Thread: News

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tyroneslothrop View Post
    Terrence Blanchard composes his first (jazz) opera.

Can't wait for some clips to make it to youtube since I'd like to see how this turned out!
    Nice. I met Mr. Blanchard in person some three months ago during a gala dinner and we had a chat about his new opera. I asked if he'd like to grant Opera Lively an interview and he said an enthusiastic "yes." Then I didn't pursue it (I've been really tired of the interview business and struggling to reconnect and restart - better proof, I still have two interviews that I recorded two months ago and haven't even started transcribing yet). Now I regret that I didn't. Maybe I should try again... or... not...
    Tired...

Oh well, after this big break I've been giving myself, at some point I *will* restart.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    A new opera about Thatcher and Pinochet. Interesting that the article doesn't name the composer and librettist. I guess that wasn't important to anyone at the Telegraph.

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    A new opera about Thatcher and Pinochet. Interesting that the article doesn't name the composer and librettist. I guess that wasn't important to anyone at the Telegraph.
    I'm guessing Esteban Buch is the director of the production.

treemaker
    HERE Seattle Times article: Seattle Opera announces who is replacing Speight Jenkins.

5. Likes tyroneslothrop liked this post
    Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by treemaker View Post
    HERE Seattle Times article: Seattle Opera announces who is replacing Speight Jenkins.
    and here is an interesting comment on Speight Jenkins.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    and here is an interesting comment on Speight Jenkins.
    This comment sounds so mean, trying to find conflict where maybe there is none! Of course an institution of the size and importance of Seattle Opera can benefit from this transition and there is no indication that Mr. Jenkins will try to sabotage Mr. Lang.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Almaviva View Post
    This comment sounds so mean, trying to find conflict where maybe there is none! Of course an institution of the size and importance of Seattle Opera can benefit from this transition and there is no indication that Mr. Jenkins will try to sabotage Mr. Lang.
    When I read it, the Parterre Box came immediately to mind!

Staff Writer & Reviewer - Life-time Donor Veteran Member Jephtha's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I read it, the Parterre Box came immediately to mind!
    Yes, and the writer sounds so megalomaniacal! He behaves as if the website is the prime mover behind all operatic business in the USA.
    How far that little candle throws his beams!
    So shines a good deed in a naughty world.

The Merchant of Venice, V, i.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jephtha View Post
    Yes, and the writer sounds so megalomaniacal! He behaves as if the website is the prime mover behind all operatic business in the USA.
    This kind of poisonous speech often comes together with narcissistic traits. Arrogant people are often nasty about other people. Whoever owns this blog most likely has done a lot less for opera than Mr. Jenkins. The gratuitous and speculative attack is telling.

When Paul says bad things about Peter, we often learn more about Paul than about Peter.

12. Likes Jephtha, MAuer, Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't bother to read what the blogger said but I did click the link and was not surprised about who came up, in view of your comments above.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    "At one point on Tuesday night, protesters tried to break into the Municipal Theater, where operagoers were watching Stravinsky’s Rake’s Progress. The doors to the elegant theater remained shut and as the show went on, they spray-painted the outside of the recently renovated structure with the words 'Set Fire to the Bourgeoisie.'”

I guess Adorno was right. Opera *is* bourgeois entertainment!

16. Likes Jephtha, MAuer liked this post
    Schigolch
    Alida Ferrarini, dead at 67:

Post Thanks / Like
    Sign of the times? Read the last line of this announcement, by a local public radio station:

"In the last year, WFDD's overall audience has nearly doubled; however, some programs have seen a decline in listening. 88.5 WFDD has been carefully looking at audience ratings from Arbitron, which reveal that many listeners are simply turning off WFDD on Saturday afternoons and listening is spotty on Sunday afternoons.

Therefore WFDD is changing its programming schedule on Saturday and Sunday to better serve our audience. All of the changes take effect July 1, 2013.

Saturday:

Radiolab @ 1pm
    Ted Radio Hour @ 2pm
    The Dinner Party Download @ 3pm
    Marketplace Money @ 4pm
    Jazz programming expands to begin at 8pm.

WFDD will no longer carry the Metropolitan Opera broadcasts on Saturday."