Thread: News

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Echo Klassik 2012 Prize for Opera Recording of the Year has been awarded to the Decca recording of Fidelio conducted by Claudio Abbado, with a certain fabulous Bavarian tenor singing the role of Florestan.

Name:  4782551.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  29.8 KB

Said fabulous tenor is also celebrating his 43rd birthday today.

2. Likes Elektra, Aksel liked this post
    Senior Member Veteran Member Aksel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    We can has new Vivaldi opera!

Clickz

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well it's not exactly a new opera, it's just another version of his Orlando Furioso. The journalist has made it sound more unique than it is. Different versions re-worked by composers are a common occurrence in opera. It's nice to have a new autograph from Vivaldi containing a different version of his Orlando, and scholars will have a good time analyzing the differences, but let's not call this a "new" opera.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Almaviva View Post
    Well it's not exactly a new opera, it's just another version of his Orlando Furioso. The journalist has made it sound more unique than it is. Different versions re-worked by composers are a common occurrence in opera. It's nice to have a new autograph from Vivaldi containing a different version of his Orlando, and scholars will have a good time analyzing the differences, but let's not call this a "new" opera.
    Sure. But more Vivaldi is nevertheless a good thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    In rather interesting Bayreuth news:

Russian baritone Evgeny Nitkin, originally scheduled to sing the Dutchman in a new (I think) production of Die Fliegende Hollšnder was fired/pulled out from/of the procudtion yesterday due to a German TV bit in which a swastika tattoo that used to be on his chest during his heavy metal drummer days was mentioned.
    It is also evident that some singers should have someone do their PR for them, as exemplified in this rather wonderful quote:

"I was not aware of the extent of the irritation and offence these signs and symbols would cause, particularly in Bayreuth given the context of the festival's history," Nikitin was quoted as saying by the DPA news agency.
    Clickysource

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aksel View Post
    In rather interesting Bayreuth news:

Russian baritone Evgeny Nitkin, originally scheduled to sing the Dutchman in a new (I think) production of Die Fliegende Hollšnder was fired/pulled out from/of the procudtion yesterday due to a German TV bit in which a swastika tattoo that used to be on his chest during his heavy metal drummer days was mentioned.
    It is also evident that some singers should have someone do their PR for them, as exemplified in this rather wonderful quote:

Clickysource
    uuh duhh, you go around parading your not quite covered up swastika and runes in BAYREUTH for heavens sake and then act surprised when it bites you in the bum!
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    uuh duhh, you go around parading your not quite covered up swastika and runes in BAYREUTH for heavens sake and then act surprised when it bites you in the bum!
    To be fair, the swastika has now been covered up. But to say that he didn't realise that a swastika of all symbols wouldn't cause a controversy at Bayreuth does take a special kind of stupid.

9. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Schigolch
    Perhaps he just thought everyone was used to see swastikas all over the place there...

Now, seriously, the man was really naive, wasn't he?

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    "I was not aware of the extent of the irritation and offence these signs and symbols would cause, particularly in Bayreuth given the context of the festival's history," Nikitin was quoted as saying by the DPA news agency.

Oh yeah, that's really going to make points with the Wagner sisters . . .

Not only naive, but utterly tactless, I'd say.

treemaker
    ???

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by treemaker View Post
    ???
    We don't know either.

Senior Member Top Contributor Member HarpsichordConcerto's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aksel View Post
    We can has new Vivaldi opera!

Clickz
    I think it's a bit of a clever marketing ploy by label NaÔve (recording the complete surviving operas, and other of Vivaldi's works especially the concerti). Scholars already have this earlier version of Orlando Furioso (RV 819) of 1714; the topic of the article, but until recently, its authorship was not fully ascertained, suspecting it might have been Vivaldi revising the work of another composer. So now it appears the scholars are happy to declare it was by Vivaldi. There are no recordings of it. According to the article, NaÔve will release a new world premiere recording of it. Bring it on! I will buy one!

Vivaldi wrote another Orlando Furioso (RV 728) more than ten years later ~1727. This later version shares a similar libretto as the earlier version but the music is completely different (or largely different) according to what I have read. This later version has already been recorded and released by NaÔve and CPO. I have them both. A lovely work, full of rich Vivaldian-dramatic-Italianess.

Finally, to add to the "confusion", Vivaldi wrote another opera using "Orlando" as part of it title, Orlando finto pazzo also of 1714. This is unrelated to both versions above. It appears to be composed before the first Orlando (RV 819), and was rather unpopular, and so Vivaldi wrote RV 819 (or led scholars to hypothesize that RV 819 was a revision of another composer's work). Orlando finto pazzo was been recorded and released by NaÔve.

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anja Harteros cancels Desdemona.

Opinion is divided on Marina Poplavskaya but I'm not an expert on sopranos & have to speak as I find. I love her performance as Elizabeth on the Don Carlo DVD & I saw & loved her Amelia in Simon Boccanegra. She was also very good as Corinna in the recent Il viaggio a Reims.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    Anja Harteros cancels Desdemona.

Opinion is divided on Marina Poplavskaya but I'm not an expert on sopranos & have to speak as I find. I love her performance as Elizabeth on the Don Carlo DVD & I saw & loved her Amelia in Simon Boccanegra. She was also very good as Corinna in the recent Il viaggio a Reims.
    I love Poplavskaya in Otello, I was soon going to post a review of this DVD.....I love it.
    I think ROH actually got an upgrade