Thread: News

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively's Journalist Involved Member Elektra's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Schigolch View Post
    One of the oldest Opera houses in Europe, Barcelona's Liceu, will most probably close two months during the current season, suspending the scheduled performances and freezing all jobs during the closing period, due to financial issues.

http://www.elmundo.es/elmundo/2012/0...326401002.html (in Spanish)
    Problems also in Copenhagen:

A few days ago Keith Warner, with whom I’ve worked at the Theater an der Wien a couple of years ago in his staging of Don Giovanni, and who also staged L’elisir d’amore when I debuted in the USA (I was 22!), asked me to write a note for a benefit concert for the Copenhagen Opera House, currently facing financial difficulties.

Of course I said yes straight away, and Anna also backed me on this because she feels exactly the same, as despite the names that eventually appear on programmes handed to the audience, both Anna and I know that our job is a team effort: no opera production could be complete without excellent chorus artists, technicians and opera house administration staff, all of whom are genuinely regarded as colleagues. In the current, difficult situation they’re going through we can only sympathise and relate to them, of course, standing with them as we’re all on the same side.

Here’s the full text of my note:

«In this global difficult situation, hardship hits everyone. Some of us are more affected, other less, but we all have to face financial restrictions, as individuals and as nations. Cutting funds to culture, though, is not the best way to deal with the problem. Culture, including music, and, of course, opera, is one of the few things that keep a community together in hard times, it’s a way to remember one’s own roots and to hold on to hope for the future.

Opera isn’t just entertainment, opera is part of the European culture and we need to preserve it, passing it on to future generations. Copenhagen Opera have done their best so far to transmit to audiences their love for culture, for music, and have done so wonderfully. What we need to do, now, is to make sure they can continue doing so.

The financial situation is hard, but we need to stand together, close to the opera chorus. Eighteen people of the chorus, twenty technicians and twelve among the administrative staff have already lost their jobs and the opera will have to do without one title in its programme every year due to government cuts. A benefit concert, therefore, is not just to show our support to those people and their colleagues, but also to raise funds to try and save at least a few of those jobs.

This crisis wasn’t caused by us — artists, technicians, staff of opera houses are normal people just like people in the audience, just genuine and enthusiastic music lovers, and unfortunately also victims of the collapse of global markets. But, as John Donne wrote, «No man is an island entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main»: we’re in this together, we will come out of this together, hopefully soon. But for the moment all we can do is stand together, helping each other, and work to try and improve things, one step after another, having culture as our only weapon and each other as our only allies.»
    Erwin Schrott

Senior Member Involved Member CountessAdele's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Nice article on Luca Pisaroni. That boy has his head screwed on right.

Classical singer article
    Thanks for posting this. It makes me feel better about starting to sing "late".
    Only the positive!

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Schigolch View Post
    One of the oldest Opera houses in Europe, Barcelona's Liceu, will most probably close two months during the current season, suspending the scheduled performances and freezing all jobs during the closing period, due to financial issues.

http://www.elmundo.es/elmundo/2012/0...326401002.html (in Spanish)
    Oh! My! God! The Liceu??? I wouldn't expect such a major house to be in trouble! This is really bad!
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Schigolch
    Also Les Arts, in Valencia, is going to close a couple of months.

Difficult times.

Banned Top Contributor Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    They should make free season instead of closing theatre, announce "we have no money to pay Netrebko or Hvorostovsky but all unknown singers, students, are invited to form orchestras and stage crews to fulfill our schleude for free. We can offer no electric light and water in WCs but we have couple of candles and barrels and, hey, we're Liceu theatre after all SO DON'T BE CHOOSY AND COME TO GET YOUR CHACE".
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); January 15th, 2012 at 05:56 PM. Reason: site policy

6. Likes CountessAdele liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Only the positive!

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, that's very nice, it's good to see an opera company thriving and getting better funding in these difficult economic times. I tip my hat to Mr. Gelb.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    Only the positive!

Senior Member Involved Member AnaMendoza's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CountessAdele View Post
    And here's an article telling a little more about the new opera. I confess I like the idea of Rosa Dolorosa, Figlia di Pompei

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is about enough to make me toss my cookies. The January issue of Opera Now includes a feature on some travel companies offering packages centered on opera performances. The section devoted to Liaisons Abroad contains the following quote:

"Our pick of the forthcoming season includes a focus on Andrea Bocelli who appears next month as Romeo in Genoa Opera's Romeo et Juliette at the Teatro Carlo Felice on 24, 26, and 28 February."

In this case, the "forthcoming season" also includes La Scala with a Don Giovanni featuring Bryn Terfel and Anna Netrebko, La Boheme with Vittorio Grigolo and La Bellissima alternating with Draculette; and Rigoletto with Grigolo's Duke. The "forthcoming season" has performances of L'Elisir d'Amore and La Traviata at Venice's La Fenice.

And with this line-up, these custard-heads call Bocelli's appearance in Genoa their pick of the forthcoming season??

To the fine folks at the Genoa Opera House: congratulations on joining the ranks of those who are willing to sacrifice artistic standards in order to pad the bank account.

Post Thanks / Like
    Disgusting. I get angry at this kind of thing as well.

I just came back yesterday from a courageous performance by a small regional opera company, of a contemporary and obscure piece by Philip Glass. The administration of the company knew that the seats wouldn't be filled... and moved the performance to their smallest theater in their performance arts center. Even so, there were still empty seats. But they went ahead and did it.

And then, the result was an *outstanding* performance, crafted together out of their deep love for opera. And we're here in a small metropolitan area in Southern United States.

Meanwhile, in the very heart of Italy, cradle of opera, in Genoa, they go with this fool Andrea Bocelli.

Oh, God.

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    And when opera houses like Genoa engage in this sort of stunt, they give credence to efforts by Bocelli and his management/PR teams to portray him as a bona fide opera singer on the same level as Terfel, La Bellissima, Gheorghiu, and the many other genuine opera singers who have invested years of un-glamorous, hard work in their careers.

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    next

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Incoming Royal Danish Opera conductor Jakub Hrůša and artistic director Keith Warner quit over government cuts.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Post Thanks / Like
    Some recent or not so recent news:
    Maestro Barenboim is now Music Director of La Scala with a contract until 2016.
    Maestro Muti won the $1 million Birgit Nilsson Prize.
    The ROH is doing an exhibition on Joan Sutherland, running until Feb 11.
    The Met is out of the economic crises. They raised $182 million last fiscal year, 50% more than the year before, and a new record for the institution.

Opernwelt Magazine awards:
    - Opera House of the Year: Théâtre Royal de La Monnaie, Brussels
    - Singer of the Year: Johannes Martin Kränzle
    - Premiere of the Year: the Salzburg Festival production of Rihm's Dionysos
    -
    Rediscovery of the Year: David Puntney's production of Weinberg's The Passenger
    -
    Conductor of the Year: Mariss Jansons
    - Director of the Year: Achim Freyer

Gramophone Awards:
    - Opera Prize: Opera Rara's recording of Ermione under David Parry
    - DVD Prize: EMI's Don Carlos from Covent Garden under Pappano
    - Recital Award: Jonas Kaufmann's Decca disc of verismo arias
    - Solo Vocal Award: Gerald Finley for his Britten songs on Hyperion

Calixto Bieito will direct Carmen at ENO in autumn 2012 - oh wow, this is something to keep an eye on, should be outrageous, hehehe

And... a very interesting piece of news: Anna Netrebko La Bellissima will sing her first Wagnerian role: Elsa in Lohengrin in Dresden in 2015
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); January 26th, 2012 at 03:46 PM.