg, Dubai, Berlin, Leipzig, Stuttgart, Hamburg, Munich, Brussels, Mannheim, Tokyo, Bratislava, Kiev, Odessa, Frankfurt, Riga, Vilnius, Vienna, and Brno.
    - Krassimira Stoyanova will sing the title role in Donizetti’s Lucrezia Borgia at the 2017 Salzburg Festival.

11. Thanks Soave_Fanciulla thanked for this post
    Likes Amfortas, Hoffmann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some good news for Kaufmann fans in Australia: the tenor will be returning to Sydney next August for three concert performances of Parsifal.
    https://opera.org.au/whatson/events/parsifal-sydney

Post Thanks / Like
    The winners of the 2016 Echo Klassik awards have just been announced (http://www.echoklassik.de/klassik-preistraeger-2016/), and included among them are:
    Female Singer of the Year: Anna Netrebko
    Male Singer of the Year: Philippe Jaroussky
    Conductor of the Year: Sir Antonio Pappano
    17th/18th Century Opera Recording of the Year (CD): Catone in Utica (Leonardo Vinci); Riccardo Minasi conducting the HIP ensemble Il Pomo d’Oro; soloists Emmanuel Cencic, Franco Fagioli
    19th Century Opera Recording of the Year (CD): Herculanum (Félicien David); Hervé Niquet conducting the Brussels Philharmonic Orchestra and Flemish Radio Chorus; soloists Véronique Gens, Karine Deshayes, Edgaras Montvidas
    Opera Recording (DVD/Blu-ray) of the Year: La Traviata (Verdi); Francesco Ivan Ciampa conducting the orchestra and chorus of the Opéra National de Paris; soloists Diana Damrau, Francesco Demuro
    Vocal Solo (Opera Arias) Recording of the Year: Olga Peretyatko, “Rossini!”
    Vocal Solo (Aria/Recital) Recording of the Year: Christiane Karg, “Scene!
    Vocal Solo (Lied) Recording of the Year: Holger Falk, “Eric Satie – Mélodies et Chansons
    Best Seller of the Year: Jonas Kaufmann: “Nessun Dorma – The Puccini Album
    There is also a category called “Classic Without Borders” which encompasses the likes of Andrea Bocelli, the female instrumental quartet Salut Salon (recording: “Carnival Fantasy”), and the John Wilson Orchestra (recording: “Cole Porter in Hollywood”) -- probably similar to what is performed by the various Pops orchestras. It’s rather dismal that at the awards ceremony in Berlin on 9 October, such top artists as La Bellissima, der Jonas, and Philippe Jaroussky will be sharing the stage with that mediocrity Bocelli. He doesn’t even belong in the same room with them.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've had my eye on that Herculanum recording for a while, but unfortunately it is pretty expensive. Maybe it's another Auckland library suggestion for purchase (I'm wondering when they are going to get sick of me and say NO MORE FOR NAT!
    Natalie

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    I've had my eye on that Herculanum recording for a while, but unfortunately it is pretty expensive. Maybe it's another Auckland library suggestion for purchase (I'm wondering when they are going to get sick of me and say NO MORE FOR NAT!
    Ha! I've asked my library to order CDs and DVDs and if it's available in another branch within the County Council area, they'll order it but won't buy any new ones.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I bought my ticket to Glimmerglass earlier this year, it turns out that I also bought a place on their email list. Francesca Zambello writes an occasional newsletter (including recipes), which can be interesting.

Cooperstown, NY is a beautiful spot. When my sister told me that would be the location for my nephew's wedding, I was sort of incredulous as I always only associated the town with the Baseball Hall of Fame. The town is really a gem, located on Lake Otsego, with a beautifully preserved town and lovely Victorian homes. The wedding was held at the Otesaga resort hotel (think "The Shining"), which overlooks the lake (this is the rear veranda which looks directly on the lake view):

Name:  Otesaga.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  90.2 KB

Anyway, Glimmerglass does some interesting things, as highlighted in today's newsletter. Their project with Attica Correctional Facility (a big prison, famous for a riot in 1971, which was a bit-player in the film "Dog Day Afternoon") is in its infancy, so I'm looking forward to the next newsletter with what happened this summer.

http://us12.campaign-archive1.com/?u...5&e=5262755595

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Johan Botha has died aged only 51. Although I didn't find him very compelling on stage, I always enjoyed listening to this:

Natalie

18. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is terribly shocking news. Obviously, when he canceled performances earlier this year, he was more seriously ill than many of us realized. Only 51 -- so sad.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very sad indeed. Another top singer leaving us way too soon.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Festat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, I didn't know he was ill. I was just skipping through his Parsifal from Wiener Staatsoper yesterday.