Thread: News

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    oh bottoms. I'm coming over but I'll be in Italy by the end of September.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post
    I'm afraid I must call your attention to Article Seven of the Terms of Service:

"Obscenity and foul language are also not allowed. This kind of content will be removed immediately and severe infractions will be issued."

Just doing my job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    * edit "oh derrieres"

2. Likes Amfortas, MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post
    I'm afraid I must call your attention to Article Seven of the Terms of Service:

"Obscenity and foul language are also not allowed. This kind of content will be removed immediately and severe infractions will be issued."

Just doing my job.
    Oh, I thought by Bottoms she meant the various depictions of the character from A Midsummer Night's Dream. [wink wink]
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    Occasionally, I stalk Opera Europa's page to read their biannual reports on viewing figures for The Opera Platform. (I'm a statistics nerd.) You may or may not know that TOP was a 3-year plan, and I've been hoping it would be deemed successful enough to continue beyond that. Today I discovered a document that outlines their plan going forward, and I will summarize it here. (Note: it's not official because it needs to be ratified at their May conference.)

The Opera Platform will be "replaced" in October with a new site called "Opera Vision", and it amounts to expanded coverage. They will try to stream an average of 2 operas per month (rather than 1), which I assume means a livestream with subtitles added later (they've had many unsubtitled bonus operas above the 1 opera/month average).

MOST EXCITING: They have added many more opera companies to their list of partners. Notably, Opera-Comique Paris, Prague National Theater, Hungarian State Opera Budapest, Royal Swedish Opera Stockholm and the great Italian companies of Roma, San Carlo Napoli, and La Fenice.

It's a little disappointing that they haven't been able to add any German companies (in fact, Stuttgart has dropped off the list, leaving only Berlin's Komische), but they must have exclusive deals with German media networks.

Finally, there are some vague goals about attracting new younger audiences, and expanding into other forms of "music theatre". Who knows what that will look like, but if they keep up the quality & accessibility of the streams AND offer more of them it sounds like a net positive for us opera fans.

5. Thanks MAuer, Soave_Fanciulla thanked for this post
    Likes Dichteurehalle, Clayton, Festat, Hoffmann liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    and expanding into other forms of "music theatre"
    I can't say I like the sound of that
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

7. Likes Soave_Fanciulla, Hoffmann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    I can't say I like the sound of that
    Well, they don't *make* you watch their livestreams.

They had a survey a year ago where they asked their viewers what kind of shows they would want to see. Specifically, they asked about ballet and musicals. BUT... I have to wonder about what qualifies as a musical in Europe. First of all, fresh-from-Broadway fare is going to be too heavily copyrighted for them to broadcast free. Second, their partners don't do much of that kind of thing. I think we'll see a few ballets and the kind of operetta that the Komische likes to do, like "The Pearls of Cleopatra". And maybe (if we're really lucky) some zarzuelas.

9. Likes Dichteurehalle liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemorino View Post
    Well, they don't *make* you watch their livestreams.

They had a survey a year ago where they asked their viewers what kind of shows they would want to see. Specifically, they asked about ballet and musicals. BUT... I have to wonder about what qualifies as a musical in Europe. First of all, fresh-from-Broadway fare is going to be too heavily copyrighted for them to broadcast free. Second, their partners don't do much of that kind of thing. I think we'll see a few ballets and the kind of operetta that the Komische likes to do, like "The Pearls of Cleopatra". And maybe (if we're really lucky) some zarzuelas.
    Oh yes Zarzuelas please!
    Natalie

11. Likes Dichteurehalle, Nemorino liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Marius de Vries, La La Land music director to work with English National Opera ... to help new artistic director develop projects away from traditional opera.

Oh dear.

13. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Things really do seem to be going from bad to worse at ENO.

Post Thanks / Like
    I hate all initiatives that assume opera is not powerful enough to get new audiences and believe that the solution is to go after musicals. This is the operatic world shooting itself in the foot.