Thread: News

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post

I'm sure by now, most of you will know the background of the 'we've lost the soprano' but for those that don't.

JK and conductor, Jesús Lopez Cobos, agreed beforehand that JK would encore "E lucevan le stelle" on opening night but unfortunately they forgot to tell AG. The encore and applause went on for about 10 minutes and all this time AG was dutifully waiting in the wings for her entrance at the end of the aria. At the next performance (which was streamed), JK agreed once again to encore "E lucevan le stelle" and this time AG knew so she stayed in her dressing room. Unfortunately the time taken for the encore and applause wasn't as long as it had been on opening night and AG misjudged the timing of her entrance by about two minutes.

There were plenty of stories doing the rounds that she was annoyed that he was allowed to perform an encore; that she regarded herself and not JK as the 'star' and that she was sulking and refusing to continue but the truth was far more mundane. I got this from the horse's mouth and just goes to show you shouldn't believe everything you read about Angela Gheorghiu.

2. Thanks Ingvar thanked for this post
    Likes MAuer, Hoffmann, Soave_Fanciulla, Ingvar liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    I'm sure by now, most of you will know the background of the 'we've lost the soprano' but for those that don't.

JK and conductor, Jesús Lopez Cobos, agreed beforehand that JK would encore "E lucevan le stelle" on opening night but unfortunately they forgot to tell AG. The encore and applause went on for about 10 minutes and all this time AG was dutifully waiting in the wings for her entrance at the end of the aria. At the next performance (which was streamed), JK agreed once again to encore "E lucevan le stelle" and this time AG knew so she stayed in her dressing room. Unfortunately the time taken for the encore and applause wasn't as long as it had been on opening night and AG misjudged the timing of her entrance by about two minutes.

There were plenty of stories doing the rounds that she was annoyed that he was allowed to perform an encore; that she regarded herself and not JK as the 'star' and that she was sulking and refusing to continue but the truth was far more mundane. I got this from the horse's mouth and just goes to show you shouldn't believe everything you read about Angela Gheorghiu.
    Sure but in the case of the Teatro Colon, her asking for "righteous respect and admiration" came from her own Twitter account so it's not some sort of third-party rumor or assumption. I'm fine with her asking for respect which all professionals deserve, but she threw "admiration" in there as well. Weird choice of words, don't you think? Admiration is to be earned, not requested.

Not to forget, if you want professional respect, you need to also give professional respect. Going to social media to disparage the theater doesn't look that professional to me. Whatever professional or contractual differences she had with the theater should be a matter between her, her agent, and the theater's officials, and generally not for public consumption. Again, like I said, Alvarez remained quiet when he withdrew from the production. That sounds a lot more professional to me.

The other funny thing about her Twitter message is that she kept saying how sorry she is for the Argentine public that won't get to see her. That's a bit grandiose too, but it is not even what bothers me. What does, is that she doesn't seem to be that worried about the public when she cancels unilaterally for no valid reason, like she has a history of doing; so now the claim sounds hollow.

We are definitely not a gossip site here and I very rarely openly criticize a singer, given how I value the profession and understand the hardships (including, from having personally interviewed some 220 of them). But one can say that Ms. Gheorghiu generally reaps what she sows. We wouldn't be suspicious of her behavior if she had never canceled frivolously or engaged in excessive narcissistic demands. This is well documented for example in Joseph Volpe's book.

The point made earlier is that nobody is criticizing or assuming anything bad about Alvarez because he doesn't have the same infamous reputation. It's not like we're getting our suspicions and (confessed) assumptions about Ms. Gheorghiu out of the blue.

Like the saying goes, past behavior predicts future behavior.

In this case maybe we're wrong. But frankly, it's kind of her fault that we even get to make these assumptions, mistaken as they might be in this specific case or surely were in the "Non abbiamo soprano" case.

Nobody makes these assumptions when, for example, Joyce DiDonato cancels - even with a broken leg and on a wheelchair she makes a point of doing her best to perform, so when she can't, we give her a pass. Gheorghiu? Nah.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

4. Likes Soave_Fanciulla, Hoffmann liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Winners of this year’s International Opera Awards will be announced this Sunday. The finalists can be viewed here: http://www.operaawards.org/archive/2017/

6. Likes Hoffmann, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Met Gala tomorrow celebrating the Met's 50th Lincoln Center anniversary. I don't know why I never heard of this. Only today I got this news, too late to get on a plane and go. There are still tickets but I wouldn't be able to just leave without arranging for coverage on Monday for the practice; time-off needs pre-preparation of notes, re-scheduling of team meetings, etc. Darn, if I had learned of this a week ahead I'd have managed to attend. Look at the list of performers; it's like a once-in-a-life-time opportunity. I hope they release a DVD of this.

Don’t miss the world’s greatest operatic artists as they come together for a once-in-a-lifetime fully staged gala performance celebrating the Metropolitan Opera’s 50th anniversary in Lincoln Center. Renée Fleming, Anna Netrebko, and Plácido Domingo are just a few of the artists performing in this mix of arias, duets, and ensemble pieces. A few final tickets have just been released for sale.

