Thread: News

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Almaviva View Post
    "WFDD will no longer carry the Metropolitan Opera broadcasts on Saturday."
    I'd be curious to know if this indicates some real drop in opera popularity, or is more about an audience shift to other opera media (CDs, DVDs, YouTube, live video streaming, etc.).

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post
    I'd be curious to know if this indicates some real drop in opera popularity, or is more about an audience shift to other opera media (CDs, DVDs, YouTube, live video streaming, etc.).
    That's a reassuring thought.
    Still, you know, these Saturday afternoon broadcasts from the Met do have the current productions and the current singers; most people who are really into opera do appreciate listening to these things, so, if the number of listeners is dropping, it is a bit concerning.

It could be just a local phenomenon, though. This is a station from a small metropolitan area, and it's a city in which opera is not doing well. I attended a production there and they barely had 200 people in attendance, and their company is the one in most financial trouble in the state.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I suspect you are right. Listening to opera for me is not something I can often extract the time from other commitments to do at one sitting, so I never listen to opera on our local station, even broadcasts with good singers, since I'm usually pretty sure I can catch the same performance on a more user-friendly medium.
    Natalie

4. Likes Amfortas liked this post
    Junior Member Recent member
    Post Thanks / Like

Visual era

I think that younger generations prefer to watch opera rather than just listen to it. I guess there hasn't been a research into it, but I'd like to see if there's an increase in number of YouTube opera/aria videos posted in recent years and increase in views of those videos.
    On the other hand, it's bad if newcomers only watch YT videos; sound quality is lower and they tend to listen to it via monitor or desktop speakers which might make some conclude that Katherine Jenkins compares well with opera singers.

Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Davor View Post
    On the other hand, it's bad if newcomers only watch YT videos; sound quality is lower and they tend to listen to it via monitor or desktop speakers which might make some conclude that Katherine Jenkins compares well with opera singers.
    She doesn't?

7. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tyroneslothrop View Post
    She doesn't?
    Tyrone, stop it, the new member will get the wrong idea about Opera Lively!

Although, I must say, Ms. Jenkins does compare well with many opera singers... in the matter of looks.
    If only she kept her mouth shut... she'd be great for silent roles!
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

9. Likes MAuer, tyroneslothrop liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Although, I must say, Ms. Jenkins does compare well with many opera singers... in the matter of looks.
    Really Alma? She looks entirely artificial to me, surgery and make-up! Like a cross between Barbie and something you'd blow up.
    Natalie

11. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro), Jephtha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Artificial or not, in purely aesthetic terms, the result is good-looking. It's a matter of sexual orientation, dear.

Remember that thread where we posted some half-naked pictures of Ms. Jenkins? All the heterosexual boys were drooling. There is no doubt that she currently has a beautiful body and a pretty face, regardless of how she went about acquiring them. And I said "compare well with *many* opera singers" - not *all* opera singers [Dear Anna, don't worry, I still find you prettier!]. So, let's compare her to esteemed Ms. Caballé, provided that they are both with their mouths shut, that is - on looks only. Well, Ms. Jenkins wins. If they start singing, thought, Ms. Caballé blows Ms. Jenkins out of the theater, sure. But that's not what we're talking about, here.

13. Likes tyroneslothrop liked this post
    Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Artificial or not, in purely aesthetic terms, the result is good-looking.
    A little off topic, but do you think that she's had anything other than Botox? Do you have any colleagues that might have an opinion? About 12 months ago, I was at a group dinner and talking to a plastic surgeon and he was saying that she doesn't show any of the usual signs of implants, so his opinion was she was natural assisted by well-chosen undergarments.

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, this is just weird:
    Opera Singers Will Perform To Babies

Post Thanks / Like
    Te Kanawa is acerbic but her observations are right on the money!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Staff Writer & Reviewer - Life-time Donor Veteran Member Jephtha's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Te Kanawa is acerbic but her observations are right on the money!
    Reading between the lines, it seems that she may have been irritated with her interviewer. Such comments as 'You insult me...', 'Let's get off that subject' and 'We should talk about serious classical singers if you want to stick to the subject' imply that she felt the interviewer was less than professional. Or she may simply have been caught on a bad day. It is hard to believe that she would have made such remarks if her rapport with the interviewer had been acceptable.
    How far that little candle throws his beams!
    So shines a good deed in a naughty world.

The Merchant of Venice, V, i.

Post Thanks / Like
    A little off topic, but do you think that she's had anything other than Botox? Do you have any colleagues that might have an opinion? About 12 months ago, I was at a group dinner and talking to a plastic surgeon and he was saying that she doesn't show any of the usual signs of implants, so his opinion was she was natural assisted by well-chosen undergarments.
    Well, I think I'll be able to pass better judgment if Ms. Jenkins agrees with some close examination of those cough cough assets - a requirement is that the view will not be obstructed by any items of clothing. Palpation may also be required. Since you're asking the question and therefore you're presumably interested in the outcome, would you make the arrangements, please? I'll travel anywhere, and any time that is convenient for her will be good.

21. Likes tyroneslothrop liked this post