Thread: News

          
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #1801
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Berkhamsted, UK
    Posts
    4,260
    Post Thanks / Like
    Painful for the fans and these financial problems need a more long term solution than these cuts. What I don't know but I do think because of the large turnover of these opera companies the person at the helm does need to be more from a business than opera background.

  2. #1802
    Senior Member Involved Member Nemorino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    128
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    Painful for the fans and these financial problems need a more long term solution than these cuts. What I don't know but I do think because of the large turnover of these opera companies the person at the helm does need to be more from a business than opera background.
    I'm getting ready to go back to school and get my MBA. Short term career goal = make more money (so I can see more operas). Long term goal = groom myself to be an opera company manager. I'm nothing if not ambitious : )

  3. Likes MAuer, Clayton, Hoffmann liked this post
  4. #1803
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,479
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    Painful for the fans and these financial problems need a more long term solution than these cuts. What I don't know but I do think because of the large turnover of these opera companies the person at the helm does need to be more from a business than opera background.
    At the same time the Ring Machine cost about 16 million dollars - in itself and for the theatre to be reinforced to bear its weight. Waste of money!
    Natalie

  5. Likes Hoffmann, Florestan liked this post
  6. #1804
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    9,305
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    At the same time the Ring Machine cost about 16 million dollars - in itself and for the theatre to be reinforced to bear its weight. Waste of money!
    I'd also say that the excuse of saving mere $1M in a house with an annual budget of $300M rings hollow, especially when it's accompanied by all the denials that it has anything to do with Mr. Bieito's artistic style (if it doesn't then you don't need all the denials), and especially when a pop field cost hundreds of thousands and like you said, the infamous machine cost $16M. When one starts issuing too many reassurances, it sounds like one of those dismissals where the fired person says "I'm resigning because I need to spend more time with my family." Yeah, right. Of course I have no basis for this speculation, but I'd think that influential patrons and the Board may have had a talk with Mr. Gelb regarding Bieito. And then there is the inevitable "we look forward to working with Mr. Bieito in the future" - a future that most likely will never happen.

    Yes, Peter Gelb has tried to modernize the Met, but many people who are still very powerful in the organization and among the major donors do not seem to agree.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  7. #1805
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,479
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    I'd also say that the excuse of saving mere $1M in a house with an annual budget of $300M rings hollow, especially when it's accompanied by all the denials that it has anything to do with Mr. Bieito's artistic style (if it doesn't then you don't need all the denials), and especially when a pop field cost hundreds of thousands and like you said, the infamous machine cost $16M. When one starts issuing too many reassurances, it sounds like one of those dismissals where the fired person says "I'm resigning because I need to spend more time with my family." Yeah, right. Of course I have no basis for this speculation, but I'd think that influential patrons and the Board may have had a talk with Mr. Gelb regarding Bieito. And then there is the inevitable "we look forward to working with Mr. Bieito in the future" - a future that most likely will never happen.

    Yes, Peter Gelb has tried to modernize the Met, but many people who are still very powerful in the organization and among the major donors do not seem to agree.
    Good point, a case of the gentleman "doth protest too much, methinks".
    Natalie

  8. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro), Hoffmann liked this post
  9. #1806
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    3,328
    Post Thanks / Like
    Then there's this announcement out of L.A. of a new co-production of Orpheus et Eurydice between L.A., Chicago and Hamburg, with the Joffrey Ballet here in the U.S. and the Hamburg Ballet in Hamburg.

    http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...116-story.html

    It sounds very promising - three superb regional opera houses cooperating on a new production! WNO likely will get another 2nd rate production of Tosca or La Traviata...

  10. Likes Nemorino, MAuer, Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
  11. #1807
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    3,328
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very sad news this morning that the great Roberta Peters passed away at age 86.

    Here is the obituary in the "Washington Post":

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/enter...=.71489f691f20


    And a reminder of her singing skill as shown in one of her most famous roles, the Queen of the Night;




    (I have to admit, in watching this particular scene, probably from the mid-1950s, she reminds me of my 10th grade Latin teacher, but not quite as dramatic).

  12. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
  13. #1808
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Midwestern U.S.
    Posts
    2,697
    Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve always loved her Queen of the Night on the 1965 Böhm recording of Die Zauberflöte. Some sopranos in this role sound as though they should be Tamino's sweetheart instead of his prospective mother-in-law, but Ms. Peters' Queen was truly terrifying.

  14. Likes Hoffmann, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
  15. #1809
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    9,305
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting: 11yo British girl wrote a full opera in German (2 hours and a half) which has been considered very good and got staged in Vienna by one of the smaller companies, with the sponsorship of Zubin Mehta. It received a standing ovation. She plays the violin and the piano and has been said to be as talented as the young Mozart (most likely an exaggeration, but still...)

    Click [here]
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  16. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
  17. #1810
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,625
    Post Thanks / Like
    George Benjamin's new opera to be premiered at Royal Opera House in May 2018

    http://www.roh.org.uk/news/new-opera...rimp-announced

  18. Thanks Povero Buoso thanked for this post
    Likes MAuer, Soave_Fanciulla, Clayton liked this post
  19. #1811
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Berkhamsted, UK
    Posts
    4,260
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    George Benjamin's new opera to be premiered at Royal Opera House in May 2018

    http://www.roh.org.uk/news/new-opera...rimp-announced
    I'm going to pencil this in my diary

  20. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
  21. #1812
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Midwestern U.S.
    Posts
    2,697
    Post Thanks / Like
    The February issue of Das Opernglas arrived yesterday, and I was stunned to read of the death of Heldenbariton Gerd Grochowski last month of a heart attack only hours after singing Wotan in a new production of Die Walküre at the Hessian State Theater in Wiesbaden.
    http://slippedisc.com/2017/01/bayreu...uddenly-at-60/

  22. Thanks Ann Lander (sospiro), Hoffmann thanked for this post
  23. #1813
    Senior Member Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Posts
    843
    Post Thanks / Like
    I saw a news brief that Nicolai Gedda had passed. I saw him in several Met on Tour performances way back when, and believe him to have been a very talented singer.

    RIP

  24. Likes Hoffmann, MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
  25. #1814
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Berkhamsted, UK
    Posts
    4,260
    Post Thanks / Like

  26. Thanks Ann Lander (sospiro) thanked for this post
  27. #1815
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Midwestern U.S.
    Posts
    2,697
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kicking myself for not buying the recording of Cendrillon with his Prince Charmant while it was still available. When I last checked, it could only be downloaded -- and not in the U.S. Amazon might have it, but it will probably come with a price tag of at least three digits.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


free html visitor counters
hit counter




Official Media Partners of Opera Carolina

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Opera Carolina

Official Media Partners of NC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of North Carolina Opera

Official Media Partners of Greensboro Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Greensboro Opera

Official Media Partners of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute and Piedmont Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute
of the University of North Carolina School of the Arts and Piedmont Opera

Official Media Partners of Asheville Lyric Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Asheville Lyric Opera

Official Media Partners of UNC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of UNC Opera
Dept. of Music, UNC-Chapel Hill College of Arts and Sciences

www.operalively.com

VISIT WWW.OPERALIVELY.COM FOR ALL YOUR OPERA NEEDS