Banned Top Contributor Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tardis View Post
    Happy birthday, Mr. Domingo.
    Thanks

3. Likes Aksel liked this post
    Senior Member Involved Member Tardis's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Canadian Opera Company announced their 2013-2014 season recently.
    http://www.coc.ca/PerformancesAndTic...314Season.aspx

5. Thanks Ann Lander (sospiro) thanked for this post
    Likes MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Canadian Opera Company announced their 2013-2014 season recently.
    http://www.coc.ca/PerformancesAndTic...314Season.aspx
    I think it's time to start a 2013/2014 season thread
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not sure how many vocal students are reading this site, but Joyce DiDonato is hosting a master class at Julliard at 4 PM tomorrow.
    It's going to be streamed through their website.
    clicky

8. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Banned Top Contributor Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am not sure how many vocal students are reading this site, but Joyce DiDonato is hosting a master class at Julliard at 4 PM tomorrow.
    It's going to be streamed through their website.
    clicky
    Nice, but 4.25 there's Bold and Beautiful and exciting stuff going currently... Stephanie gets back to Forrester Creations and the new geezer wants revange... not sure if I love all this opera stuff to give up on that and go watch Joyce coaching singers... actually, today and yesterday I've listened to some instrumental stuff... no opera in 4-5 days, dig it, I may not love it at all, not anymore, it's very much for the deeper knowledge geezers to watch stuff like that and I don't even listen to operas let alone masterclasses, I need to rethink my life I can't write operas of I don't even listen to them what can I do with my life I could be hair geezer a flowerlike maiden would come to my saloon wanting hairdo for her wedding and I would think it's my goal in life to make her beautiful hair for her wedding I would do a masterpiece on her head and feel fulfilled I would then be invited to the wedding and it would turn out she loves me not her spouse so we would fight and he would die and I would feel guilty I would devote myself to my trade I would make 32955643 hairsdos per day for free everybody would want to me to touch their hair and I myself would walk around uncombed and bearded like heremit finally the geezer I killed would appear to me as ghost and say I made enough great hairstyles for free and I'm forgiven and atoned then I would marry the flowerlike maiden and be happy but then again I think these operas still set me on, not bad thing, geezers in customes singing to each other, whose idea is that, I don't know, I like it, it inspires me better than hair.................. I may try that masterclass after all............

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^ There's your next opera right there.

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel like I am reading Finnegans Wake.

12. Likes AnaMendoza liked this post
    Schigolch
    Should public money goes to Opera or Football?.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/b...ubs-going-bust

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's an interesting subject. I'm a baseball fan (Washington Nationals, of course!), though not a huge sports fan overall. Without going into too much detail, the team, which is fairly new to DC, would only come to the city if the DC government first agreed to build them a new stadium. The stadium was built at a cost of about $700 million, and the team settled in DC.

This is a common practice in the bigger cities across the country. Sometimes these sports investments pay off in improvements to underdeveloped areas of cities with few good prospects (like here in DC), but most times the economic assumptions prove to be overly optimistic and, if the teams don't win, local interest wanes (see: Miami Marlins). Stadium building at local expense is an outrageous practice, but voters like the potential morale boost and increase in local prestige, so don't seem to mind spending the huge amounts required.

At the same time, while local governments do have arts budgets, it is a pittance, and typically one of the first budget cuts made during economic downturns. Huge sports spending? Ok. Decent arts spending (much less on opera)? Good luck with that here.

Post Thanks / Like
    NYCO auctions off their warehouse props.
    http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/inde..._york_cit.html

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    This was a scary incident involving the Chicago Lyric Opera's production of Meistersinger yesterday that showed up in the news this morning:

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...ing-opera?lite

I'm heading to Chicago next week to see this production (joint production with Glyndebourne).

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    This was a scary incident involving the Chicago Lyric Opera's production of Meistersinger yesterday that showed up in the news this morning:

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...ing-opera?lite

I'm heading to Chicago next week to see this production (joint production with Glyndebourne).
    Yes I read about that & hope the guy makes a complete recovery. The directors do ask a lot of artists.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Senior Member Veteran Member Aksel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds to me like that is an occupational hazard of those who make a living blowing fire. It's of course very sad it happened, but it's not very surprising.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Grammy 2013

Best Opera Recording

Nominations:

Berg: Lulu - Michael Boder, conductor; Paul Groves, Ashley Holland, Julia Juon & Patricia Petibon; Johannes Müller, producer (Symphony Orchestra Of The Gran Teatre Del Liceu)

Handel: Agrippina - René Jacobs, conductor; Marcos Fink, Sunhae Im, Bejun Mehta, Alexandrina Pendatchanska & Jennifer Rivera (Akademie Für Alte Musik Berlin)

Stravinsky: The Rake's Progress - Vladimir Jurowski, conductor; Topi Lehtipuu, Miah Persson & Matthew Rose; Johannes Müller, producer (London Philharmonic Orchestra; Glyndebourne Chorus)

Vivaldi: Teuzzone - Jordi Savall, conductor; Delphine Galou, Paolo Lopez, Roberta Mameli, Raffaella Milanesi & Furio Zanasi (Le Concert Des Nations)

Wagner: Der Ring Des Nibelungen - James Levine & Fabio Luisi, conductors; Hans-Peter König, Jay Hunter Morris, Bryn Terfel & Deborah Voigt; Jay David Saks, producer (The Metropolitan Opera Orchestra; The Metropolitan Opera Chorus)

----------

Winner:

Met's Ring

-----------

Best Classical Vocal Solo

Debussy: Clair De Lune - Natalie Dessay (Henri Chalet; Philippe Cassard, Karine Deshayes & Catherine Michel; Le Jeune Coeur De Paris)

Homecoming: Kansas City Symphony Presents Joyce DiDonato - Joyce DiDonato (Michael Stern; Kansas City Symphony)

Paris Days, Berlin Nights - Ute Lemper (Stefan Malzew & Vogler Quartet)

Počmes - Renée Fleming (Alan Gilbert & Seiji Ozawa; Orchestre National De France & Orchestre Philharmonique De Radio France)

Sogno Barocco - Anne Sofie Von Otter (Leonardo García Alarcón; Sandrine Piau & Susanna Sundberg; Ensemble Cappella Mediterranea)

---------

Winner:

Renée Fleming
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

20. Thanks MAuer thanked for this post