Thread: News

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Almaviva View Post
    I actually am less convinced of Domingo's failures at his advanced age. I heard a radio broadcast of La Traviata at the Met when he was Papa Germont and was actually sorry for him, he didn't sound right. Then I saw the same show live, and was *very* impressed with Domingo. I think the old guy still got it. There is something to be said about watching live a living legend, and regardless of an aging voice, he is still impressive, and very experienced of course, so he does know how to compensate for his shortcomings.
    I can think of a couple scences in Trovatore where Domingo (Di Luna) and Kaufmann (Manrico) will face off with each other fighting over Leonora (Netrebko) where the age difference will just not look right......act 1 garden fight and act 2 convent fight, Domingo will look like her father or even grandfather compared to the dashing young Jonas Kaufmann

Soave has a point, Domingo is visually too old for Di Luna

On the flip side MN Lemieux will look too young to be Azucena, but we can live with that

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My problem is not that I think Domingo can't hack it at all, as he can still sound pretty good (although I think he probably has good days and bad ones, I've heard some wobbly arias recently too). But he simply doesn't sound like a baritone, and this is an opera where I think you really want well-defined voice types.
    Natalie

Schigolch
    That's exactly the problem. I don't care at all about any 'visual' thing, the real issue is that Mr. Domingo is not a baritone, it's just a senior tenor.

4. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    So there will be a "baritone" di Luna who sounds like a tenor, and a tenor Manrico with baritonal shadings in his voice. Brothers, indeed.

6. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I went and saw the ROH Nabucco recently, and of course Domingo was in the title role. I have to say that he did an excellent job, even though it is a baritone role--he and Monastyrska really made this production, so much so that I had to see it a second time which I did. I would not count Domingo out of baritone roles. I think we will be seeing him in many more. It's not only his stage presence. I believe that Pappano has a lot of artistic and musical integrity. He really held off on putting on Nabucco for years until he thought he had the right soprano in Monastyrska, who would be able to handle Abigaille's high tessitura--he wouldn't have cast Domingo as Nabucco unless he thought the guy had the chops for it and would make a good dramatic baritone and not spoil things--he wouldn't have done it for Domingo's stage presence alone! (Just one opinion)

8. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The ROH Nabucco was really well done - I thought the modern staging was terrific, and the singing top notch. TL is right that Monastyrska was a super Abigaille - not an easy task.

Domingo is an interesting case. In the years that he was in charge of the Washington National Opera, I saw him sing in one production a year, along with conducting once a year (over some 10 years, I think). Among other roles, I saw him sing Siegmund twice - with ease - and a Parsifal that was so good it's hard to imagine the role better sung than that - a completely satisfying, if not thrilling, performance and production. TL is right about his stage presence - Domingo remains very self assured and commanding - he sure knows his way around a stage and how to interact with the other singers. I have to say that I wasn't crazy about his Nabucco, however. I've maybe listened to my Gardelli conducted Nabucco cd with Tito Gobbi and Elena Suliotis too many times, and can only hear Gobbi's low bass in my head - Domingo's voice just came across as too light for my taste. Domingo, however, has my undying admiration for being one of the most disciplined men on the planet. His voice may not be what it was, but at age 72, he keeps on learning new roles and trying out new territory - he keeps on going.

10. Thanks tyroneslothrop thanked for this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    The ROH Nabucco was really well done - I thought the modern staging was terrific, and the singing top notch. TL is right that Monastyrska was a super Abigaille - not an easy task.
    Salgo Gia

12. Likes tyroneslothrop, Hoffmann, MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    La Scala is cutting back for 2013/14.

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw a recital at the Kennedy Center this afternoon with pianist Markus Groh. There isn't really a place for non-operatic performance reviews, and normally I wouldn't mention it, but he played a really terrific Hindemith Piano Sonata #3 this afternoon that was thrilling. I tend to turn my nose up to modern music, but was riveted.

Maybe I'll have to take a closer look at the Hindemith operas

15. Likes tyroneslothrop liked this post
    Schigolch
    There are two of them I'm particularly fond of: Cardillac and Mathis der Maler. Great stuff.

17. Likes Hoffmann, tyroneslothrop liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    British conductor Robin Ticciati has walked out of Zurich Opera's new production of Don Giovanni. (I was going to see this but cancelled my trip for other reasons)

click
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Schigolch View Post
    There are two of them I'm particularly fond of: Cardillac and Mathis der Maler. Great stuff.
    Thanks for your recommendation for a Pelleas - That recording looks like a real classic. I'll look for these as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    British conductor Robin Ticciati has walked out of Zurich Opera's new production of Don Giovanni. (I was going to see this but cancelled my trip for other reasons)

click
    Sebastian Baumgarten strikes again. This is the same director whose Bayreuth production of Tannhäuser, with its suggestion of gas chambers (even before the recent controversial Düsseldorf staging), was so offensive to many people that conductor Christian Thielemann and the soloists wouldn't even acknowledge Baumgarten during the curtain call. His recent Bremen production of Der Freischütz was also panned by the critics. I wonder why opera houses keep hiring the guy.

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    Sebastian Baumgarten strikes again. This is the same director whose Bayreuth production of Tannhäuser, with its suggestion of gas chambers (even before the recent controversial Düsseldorf staging), was so offensive to many people that conductor Christian Thielemann and the soloists wouldn't even acknowledge Baumgarten during the curtain call. His recent Bremen production of Der Freischütz was also panned by the critics. I wonder why opera houses keep hiring the guy.
    More here
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

22. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The recent ROH Don Carlo with Sir Tony Pappano conducting the Jonas and Anja Harteros is among European opera performances included in "The World of Opera" broadcasts this summer on some U.S. radio stations. The program web site lists the stations that are carrying this program (my local classical station, WGUC, is unfortunately not among them.).

http://worldofopera.org/operas/coming-up