Thread: News

          
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #286
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Midwestern U.S.
    Posts
    2,697
    Post Thanks / Like
    At next year's Salzburg Easter Festival, Wolfgang Koch will be singing the roles of both Amfortas and Klingsor in Parsifal at the request of conductor Christian Thielemann. Other cast members include Johan Botha in the title role, Stephen Milling (Gurnemanz), Michaela Schuster (Kundry), and Milcho Borovinov (Titurel). Michael Schulz will be the director for this co-production with Dresden's Saxon State Opera.

    Speaking of festivals and Wagner, it's been confirmed that Catherine Foster will sing Brünnhilde in Bayreuth's new Ring next summer. Angela Denoke was originally slated for the role(s), but backed out.

  2. #287
    Senior Member Veteran Member Aksel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    925
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    At next year's Salzburg Easter Festival, Wolfgang Koch will be singing the roles of both Amfortas and Klingsor in Parsifal at the request of conductor Christian Thielemann. Other cast members include Johan Botha in the title role, Stephen Milling (Gurnemanz), Michaela Schuster (Kundry), and Milcho Borovinov (Titurel). Michael Schulz will be the director for this co-production with Dresden's Saxon State Opera.

    Speaking of festivals and Wagner, it's been confirmed that Catherine Foster will sing Brünnhilde in Bayreuth's new Ring next summer. Angela Denoke was originally slated for the role(s), but backed out.
    Seriously, there are too many Wagner sopranos with the last name Foster! As far as I know, there are at least three that are having international careers at the moment. It's getting almost impossible to keep track!

  3. Likes MAuer liked this post
  4. #288
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,632
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welsh National Opera receives a gift of $2m & will present a series of modern operas including Usher House by Gordon Getty.

    Not gone down very well amongst some critics. Norman Lebrecht calls it a bribe.

    I've never heard Getty's music so I can't comment.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

  5. #289
    Schigolch
    Guest
    Hmmm, perhaps Mr. Getty will also be interested in funding an Opera site...

  6. #290
    Banned Top Contributor Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,458
    Post Thanks / Like
    What's the big deal

    Some opera houses stage musicals, rent their stages or foyers and do a lot of other stuff for additional money only, nobody makes it a mystery, so why not stage mediocre work when it will help them financially. The only people to complain are probably the singers who will have to work with music they won't find worth of their artistic labor.



    Och, well.

  7. Likes MAuer liked this post
  8. #291
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    9,310
    Post Thanks / Like
    Most, actually almost all large gifts to opera companies come with strings attached. Nothing new here. And precedent exists as well. There's been a rich amateur conductor who hired the New York Philharmonic (and other major orchestras) for him to conduct (with poor results, according to critics).

    Mr. Norman Lebrecht must live in a fantasy world. No opera house in the world would have refused this gift.

    Do I like it? No. Does it represent a breach of artistic integrity? Yes. But the reality is that no opera company would turn down a 2 million gift. Companies operate in the real world, not in an ivory tower. To expect anything different is exceedingly naive.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  9. Likes MAuer liked this post
  10. #292
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    9,310
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Schigolch View Post
    Hmmm, perhaps Mr. Getty will also be interested in funding an Opera site...
    Yep. Let's submit to Mr. Getty the following menu of reviews for his opera:

    "It's OK." - $50,000
    "It's fairly good." - $100,000
    "Recommended to lovers of contemporary opera" - $200,000
    "Recommended to all opera lovers" - $350,000
    "Highly Recommended" - $500,000

    Mr. Getty, if you're reading this, use our Donate button and according to the amount deposited, you'll get one of the ratings above.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  11. #293
    Senior Member Veteran Member Aksel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    925
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Almaviva View Post
    Mr. Norman Lebrecht must live in a fantasy world. No opera house in the world would have refused this gift.
    He does. Have you read his blog? It's exceedingly cute.

  12. #294
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,488
    Post Thanks / Like
    New Zealand Opera have just announced their 2013 season.

    Here is the lineup:

    Don Giovanni
    Madama Butterfly
    The Flying Dutchman

    and, in the middle of bleeding nowhere, in a woolshed, on another island, that I probably can't get to, Acis and Galatea.

    So it's an improvement in that we've gone from two to three main operas, and one of them is Wagner, but I'm still pretty underwhelmed.
    Natalie

  13. #295
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member HarpsichordConcerto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    25 Brook Street, Mayfair (London)
    Posts
    1,125
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    New Zealand Opera have just announced their 2013 season.

    Here is the lineup:

    Don Giovanni
    Madama Butterfly
    The Flying Dutchman

    and, in the middle of bleeding nowhere, in a woolshed, on another island, that I probably can't get to, Acis and Galatea.

    So it's an improvement in that we've gone from two to three main operas, and one of them is Wagner, but I'm still pretty underwhelmed.
    Must be the first ever production of Acis and Galatea in the southern hemisphere?

  14. #296
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,488
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HarpsichordConcerto View Post
    Must be the first ever production of Acis and Galatea in the southern hemisphere?
    Probably. It seems to be some kind of attempt to emulate Glyndebourne.

    I've also just realised that Don Giovanni is only in Christchurch. I'd go, but I'm scared that just as the commendatore drags the Don to hell there's another earthquake and the whole damn theatre gets sucked down as well.
    Natalie

  15. Likes MAuer liked this post
  16. #297
    Schigolch
    Guest
    It's rather unusual that such a rich country would stage so few operas in a season.

  17. #298
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,488
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Schigolch View Post
    It's rather unusual that such a rich country would stage so few operas in a season.
    Yes, it's a poor showing. But there is not much interest here at all. NZ is an obsessively sports-orientated country with limited appreciation for the arts or culture - I'd say these are viewed with some suspicion as being rather highbrow.
    Natalie

  18. #299
    Schigolch
    Guest
    Well, I can count myself as one of those obsessively sports-orientated guys, and that's no impediment for watching Opera.

  19. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
  20. #300
    Junior Member Recent member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    20
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Almaviva View Post
    Yep. Let's submit to Mr. Getty the following menu of reviews for his opera:

    "It's OK." - $50,000
    "It's fairly good." - $100,000
    "Recommended to lovers of contemporary opera" - $200,000
    "Recommended to all opera lovers" - $350,000
    "Highly Recommended" - $500,000

    Mr. Getty, if you're reading this, use our Donate button and according to the amount deposited, you'll get one of the ratings above.
    everything is for sale! ;-)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


free html visitor counters
hit counter




Official Media Partners of Opera Carolina

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Opera Carolina

Official Media Partners of NC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of North Carolina Opera

Official Media Partners of Greensboro Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Greensboro Opera

Official Media Partners of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute and Piedmont Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute
of the University of North Carolina School of the Arts and Piedmont Opera

Official Media Partners of Asheville Lyric Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Asheville Lyric Opera

Official Media Partners of UNC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of UNC Opera
Dept. of Music, UNC-Chapel Hill College of Arts and Sciences

www.operalively.com

VISIT WWW.OPERALIVELY.COM FOR ALL YOUR OPERA NEEDS