Thread: News

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Simon Keenlyside cancels all Le nozze performances.

Gutted.

He cancelled all Un ballo in maschera in Vienna as well so getting quite worried about his health now.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    Simon Keenlyside cancels all Le nozze performances.

Gutted.

He cancelled all Un ballo in maschera in Vienna as well so getting quite worried about his health now.
    Yes, that reference to "illness" is so vague that one imagines all sorts of terrible things. I hope there will be more reassuring information available soon.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    Can't remember - did you have tickets?
    Natalie

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    Yes, that reference to "illness" is so vague that one imagines all sorts of terrible things. I hope there will be more reassuring information available soon.
    I agree. I understand he's going to put a message on SKInfo soon.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Senior Member Involved Member jflatter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The very much underrated soprano Elizabeth Connell has died. I only saw her sing Turandot three years or so and she was amazing. Moreso given the fact she was a very late replacement for Irene Theorin. Here is a clip as tribute.

Senior Member Involved Member CountessAdele's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Only the positive!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jflatter View Post
    The very much underrated soprano Elizabeth Connell has died. I only saw her sing Turandot three years or so and she was amazing. Moreso given the fact she was a very late replacement for Irene Theorin. Here is a clip as tribute.

A very sad loss, indeed.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some interesting news from the latest issue of Opera News Magazine:

- New York City Opera seems to be bouncing back from financial crisis; at least, if we can believe George Steel, its manager and artistic director who wrote a vehement letter to the Editor complaining of the recent article that made it sound like they were about to die. They have concluded their labor negotiations and their season is proceeding.

- Danielle de Niese is making a company and role debut as Norina in Don Pasquale at San Diego Opera.

- Montserrat Caballé celebrated her fiftieh anniversary of her company debut with Gran Teatro del Liceu.

- Excellent bass-baritone Thomas Quasthoff, a leading lieder singer, is retiring due to health concerns.

- Gotham Opera, the small New York City company, is going strong, celebrating its first ten years of life by reviving their very first production, Il Sogno di Scipione.

- The Opera News Magazine review of Anna Netrebko's performance of Dona Anna in Don Giovanni at La Scala is very favorable, unlike others that have criticized La Bellissima. The reviews loved her Anna Bolena DVD as well (with Elina Garanca).

- The reviewers went berserk about Zurich Opera's Palestrina, in modern-day dressing. I usually don't like most productions coming from Zurich, but now I'm curious to see this one, if it comes out in video.

- Joseph Calleja's CD The Maltese Tenor was picked by the magazine as this month's Critic's Choice.

- Gushing praise for Les Arts Florissant's staging of Lully's Atys, now available on video.

- Another blu-ray very much appreciated by the reviewers is the new La Traviata from ArtHaus from Oper Graz. Marlis Petersen, their Violetta, is said to be as riveting as Teresa Stratas or Anna Netrebko (hmm... really?). However there are some outrageous cuts and the opera was reduced to 107 minutes, not a good sign.

- Interesting: a 3-DVD compilation of the music of Aaron Copland is now available.

- A book that may be worth purchasing: The Cambridge Companion to Richard Strauss. Cambridge University Press, 340 pp., $22.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

9. Thanks CountessAdele, Soave_Fanciulla thanked for this post
    Schigolch
    The magazine Gramophone is selecting a Classical Music Hall of Fame, and asking for a vote.

In this page we can see the list of singers nominated:

http://gramophone.co.uk/editorial/gr...f-fame-singers

11. Likes MAuer, CountessAdele liked this post
    Banned Top Contributor Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Met will have another Comte Ory with Flórez at the beginning of 2013. But without Damrau. Disaster? No, she shall be replaced by Machaidze. The only lack in comparison to recent, famous version is absence of DiDonato but I've never heard the mezzo that will sing Isolier in 2013 so I can't tell. If the world won't end this year and I will earn fortune on my music soon enough I may be there.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, wasn't 2013 the time for the planned TC convention? Many of the people willing to attend have joined OL, so there is no reason not to organize the OL convention, so maybe we'll do it around that time and you'll be able to see JDF.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Schigolch
    The next baritone role for Plácido Domingo will be Francesco Foscari, the dogo of Venice, in Verdi's early masterpiece I Due Foscari. He will sing the opera in Los Angeles

I just can't help but praise Mr. Domingo's taste, the role is indeed fantastic. One example with Leo Nucci:

Senior Member Veteran Member Aksel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not news exactly, but I guess we are some members who will take interest.

Possibility of JK in his birthday suit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aksel View Post
    Not news exactly, but I guess we are some members who will take interest.

Possibility of JK in his birthday suit.
    Talk about a sold-out performance! Talk about YouTube videos!

This news will no doubt be of interest to the likes of Calixto Bieito and Martin Kusej, among others.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any chance that Anna Netrebko will say the same? [Alma, hopeful]