Thread: News

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Yes you are right. My sympathies are more with the mezzo, who kind of does a double take at the sight of the new dude, and then keep on singing gallantly.

Wow. I'm impressed. That understudy reacted quickly. He didn't miss a beat!

I guess that any future understudies of Roberto will know they should be dressed when waiting off-stage!

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tyroneslothrop View Post
    I guess that any future understudies of Roberto will know they should be dressed when waiting off-stage!
    To be fair, Alagna seems to have gotten his act together professionally since then.

Where these recent allegations leave him is anybody's guess.

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Which immediately made me think of this rather extreme and extraordinary case. But yes, I agree. If it can be proven to have no basis, especially definitively, then yes, she will be the one to suffer the consequences.
    I'm not so sure. I think that if their singing is top notch (not necessarily a given) they will be/should be forgiven their domestic squabbles. Shameful though it may be, I would still go and hear either of them sing if they were to be cast in a Washington National Opera production. This statement, however, should in no way be interpreted as my ignoring or approving of domestic violence. But, whomever is at fault, with appropriate public apologies, they should be forgiven with their careers left intact.

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am glad to hear about the Stravinsky Festival at Bard College. I am currently in Kingston, NY for my nephew's birthday, which is about 15 minutes from my sister's house. If I get a ticket for Oresteia, I'm guessing that it's probably not a good first opera for my sister and brother in law to join me ..

Junior Member Newcomer
    Post Thanks / Like
    What was that? Was that Natalie?

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnaMysteriosa View Post
    What was that? Was that Natalie?
    I don't think I get what your question is about. Anyway, welcome to Opera Lively.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hm... interesting, the first reaction was against her, not him. This critic seems to believe that slapping one's wife is OK.
    True or not, I think, all things considered, that all this circus damages both singers' careers. We opera lovers prefer our melodrama on stage, not off stage. At least, I hope, although it's not the impression one gets if one reads a site like Parterre Box.
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); July 3rd, 2013 at 12:12 AM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Basically it's washing your dirty linen in public. Either take it to the police or shut up.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Basically it's washing your dirty linen in public. Either take it to the police or shut up.
    In the US, the typical Statute of Limitations on spousal abuse is only 3 years. So if she were in the US and these incidents happened before she first separated in October 2009, it would be too late to go to the police.

Post Thanks / Like
    In the US, the typical Statute of Limitations on spousal abuse is only 3 years. So if she were in the US and these incidents happened before she first separated in October 2009, it would be too late to go to the police.
    Where did the "happy couple" use to live? France? In this case we'd have to know what French law says.
    Well, I lived in France for five years with my wife but I never abused her, so I didn't get to know about this part of the local law, LOL.
    What I found interesting about UK law is that Nigella Lawson's husband got charged by the police/district attorney thanks to a report in the press that he had abused her, without her filing any complaint. Apparently, over there, when these matters are made public by the press, it's reason enough for the police to investigate.
    So, if they lived in the UK, Roberto would probably get taken to the police station to explain himself.

I don't really follow the blogosphere or the other sites (busy enough with this one, and with my professional life). But I'm curious to know what other sites or social media are saying about this. Does anybody know?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Almaviva View Post
    Where did the "happy couple" use to live? France? In this case we'd have to know what French law says.
    Well, I lived in France for five years with my wife but I never abused her, so I didn't get to know about this part of the local law, LOL.
    What I found interesting about UK law is that Nigella Lawson's husband got charged by the police/district attorney thanks to a report in the press that he had abused her, without her filing any complaint. Apparently, over there, when these matters are made public by the press, it's reason enough for the police to investigate.
    So, if they lived in the UK, Roberto would probably get taken to the police station to explain himself.

I don't really follow the blogosphere or the other sites (busy enough with this one, and with my professional life). But I'm curious to know what other sites or social media are saying about this. Does anybody know?
    Yes, those progressive French. They did change the law on this in 1924. Before that, the Napoleonic Code had suggested that “Women, like walnut trees, should be beaten every day.” Unfortunately, even now, the abuse also has to be reported within 3 years by the Statute of Limitations in France. But they do have some interesting aspects to their legal code. If she had reported the incidents of domestic violence in time, they would have given her a free cellphone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, those progressive French. They did change the law on this in 1924. Before that, the Napoleonic Code had suggested that “Women, like walnut trees, should be beaten every day.” Unfortunately, even now, the abuse also has to be reported within 3 years by the Statute of Limitations in France. But they do have some interesting aspects to their legal code. If she had reported the incidents of domestic violence in time, they would have given her a free cellphone.
    Hey, what if *she* had beaten him? Would he get a free cellphone? "L'Association Franšaise des Maris Battus" should do something about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like