Thread: News

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not a bad-looking fellow, so the ladies may still be pleased.

I jumped on it and solicited an interview with him. He's probably getting several requests, but he's still young and not as well known so maybe he'll be willing to do as many interviews as possible, for more exposure. We'll see.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I speak under correction, but it sounds to me like he may hold up his end musically as well.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's hard to judge based on this very bad video, sound-wise.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I saw Bryan Hymel's Rodolfo in Glyndebourne On Tour's La bohème last year & was quite impressed.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Post Thanks / Like
    Good, so, it won't be a total loss.
    I'm worried about Mr. Kaufmann. He had that surgery to remove a tumor last year, and now this... I hope it's not a lot more serious than an infection like it's been claimed.

Senior Member Veteran Member Aksel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Almaviva View Post
    Good, so, it won't be a total loss.
    I'm worried about Mr. Kaufmann. He had that surgery to remove a tumor last year, and now this... I hope it's not a lot more serious than an infection like it's been claimed.
    Apparently (that is, according to some people on Twitter), it's a tracheal infection, and unrelated to the cyst he had removed last year. But whatever it is, it's not good.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well the replacement is sounding OK, as far as we can judge.

But Kaufmann's been sick for a while! I really hope he's OK.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aksel View Post
    Apparently (that is, according to some people on Twitter), it's a tracheal infection, and unrelated to the cyst he had removed last year. But whatever it is, it's not good.
    It wasn't described as a cyst, but rather, as a tumor, which worries me.
    A tracheal infection? From the medical standpoint, I don't think this diagnosis holds water.

Senior Member Involved Member jflatter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I saw Hymel as the Prince in Rusalka and was impressed with his voice. I saw him as a possible Siegmund, so he maybe able to cope with this role.

10. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Almaviva View Post
    It wasn't described as a cyst, but rather, as a tumor, which worries me.
    A tracheal infection? From the medical standpoint, I don't think this diagnosis holds water.
    Whatever's going on, this doesn't sound good. When he cancelled at the Met, I wasn't too concerned -- thought perhaps he'd come down with a cold. When he cancelled his Zürich concert, it was obvious that something more serious than a cold was involved. But the ROH cancellation REALLY has me worried. I'm wondering if somehow the thoracic tumor last year and whatever's wrong with him now are both part of a very serious illness.

treemaker
    Two articles in the New York Times.

Peter Gelb has reversed his decision regarding "Opera News" HERE

Pavarotti's long-time manager Herbert Breslin has died HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for posting the NYT's article on Mr. Gelb, treemaker. Readers, the article is short, but the interesting part is the long string of comments that we can read below the article.

Wow. The comments show a wide range of opinions, but most seem to think that the new productions are too cutting-edge. Whoa. They haven't seen European productions, lately. People bitterly complain of Willy Decker's Traviata, which I particularly consider as a very clever production - and it is not Eurotrash at all - it also agrees with Verdi's explicit intend, in his own words, that Traviata should be staged with singers wearing the same clothes worn but the contemporary audience. But it looks like the bulk of the Met supporters still love the old stuffy productions (the Zefirelli kind) so this does spell trouble for the Met since many of these moneyed people are threatening to stop donating if the Met continues to insist in modernization.

While Mr. Gelb's censorship attempt is utterly disgraceful, the general idea of where he's been trying to get the opera company, is something I entirely approve of. Yeah, yeah, the Machine wasn't the best of moves, but the idea of trying to stage the Ring - ultimately in a traditional way (no manipulations of the story like pregnant Brünnhildes, changed endings, etc., as we've seen in some European productions), but using modern technology - is the right one.

Where I feel there was a much worse error in judgment is in the promotion of Maestro Luisi. While he is a fine conductor, he is one with a sort of defined style that matches better the more delicate pieces of music. I think he is not the ideal conductor for a repertory house that tackles all sorts of different operatic musical styles. Often when energy and dynamism are called for, his conducting is anemic.

But in theatrical terms, I profoundly disagree with most of these Met fans who are disparaging the Traviata staging (which wasn't originally the Met's, anyway - a fact that seems to completely escape the commentators) by saying that they shouldn't be donating to the Met because the bare productions are not expensive; the red couch can be had by $600 at Target. What a foolish comment! These people in spite of being Met donors seem to have no clue about the costs involved in producing opera.

Ultimately, controversial as Mr. Gelb is, I believe it will be a backward step if under pressure from traditionalist wealthy patrons, the Board sacks him.

Yes, it was an incredibly boneheaded move, this attempt to censor Opera News. It does call into question his fitness for being the COO, because a minimum of understanding of the public would have easily informed him that predictably the reaction would be strong. But his global vision for the company is actually positive, I think.

I doubt for instance that the previous team would have sponsored such a wonderful initiative as the pastiche The Enchanted Island. That production kind of put the Met back into a leadership role in terms of what is being currently done in the operatic world, and it was mostly *his* push. So, when people say he is not qualified and doesn't love opera, this initiative would tend to disprove the point.

There are a few commentators there who think like me, but too few. The overwhelming majority wants Mr. Gelb's head, and wants the Met to go back to the lavish period stagings with no directorial input. It is very contradictory. They attribute the Met's decline (which is not even true, the Met is again profitable) to the fact that audiences don't want to see the modern productions. But you can't stop progress. New audiences *will* want the modern productions.
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); May 28th, 2012 at 04:40 PM.

14. Thanks Ann Lander (sospiro) thanked for this post
    Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd agree that Mr. Gelb's innovations are tame by European standards. (The Opera critic tore The Enchanted Island to pieces in his review.) I would also agree that whatever decisions Gelb makes regarding choices of repertoire and stagings are bound to make someone unhappy. But to play the devil's advocate for a moment -- Yes, opera is art, but from a strictly economic perspective, it is a "product" and audience members are "consumers" of that product, at least in the U.S. In Europe, government subsidies make it more of a taxpayer-funded program. But in either case, I'm not sure I understand the thinking of some Intendants, GMDs, etc., who apparently believe that thumbing one's nose at the people who are paying the bills is acceptable. In the private sector, that sort of thinking can put a company out of business. I don't mean to suggest that the Met should quit trying new things, whether it be new stagings or performances of new works. To some extent, those at the head of arts organizations do (and should) play a leadership role in the community. But when the people you're trying to lead are also issuing your paycheck, it makes the relationship more of a collaboration than a paternalistic "I know what's good for you" approach. From what I've seen, even conservative audiences will accept new things if they (audiences) are approached in the right manner.

Schigolch
    Well, the ability to pay less taxes when you are making cultural donations, widespread in the US, *is* also a form of government subsidies. No way the MET could raise $182 millions from almost 50,000 donors otherwise.

About the finances, hey, the MET is making Opera. If you want to run a profitable business, Opera is not the right choice for you. Never had really been.

I think they are doing very good, taking into account the economic climate.

Then, some singers and staging directors are overpaid, but this is also the name of the game.

About New York audiences being less open to "innovative" staging, I don't see any real difference between those comments, and much the same views of many seasoned operagoers in Spain, Italy, France,... It's a little bit different in Germany and Central Europe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    (The Opera critic tore The Enchanted Island to pieces in his review.)
    Wow! I loved it! What did the Opera critic say?