Thread: News

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm hoping a nice big gift shop comes with a big CD and DVD selection.

2. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    I'm hoping a nice big gift shop comes with a big CD and DVD selection.
    Oh and me! The shops at La Scala and Palais Garnier are stunning and put that miserable excuse for a shop at ROH to shame. The La Scala shop used to have a basement lounge where you could sit in comfort and watch DVDs. Maybe still does but it's a while since I've been. Palais Garnier shop probably had every single opera DVD ever produced!
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

4. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If it was a little staircase in the corner (La Scala gift shop), that was roped off when I went. I didn't ask but it looked like it was an extension of the gift shop.
    Unfortunately for my visit to Palais Garnier, my overriding memory is an embarrassing case of vertigo on the stairs and coming round to see some staff and other visitors staring at me in concern...

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    If it was a little staircase in the corner (La Scala gift shop), that was roped off when I went. I didn't ask but it looked like it was an extension of the gift shop.
    That's the one!

Unfortunately for my visit to Palais Garnier, my overriding memory is an embarrassing case of vertigo on the stairs and coming round to see some staff and other visitors staring at me in concern...
    Oh poor you.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    Oh and me! The shops at La Scala and Palais Garnier are stunning and put that miserable excuse for a shop at ROH to shame. The La Scala shop used to have a basement lounge where you could sit in comfort and watch DVDs. Maybe still does but it's a while since I've been. Palais Garnier shop probably had every single opera DVD ever produced!
    Yep, this summer I visited both gift shops and they are amazing. Got some nice souvenirs from each, and the DVD selections are huge. I didn't buy anything, though; usually Amazon and Presto have better prices. I did buy some DVDs at the FNAC store in Paris, French stuff that I wouldn't find elsewhere.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

8. Likes Hoffmann, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Der Jonas is still ailing and has had to cancel his planned visit to Japan that was supposed to begin tomorrow. The Osaka concert is being rescheduled, and one can only hope he finally recovers his health and is able to perform again. Right now, his next appearance should be on 8 December at the Nobel Prize concert in Stockholm. Fingers crossed . . .
    Meanwhile, I just found out that La Bellissima’s better half, Yusif Eyvazov, suffered a broken leg at the end of October and was forced to withdraw from the Richard Tucker Gala.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    La Bellissima’s better half, Yusif Eyvazov, suffered a broken leg
    I swear it wasn't me. I didn't send any evil eye his way.

"J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is becoming downright alarming – Jonas Kaufmann has now canceled his participation in the Nobel Prize concert a week from tomorrow in Stockholm, and has been replaced by violinist Janine Jansen, as well as his appearance at BMW’s Advent Concert in Munich on the 10th (Pavol Breslik is subbing).
    https://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_org...this_year.html
    http://www.jkaufmann.info/neu.htm
    At this point, I will not be surprised if he also scraps the Liederabend in Monte Carlo on the 12th. I truly hope that he’s suffering from a bad cold and nothing worse. But all these cancelations are getting scary.

12. Thanks Hoffmann thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This does sound like an alarming number of cancellations. I share your concern and hope there is nothing seriously wrong with his health.

14. Likes Povero Buoso, Hoffmann liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    More on the decision by ENO to stage Carousel with Jenkins and Boe.
    Turns out the director of the production is Lonny Price, a classmate of mine, way back when, in the acting program at the Juilliard School (they kicked us both out after our first year).

So, in a way, I guess that makes me partly responsible.

16. Likes Hoffmann, MAuer, Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post
    Turns out the director of the production is Lonny Price, a classmate of mine, way back when, in the acting program at the Juilliard School (they kicked us both out after our first year).

So, in a way, I guess that makes me partly responsible.

I won't tell anyone so don't worry!
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

18. Thanks Amfortas thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Latest news from Dmitri Hvorostovsky's facebook

A statement from Dmitri's management, Askonas Holt:
    Having sung four very successful performances of La Traviata in Vienna, Dmitri is back in London.
    Following an MRI scan, Dmitri has been advised by his doctors to remain in London for further treatment and rest. As a result, Dmitri must unfortunately withdraw from two performances of Don Carlo at the Bolshoi, which would have marked his operatic debut with the company.

Dmitri deeply regrets the situation but remains optimistic about his recovery and grateful for the support from his family, friends, colleagues, and fans.

He looks forward to returning to the stage for the 10th anniversary of Hvorostovsky and Friends with Marcelo Álvarez on December 14 at Moscow's State Kremlin Palace and on December 18 at St. Petersburg's Oktyabrskiy Great Concert Hall. Further concert engagements include December 22 in Krasnoyarsk and December 28 in Ekaterinburg.
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

20. Thanks Hoffmann, Soave_Fanciulla thanked for this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh dear I hope it works out for him!
    Natalie

22. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is sad news. Never mind the performances cancelled, I just hope that he recovers.

Post Thanks / Like

Message from Dmitri Hvorostovsky's Facebook

To all my friends, fans and colleagues:

It is with great sadness that I must withdraw from opera performances for the foreseeable future.

I have been experiencing balance issues associated with my illness, making it extremely difficult for me to perform in staged productions.

I will continue to give concerts and recitals as well as make recordings. Singing is my life, and I want to continue bringing joy to people worldwide.

With this pause in my operatic career and more rest in between each engagement, I hope to have more time to focus on my health and treatment.

Thank you for all your love, messages and well wishes. Your support is felt and means the world to me.

With love,
    DMITRI HVOROSTOVSKY
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

25. Thanks MAuer, Clayton, Hoffmann thanked for this post
    Likes Florestan, Soave_Fanciulla liked this post