Thread: News

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    reported in The Times on Tuesday (it takes me more than 2 days to read the newspaper)

"...The Times ...praised his staging ... as a nightmare mash-up of ...David Lynch and Woody Allen"

sounds err... interesting
    Quote Originally Posted by Povero Buoso View Post
    Well it can't be as bed as Kasper's Onegin staging right?right?
    Mears is in the Holten mould and the appointment doesn't fill me with optimism.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dmitri Hvorostovsky has just posted this on his facebook page

My dear friends: I am disappointed to have to withdraw from Simon Boccanegra at the Wiener Staatsoper following my doctors' orders that I undergo another round of chemotherapy. I am optimistic about these treatments and look forward to my upcoming concerts in Germany and beyond. In the meantime, I thank you all for your continued well-wishes, good vibes, and love.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    So sorry to read this. I hope his treatments go well and that he's able to resume singing as soon as possible.

4. Likes Florestan, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stupid cancer. Get well, Dmitri.

6. Likes MAuer, Hoffmann liked this post
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Placido Domingo just re-upped as General Director of the LA Opera:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...nap-story.html

I wonder if this also requires LA to allow him to sing in one of their productions ...

We were fortunate here in DC, when Domingo was General Director of the Washington National Opera, that he still was singing well when he was featured in one or more productions each season. His programming and casting - and productions - also were a good deal more interesting than what I've been seeing from Francesca Zambello during her directorship.

8. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jonas Kaufmann’s unofficial website (http://www.jkaufmann.info/neu.htm) quotes Stéphane Lissner as announcing the opening production of the 2017-18 season at the Opéra National de Paris as Verdi’s Don Carlo, with a cast that includes der Jonas, Sonya Yoncheva, Ludovic Tézier, Elīna Garanča, and Ildar Abdrazakov. Let’s hope JK stays healthy, because that sounds like a fabulous cast.

10. Likes Hoffmann, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    Jonas Kaufmann’s unofficial website (http://www.jkaufmann.info/neu.htm) quotes Stéphane Lissner as announcing the opening production of the 2017-18 season at the Opéra National de Paris as Verdi’s Don Carlo, with a cast that includes der Jonas, Sonya Yoncheva, Ludovic Tézier, Elīna Garanča, and Ildar Abdrazakov. Let’s hope JK stays healthy, because that sounds like a fabulous cast.
    Also for once an Eboli who can sing "Don Fatale" with a straight face.
    Natalie

12. Likes Hoffmann, MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also for once an Eboli who can sing "Don Fatale" with a straight face.
    Wellll. I was lucky enough to see the Met's last production of Don Carlo when it was in its initial run (ca. 1979), with Marilyn Horne singing Eboli. She was magnificent and completely upstaged Renata Scotto's Elisabetta!

14. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    As one professional singer commented "so pleased for all my friends who have spent years studying ..."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...n-musical.html
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

16. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    reader's comment posted

[Katherine Jenkins] "The people's mezzo soprano"? I don't think so, the people are not stupid.

a little bit funny (although a little bit naughty too)

18. Likes Amfortas, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    I just noticed this post. I would quite like to go to Paris now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    reader's comment posted

[Katherine Jenkins] "The people's mezzo soprano"? I don't think so, the people are not stupid.

a little bit funny (although a little bit naughty too)
    Some of the comments from t'interweb

To ENO - You are joking?

From a professional singer - We may witness the rare accomplishment of ENO chorus singing superbly (as always) while simultaneously biting its tongue.

From a professional singer - Very sad to hear of our national Opera company putting on a musical "starring" an opera hater and a not worthy.

From a musical theatre forum - Quite an achievement of the casting dept to find two people with the combined charisma of a turnip to lead this show. At least I can save some money by not going though.

From a musical theatre forum - I wouldn't say I've seen her [Jenkins] act in anything, but I did see her in the Doctor Who Christmas Special she was in. But in fairness that was a few years ago and she has had time to improve, hopefully take some acting classes, that sort of thing I guess...

From a professional singer - this kind of project with such people performing goes long way to destroy this [opera].

We shouldn't be surprised when you consider that the ENO Chief Executive, Cressida Pollock, by her own admission doesn't know anything about opera.
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

21. Likes Hoffmann, MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    More on the decision by ENO to stage Carousel with Jenkins and Boe

clicky

Interview with Boe following publication of his book

clicky

From what I'm reading on social media, the fury is mainly aimed at Boe who some professional singers regard as a traitor.
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, what a nice initiative from the Met - from email they sent to patrons today:

-----------

The Met is now open on Sundays. This season the company has opened the doors of the opera house to the public during daytime hours, allowing opera fans the chance to explore areas of the building that were previously closed off and visit our special 50th anniversary exhibitions in Founders Hall. Now we’re expanding this popular initiative by offering Sunday brunch at the Grand Tier Restaurant, featuring performances by rising Met stars.

Beginning Sunday, December 4, the restaurant will serve brunch from 11AM to 2:30PM, including recitals by young Met artists, accompanied by piano, at 12:15PM and 1:30PM. These performances of popular arias offer a unique opportunity for diners to discover Met stars of the future—while enjoying a Champagne cocktail or two. The house itself will be open from 11AM-4PM, so that restaurant patrons can experience our exhibitions before or after their meals.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Wow, what a nice initiative from the Met - from email they sent to patrons today:

-----------

The Met is now open on Sundays. This season the company has opened the doors of the opera house to the public during daytime hours, allowing opera fans the chance to explore areas of the building that were previously closed off and visit our special 50th anniversary exhibitions in Founders Hall. Now we’re expanding this popular initiative by offering Sunday brunch at the Grand Tier Restaurant, featuring performances by rising Met stars.

Beginning Sunday, December 4, the restaurant will serve brunch from 11AM to 2:30PM, including recitals by young Met artists, accompanied by piano, at 12:15PM and 1:30PM. These performances of popular arias offer a unique opportunity for diners to discover Met stars of the future—while enjoying a Champagne cocktail or two. The house itself will be open from 11AM-4PM, so that restaurant patrons can experience our exhibitions before or after their meals.
    That sounds wonderful. The ROH is being refurbished and plan to do something similar but I don't think they will open closed off areas.

The ROH Young Artists give free lunchtime recitals in the Crush Room but are being held elsewhere during the refurbishment.
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

25. Likes Clayton liked this post