Thread: News

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Festat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    From The Opera Platform newsletter:

On 1 October 2017, Opera Europa, the service organisation for professional opera companies and opera festivals throughout Europe, and the French-German television channel ARTE concluded their fruitful cooperation on the digital opera streaming offer The Opera Platform. The project was launched in May 2015 in partnership with 15 opera companies from 12 European countries and funded by the European Commission’s Creative Europe programme over a period of three years.
    In the almost two and a half years, over 1.5 million unique visitors enjoyed a unique European offer. Thanks to this initiative, over 3 million videos were viewed throughout the world, with content from 58 companies, from Madrid to Helsinki and from Reykjavík to Melbourne. The Creative Europe programme allowed Opera Europa, ARTE and 15 opera companies to bring a challenging project to life. As the planned run of The Opera Platform is now completed, Opera Europa and ARTE have decided to follow their own respective projects in the field of opera.

Creative Europe has shown its renewed trust in Opera Europa by supporting its follow-up project Opera Vision, which brings together 30 partners from 18 countries for the promotion and enjoyment of Opera for all. This free offer aims at making the multiple facets of opera accessible to a diverse audience.

A rich programme of performances will be brought to audiences worldwide, complemented with bonus material and opera insights. The new platform will go public on 12 October when the full launch programme will be announced. Between now and the end of the year, Opera Vision will present 20 full-scale opera productions alongside a wealth of new contextual and educational material.

ARTE will launch a new dedicated opera project in spring 2018: The European Opera Season on ARTE Concert. The French-German broadcaster joins forces with 24 leading European opera companies in order to create a network for the promotion of the art form of opera. At least one opera per month will be available for digital streaming on ARTE Concert - worldwide and free of charge.

In the meantime, ARTE celebrates in autumn 2017 the variety of opera with numerous highlights from the stages across Europe, starting with the grand opening of the Berlin State Opera with Robert Schumann’s Scenes from Goethe’s Faust, conducted by Daniel Barenboim and directed by Jürgen Flimm on 3 October 2017.

Opera Europa and ARTE are grateful to the European Union’s Creative Europe programme for their support over the last three years. The Opera Platform enabled all partners to benefit from a vast exchange of experiences between cultural institutions and broadcaster.
    I am not entirely sure of what this means in practice. The Opera Platform is dead, long live Opera Vision? Mind that there's not a hint about it on their homepage, you'll only be informed about this if you subscribed to (and cares to read) their newsletter.

Senior Member Involved Member Nemorino's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Festat View Post
    I am not entirely sure of what this means in practice. The Opera Platform is dead, long live Opera Vision? Mind that there's not a hint about it on their homepage, you'll only be informed about this if you subscribed to (and cares to read) their newsletter.
    Yeah, I'm not really sure why they felt they had to rebrand, except that it might have had to do with selling their application for new funding with the EU arts council. For instance, I remember reading that when TOP was started, some esoteric EU rule limited the number of partner organizations (opera companies in this case) they could have. Now, the gloves are off, and funding is increased.

On 11/1, the opera platform website will redirect to a new website, which will include the operas that have only been on TOP for a few months, plus some new launch titles. (I confirmed this with them via private message on Facebook.) And going forward, they will offer even more operas per month.

Senior Member Involved Member Nemorino's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, the new site is live already at operavison.eu with the schedule thru December. Pretty good lineup; a little conservative but it’s understandable that they want to start strong to drive traffic to the new site. La Traviata (Festival Verdi), Le nozze di Figaro (Garsington), Ring Cycle (Opera North).

I’m eagerly awaiting the Barrie Kosky “Pelleas et Melisande”. And Poznan Opera brings out a 1924 neo-Romantic Polish opera called “The Legend of the Baltics”. I hope some of the other EU countries will do as good a job as Poland at using this platform to revive lesser-known cultural heritage works like this. There’s also a Gluck rarity which I think will be in a concert version, unstaged.

It looks like almost everything has English, French & German subtitles. This is a bit different, because they used to offer subtitles on fewer operas, but in 6 languages including Polish and Spanish. So this is a bit surprising, because they have a charter to serve EU countries above all. I think they will still try to offer those languages on some titles, they’re just not sure yet how many they’ll be able to do.

4. Thanks Soave_Fanciulla, Ann Lander (sospiro) thanked for this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemorino View Post
    Okay, the new site is live already at operavison.eu with the schedule thru December. Pretty good lineup; a little conservative but it’s understandable that they want to start strong to drive traffic to the new site. La Traviata (Festival Verdi), Le nozze di Figaro (Garsington), Ring Cycle (Opera North).

I’m eagerly awaiting the Barrie Kosky “Pelleas et Melisande”. And Poznan Opera brings out a 1924 neo-Romantic Polish opera called “The Legend of the Baltics”. I hope some of the other EU countries will do as good a job as Poland at using this platform to revive lesser-known cultural heritage works like this. There’s also a Gluck rarity which I think will be in a concert version, unstaged.

It looks like almost everything has English, French & German subtitles. This is a bit different, because they used to offer subtitles on fewer operas, but in 6 languages including Polish and Spanish. So this is a bit surprising, because they have a charter to serve EU countries above all. I think they will still try to offer those languages on some titles, they’re just not sure yet how many they’ll be able to do.

Excellent! Thank you.

6. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I got that from the newsletter, hopefully this will be good and will increase the offer.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Senior Member Veteran Member Povero Buoso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Be nice to have some of the more early Verdi titles on the platform scrolling through youtube and other free sites for early Verdi with subtitles in English is becoming a new project of mine and a giovanna di arco or un giorno di regno with subtitles would be ideal!
    "Non sono in vena" Rodolfo summing up P.B's feelings on his dissertation.

9. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, whaddya know -- this is National Opera Week here in the U.S. of A., according to a missive I received from our local company. Looks like this is something Opera America sponsors annually.
    https://www.operaamerica.org/applica...NOW/index.aspx