Director and set designer Julian Crouch and projection designers 59 Productions—the forces behind the Met’s 125th Anniversary Gala in 2009—are creating an unforgettable operatic celebration of this important milestone.
    Artists scheduled to perform are as follows:

Marco Armiliato
    Piotr Beczała
    Ben Bliss
    Stephanie Blythe
    Joseph Calleja
    Javier Camarena
    Dwayne Croft
    Diana Damrau
    David Daniels
    Joyce DiDonato
    Plácido Domingo
    Yusif Eyvazov
    Michael Fabiano
    Renée Fleming
    Juan Diego Flórez
    Elīna Garanča
    Susan Graham
    Vittorio Grigolo
    Christopher Job
    Mariusz Kwiecien
    Isabel Leonard
    James Levine
    Željko Lučić
    Angela Meade
    Latonia Moore
    James Morris
    Anna Netrebko
    Kristine Opolais
    Eric Owens
    René Pape
    Matthew Polenzani
    Yannick Nézet-Séguin
    Michael Volle
    Yunpeng Wang
    Pretty Yende
    Sonya Yoncheva
    Dolora Zajick
    Metropolitan Opera Orchestra and Chorus

Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); May 6th, 2017 at 03:18 PM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

8. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's quite a line-up! And I strongly suspect this performance will be recorded and released in video format. There was a similar big bash in the '80s to celebrate the Met's centennial, and it's available on DVD.

10. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    That's quite a line-up! And I strongly suspect this performance will be recorded and released in video format. There was a similar big bash in the '80s to celebrate the Met's centennial, and it's available on DVD.

Yes, I have this DVD at home, and I do hope they'll do the same thing including because with this line-up, it will certainly be a best-seller; I can't see the Met passing on all the money they'll make from this. The only problem is how to get around the multiple exclusivity contracts these artists have with other recording/video companies. Maybe in the 80's these things were simpler.

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post

I remember that! I was out sailing that Saturday in October 1983, I think, on the Chesapeake Bay with some friends and remembered this was the Saturday broadcast. It was cold and really overcast, so went below and asked to turn on the radio. Others fled topside, but I was blissed out!

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    JDF has cancelled

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Nobody makes these assumptions when, for example, Joyce DiDonato cancels - even with a broken leg and on a wheelchair she makes a point of doing her best to perform, so when she can't, we give her a pass. Gheorghiu? Nah.
    Gheorghiu has cancelled the Met Tosca in HD performance. Martina Serafin has einsprung.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    JDF has cancelled

- - - Updated - - -

Gheorghiu has cancelled the Met Tosca in HD performance. Martina Serafin has einsprung.
    The website says that Kristine Opolais will be Tosca in the Met Live in HD performance, on January 27, 2018. Is this the one you are talking about?

Senior Member Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Yes, I have this DVD at home, and I do hope they'll do the same thing including because with this line-up, it will certainly be a best-seller; I can't see the Met passing on all the money they'll make from this. The only problem is how to get around the multiple exclusivity contracts these artists have with other recording/video companies. Maybe in the 80's these things were simpler.
    I was there and unfortunately saw no cameras, which is a pity because the projections and some parts of the staging were really great! For anyone who missed the radio broadcast, somebody's put it up on soundcloud.

Senior Member Involved Member Nemorino's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dichteurehalle View Post
    I was there and unfortunately saw no cameras, which is a pity because the projections and some parts of the staging were really great! For anyone who missed the radio broadcast, somebody's put it up on soundcloud.
    Arrrgh! I really wanted to get to see it as well as hear it; the idea of projecting classic stagings was really intriguing.

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vivaldi - FARNACE
    http://www.theoperaplatform.eu/en/opera/vivaldi-farnace
    Available until
    14 May 2017 at 23h59 CET
    Necessities of life: food, water, air, shelter, and opera.

Senior Member Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemorino View Post
    Arrrgh! I really wanted to get to see it as well as hear it; the idea of projecting classic stagings was really intriguing.
    I was wrong, they did have cameras, apparently!

19. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    A couple of items from the June issue of Opernwelt (http://www.opernwelt.de/):
    - The Berlin State Opera’s spruced-up home on Unter den Linden is set to reopen 3 October with a(n unspecified) “music theater premiere.” The Staatsoper’s regular 2017-18 season gets underway 7 December, the 275th anniversary of the opera house. Naturally, this made me wonder if details of the new season had been released yet, but after checking the Staatsoper’s web site, it appears that information won’t be available until late June.
    - Tenor Manfred Jung, best remembered as Siegfried in Bayreuth’s Boulez-Chereau centennial Ring, passed away 14 April at the age of 76 following a long illness. Following his singing career, he became a successful choral and orchestral conductor; in 2006, he was named artistic director of Bayreuth’s Young Musicians Foundation, and was also active as a voice teacher.

21. Thanks Soave_Fanciulla thanked for this post
    Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Philip Gossett, scholar of 19th-century Italian opera, is dead at 75

He wrote this very interesting book:

Luiz interviewed him for Opera Lively in 2012: clicky
    Natalie

23. Likes Amfortas, MAuer liked this post