Thread: News

          
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #211
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Midwestern U.S.
    Posts
    2,697
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Echo Klassik 2012 Prize for Opera Recording of the Year has been awarded to the Decca recording of Fidelio conducted by Claudio Abbado, with a certain fabulous Bavarian tenor singing the role of Florestan.

    Name:  4782551.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  29.8 KB

    Said fabulous tenor is also celebrating his 43rd birthday today.

  2. Likes Elektra, Aksel liked this post
  3. #212
    Senior Member Veteran Member Aksel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    925
    Post Thanks / Like
    We can has new Vivaldi opera!

    Clickz

  4. #213
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    9,308
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well it's not exactly a new opera, it's just another version of his Orlando Furioso. The journalist has made it sound more unique than it is. Different versions re-worked by composers are a common occurrence in opera. It's nice to have a new autograph from Vivaldi containing a different version of his Orlando, and scholars will have a good time analyzing the differences, but let's not call this a "new" opera.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  5. #214
    Senior Member Veteran Member Aksel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    925
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Almaviva View Post
    Well it's not exactly a new opera, it's just another version of his Orlando Furioso. The journalist has made it sound more unique than it is. Different versions re-worked by composers are a common occurrence in opera. It's nice to have a new autograph from Vivaldi containing a different version of his Orlando, and scholars will have a good time analyzing the differences, but let's not call this a "new" opera.
    Sure. But more Vivaldi is nevertheless a good thing.

  6. #215
    Senior Member Veteran Member Aksel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    925
    Post Thanks / Like
    In rather interesting Bayreuth news:

    Russian baritone Evgeny Nitkin, originally scheduled to sing the Dutchman in a new (I think) production of Die Fliegende Hollšnder was fired/pulled out from/of the procudtion yesterday due to a German TV bit in which a swastika tattoo that used to be on his chest during his heavy metal drummer days was mentioned.
    It is also evident that some singers should have someone do their PR for them, as exemplified in this rather wonderful quote:

    "I was not aware of the extent of the irritation and offence these signs and symbols would cause, particularly in Bayreuth given the context of the festival's history," Nikitin was quoted as saying by the DPA news agency.
    Clickysource

  7. #216
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,487
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aksel View Post
    In rather interesting Bayreuth news:

    Russian baritone Evgeny Nitkin, originally scheduled to sing the Dutchman in a new (I think) production of Die Fliegende Hollšnder was fired/pulled out from/of the procudtion yesterday due to a German TV bit in which a swastika tattoo that used to be on his chest during his heavy metal drummer days was mentioned.
    It is also evident that some singers should have someone do their PR for them, as exemplified in this rather wonderful quote:



    Clickysource
    uuh duhh, you go around parading your not quite covered up swastika and runes in BAYREUTH for heavens sake and then act surprised when it bites you in the bum!
    Natalie

  8. #217
    Senior Member Veteran Member Aksel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    925
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    uuh duhh, you go around parading your not quite covered up swastika and runes in BAYREUTH for heavens sake and then act surprised when it bites you in the bum!
    To be fair, the swastika has now been covered up. But to say that he didn't realise that a swastika of all symbols wouldn't cause a controversy at Bayreuth does take a special kind of stupid.

  9. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
  10. #218
    Schigolch
    Guest
    Perhaps he just thought everyone was used to see swastikas all over the place there...

    Now, seriously, the man was really naive, wasn't he?

  11. #219
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Midwestern U.S.
    Posts
    2,697
    Post Thanks / Like
    "I was not aware of the extent of the irritation and offence these signs and symbols would cause, particularly in Bayreuth given the context of the festival's history," Nikitin was quoted as saying by the DPA news agency.

    Oh yeah, that's really going to make points with the Wagner sisters . . .

    Not only naive, but utterly tactless, I'd say.

  12. #220

  13. #221
    treemaker
    Guest
    ???

  14. #222
    Senior Member Veteran Member Aksel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    925
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by treemaker View Post
    ???
    We don't know either.

  15. #223
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member HarpsichordConcerto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    25 Brook Street, Mayfair (London)
    Posts
    1,125
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aksel View Post
    We can has new Vivaldi opera!

    Clickz
    I think it's a bit of a clever marketing ploy by label NaÔve (recording the complete surviving operas, and other of Vivaldi's works especially the concerti). Scholars already have this earlier version of Orlando Furioso (RV 819) of 1714; the topic of the article, but until recently, its authorship was not fully ascertained, suspecting it might have been Vivaldi revising the work of another composer. So now it appears the scholars are happy to declare it was by Vivaldi. There are no recordings of it. According to the article, NaÔve will release a new world premiere recording of it. Bring it on! I will buy one!

    Vivaldi wrote another Orlando Furioso (RV 728) more than ten years later ~1727. This later version shares a similar libretto as the earlier version but the music is completely different (or largely different) according to what I have read. This later version has already been recorded and released by NaÔve and CPO. I have them both. A lovely work, full of rich Vivaldian-dramatic-Italianess.

    Finally, to add to the "confusion", Vivaldi wrote another opera using "Orlando" as part of it title, Orlando finto pazzo also of 1714. This is unrelated to both versions above. It appears to be composed before the first Orlando (RV 819), and was rather unpopular, and so Vivaldi wrote RV 819 (or led scholars to hypothesize that RV 819 was a revision of another composer's work). Orlando finto pazzo was been recorded and released by NaÔve.

  16. #224
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,632
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anja Harteros cancels Desdemona.

    Opinion is divided on Marina Poplavskaya but I'm not an expert on sopranos & have to speak as I find. I love her performance as Elizabeth on the Don Carlo DVD & I saw & loved her Amelia in Simon Boccanegra. She was also very good as Corinna in the recent Il viaggio a Reims.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

  17. #225
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio USA
    Posts
    1,286
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    Anja Harteros cancels Desdemona.

    Opinion is divided on Marina Poplavskaya but I'm not an expert on sopranos & have to speak as I find. I love her performance as Elizabeth on the Don Carlo DVD & I saw & loved her Amelia in Simon Boccanegra. She was also very good as Corinna in the recent Il viaggio a Reims.
    I love Poplavskaya in Otello, I was soon going to post a review of this DVD.....I love it.
    I think ROH actually got an upgrade


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


free html visitor counters
hit counter




Official Media Partners of Opera Carolina

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Opera Carolina

Official Media Partners of NC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of North Carolina Opera

Official Media Partners of Greensboro Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Greensboro Opera

Official Media Partners of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute and Piedmont Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute
of the University of North Carolina School of the Arts and Piedmont Opera

Official Media Partners of Asheville Lyric Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Asheville Lyric Opera

Official Media Partners of UNC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of UNC Opera
Dept. of Music, UNC-Chapel Hill College of Arts and Sciences

www.operalively.com

VISIT WWW.OPERALIVELY.COM FOR ALL YOUR OPERA NEEDS