Thread: News

Bookmark and Share
    Member Recent member Sherlock Hamlet's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.gramophone.co.uk/classica...ritten-in-2013

Hmmm...well, I won't be listening to the Wagner ones--sorry, being a Jew, his Anti-Semetism DOES just ruin it for me, plus his attacks on Mendelssohn and the fact he's a bit too sexist and bombastic for my tastes, but I digress--but the Verdi ones should be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Tardis View Post
    I think DonGiovanni already mentioned it in the complete opera thread but thespace has an on-demand recording of the stream as well.
    http://thespace.org/items/e0001grq?t=42hy

The 4th, Tom Baker. The man has style.
    That'd be my favorite as well--he also played Sherlock Holmes once, and it shows in the 4th Doctor...

He's like a mix between Sherlock Holmes and Willy Wonka--a mixture for mastery!
    "There are more things in heaven and earth then are dreamt of in your philosophy" --Hamlet

Schigolch
    Fort Worth Opera to Present JFK Assassination Opera:

http://opera.broadwayworld.com/artic...-2016-20130111

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Exciting new productions coming to the Royal Opera House in the next several years:

http://www.roh.org.uk/news/royal-ope...-for-2013-2020
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

4. Thanks emiellucifuge thanked for this post
    Senior Member Involved Member Nervous Gentleman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    As reported by biographer René Seghers at Opera Share, Loretta Corelli, "wife and vocal coach of Franco," has passed away.

http://www.francocorelli.nl/index.ph...&catid=1:front

Senior Member Involved Member Tardis's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't know if this is old news or not, but the Met are planning to stage the Three Queens trilogy in 2015/2016. Sondra Radvanovsky is going to be singing in all three of them. She mentioned it in her recent interview.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tardis View Post
    Don't know if this is old news or not, but the Met are planning to stage the Three Queens trilogy in 2015/2016. Sondra Radvanovsky is going to be singing in all three of them. She mentioned it in her recent interview.
    Hm...I've not heard much Donizetti, actually...

But as you can tell from my name, I LOVE the English Renaissance, so that certainly sounds interesting, and a whole trilogy to boot...
    "There are more things in heaven and earth then are dreamt of in your philosophy" --Hamlet

Post Thanks / Like
    (As a side note, does anyone else find it interesting that, historically, England and Italy seem to have a thing for each other, artistically?

Shakespeare sets so many plays in Italy/an Italy stand-in/Roman times, Donizetti has these operas, Verdi has his Shakespeare operas...and so on...

They DO seem to historically complement one another artistically, and very nicely too, I think--T.S. Eliot said that he felt the world of poetry was split evenly between Shakespeare and Dante in terms of dominance, saying "there is no third;" I personally think Homer would qualify as a third on par with those two, but regardless, I love English-language literature first and foremost among all the great literary traditions, and while classical music on the whole is a closer ballgame, between Mozart's Italian operas, Verdi, and Puccini alone I suppose I'd say Italian-language opera is my favorite as well...

And my first Shakespeare professor, who'd immigrated here from England, had an Italian husband.

So there DOES seem to be something between the two cultures that just works...thoughts?)

9. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Banned Top Contributor Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock Hamlet View Post
    As a side note, does anyone else find it interesting that, historically, England and Italy seem to have a thing for each other, artistically?
    I think there is no considerable connection that would prove anything like "having a thing for each other, artistically". Particularly the musical idioms of both countires differ greatly, actually I can hardly think of greater European gap between two national musical temperaments.

Donizetti has these operas, Verdi has his Shakespeare operas...and so on...
    Not much, actually. If Italian opera composers had favourite place to set their great works in, it was be Spain, not England.

I guess that you just like England and want to connect it to Italians, since they are the best. No way.

11. Likes Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like the part about the Italians being the best...
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Senior Member Top Contributor Member HarpsichordConcerto's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    During the Baroque, upper-class English gentlemen went for the Grand Tour, which was essentially a trip to continental Europe especially Italy to "see and learn" from the artistic capital of the world at the time, Italy. Many of them imported back to England Italian artistic creations and indeed Italian opera seria, although it was Handel who was the first to introduce the form in England.

14. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Sherlock Hamlet;23997 And my first Shakespeare professor, who'd immigrated here from England, had an Italian husband.

So there DOES seem to be something between the two cultures that just works...thoughts?) [/QUOTE]

One of the members of the English department at my alma mater was of Italian background, as was his wife, and both were serious opera lovers. (Though she once told him that, if he ever made her sit through the Ring again, she'd divorce him. )

Schigolch
    The Blind Opera Singer Who More Should Hear:

http://www.advocate.com/print-issue/...re-should-hear

Senior Member Involved Member Tardis's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Before clicking on the article, I was almost afraid this was going to be an article on Andrea Bocelli.

Quote Originally Posted by Schigolch View Post
    The Blind Opera Singer Who More Should Hear:

http://www.advocate.com/print-issue/...re-should-hear

18. Likes MAuer, Aksel liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Coming up in 2013/2104 at the Barbican.

clicky

It looks exciting on paper but I think the Barbican lacks atmosphere.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I saw Jessye Norman sing 'Kindertotenlieder' at the Barbican in the mid 1980s. The Barbican is a serviceable venue, but having stumbled on that recital, I didn't much care about the setting.

21. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post